Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-15-2010, 08:30 AM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No aperture control

on a 50mm lens. This was/is a Ricoh brand and I was told to use it on my K100D I would need to remove the pin. Well, there was only one pin and after I removed it, no aperture settings works. I have a wide open 50mm f2 lens that I'm not sure how I would use this lens. Any ideas?

Btw, I seem to have lost the pin, so I cannot replace it.

05-15-2010, 08:49 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Assuming you have Using Aperture Ring set to Permitted you will have to use the lens in M mode. The aperture indicator will read F--. Set the aperture with the ring then press the green button to set exposure.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/59272-shooting-...x-dslrs-f.html
05-15-2010, 08:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

oops...

one idea is cut a piece of paperclip or straight sewing pin or needle correct length so when inserted in pinhole actuating aperture diaphragm it is flush with opening. Then strong tape over the hole will keep the pin in position; aperture ring should then operate diaphragm.
05-15-2010, 09:12 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
boriscleto, thanks for the answer but I already know that info. I shoot mostly manual so even my AF lenses work only by me making the correct settings. Controlling AF lenses via dials. Controling M lenses via aperture ring and wheel.

Thanks for the suggestion, rhodopsin, that sounds feasible. I have paper clips, lots of them, I ran a computer shop for a while, so office supplies I have, these "straight sewing pin or needle" I've never had. ...

05-15-2010, 09:17 AM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
on a 50mm lens. This was/is a Ricoh brand and I was told to use it on my K100D I would need to remove the pin. Well, there was only one pin and after I removed it, no aperture settings works. I have a wide open 50mm f2 lens that I'm not sure how I would use this lens. Any ideas?

Btw, I seem to have lost the pin, so I cannot replace it.
The only reason you would need to remove a Ricoh pin is if it was a PK/R series lens. The Ricoh equivalent to the M and k did NOT have the pin. I'm wondering which series you have.
05-15-2010, 09:33 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
It has a P on it, next to the last f stop. So that's why I thought I had to remove the pin. Guess what? I shouldn't have....<shakes head> However, I should have realized that this lens only had one pin and the others had more than two.
05-15-2010, 11:54 AM   #7
xjx
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
It has a P on it, next to the last f stop. So that's why I thought I had to remove the pin. Guess what? I shouldn't have....<shakes head> However, I should have realized that this lens only had one pin and the others had more than two.
Are you sure removing the pin causes the problem? As far as I know, even if you remove the wrong pin, the operation of the aperture ring should not be affected. You could have done something wrong when reassembling the mount.

By the way, I assume what you said "no aperture setting works" means turning the aperture ring when the lens is off the camera doesn't change the size of the diaphragm.

Last edited by xjx; 05-15-2010 at 12:01 PM.
05-15-2010, 12:20 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I don't think so. It was reassembled just as it's supposed to be. And before removing the pin it work correctly. I don't think you can put one back together the wrong way, parts wouldn't fit correctly, right?

And yes, that last bit is what I meant. Turning the aperture ring causes no blades to close or open. It stays constantly in f2 or wide open, for whichever you prefer me to say that.
05-15-2010, 01:08 PM   #9
xjx
Forum Member

I don't think so. It was reassembled just as it's supposed to be. And before removing the pin it work correctly. I don't think you can put one back together the wrong way, parts wouldn't fit correctly, right?

And yes, that last bit is what I meant. Turning the aperture ring causes no blades to close or open. It stays constantly in f2 or wide open, for whichever you prefer me to say that.
Have you check the position of the diaphragm actuator lever? Could it be stuck at the end of the slot?
05-15-2010, 02:43 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Nope it's not stuck, but I have the lens apart now so I'll mess around and see if I can get it working correctly between tonight and the morning.
05-15-2010, 03:45 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I think I found the culprit. The " diaphragm actuator lever" wasn't inside the bracket that holds that in place. After I situated the mechanism correctly the aperture ring and the blades are opening correctly now. I still need that pin I guess, so I'll make something up tonight and put the lens back together.

Thanks xjx for suggesting this what might be wrong.
05-15-2010, 07:38 PM   #12
xjx
Forum Member

I think I found the culprit. The " diaphragm actuator lever" wasn't inside the bracket that holds that in place. After I situated the mechanism correctly the aperture ring and the blades are opening correctly now. I still need that pin I guess, so I'll make something up tonight and put the lens back together.

Thanks xjx for suggesting this what might be wrong.
Great to know the problem got solved. But if your lens is the Ricoh P type and that's the only pin removable, I would say that pin is not needed -- for good. The pin is only useful on Ricoh cameras, and can only cause trouble on Pentax cameras.
05-15-2010, 08:00 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Good, then, I'll just leave the pin out. I still have to get the screws back in but can't see to do this tonight. Not enough light here.

And since there is no feature to do this, I'm calling this thread "resolved"

Last edited by photolady95; 05-15-2010 at 08:08 PM.
05-16-2010, 05:46 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Just an update. Got the lens back together today and it's working just fine. Thanks again xjx for suggesting that the diaphragm actuator lever wasn't working.
05-16-2010, 08:03 PM - 1 Like   #15
xjx
Forum Member

Just an update. Got the lens back together today and it's working just fine. Thanks again xjx for suggesting that the diaphragm actuator lever wasn't working.
You are welcome