Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2010, 09:32 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Removing Ricoh Pin - alternatives

All,

I am trying to remove a ricoh pin from a Sears 135 K/R mount. Taking hints from the internets, I decided to go do it myself. Alas, I have one screw that won't come off and have gotten stripped. I have tried few other methods to unscrew that stripped screw, but no go. Going back to my grand objective, to safely use it on my K100, Is there another way to cut this pin out? Can I pull it out and cut it flat to the mount?

Any ideas is gladly appreciated. Thanks!

05-16-2010, 11:16 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Although I'm unsure myself, check out the similar threads below- they might have the answer

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-18-2010, 08:27 PM   #3
Forum Member

Just did this this morning to one of my new lenses. Which screw did you strip? One holding on the rear ring or one of the ones holding on the tang that holds in the pin?
05-18-2010, 09:00 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd probably try a Home Depot to see if they have a screw remover bit small enough for you. That would be my first choice.

I've never see this lens, so take this next bit with great caution.

You could, (and I stress could) ever so carefully use a very small drill bit to remove the head of that screw. If you do that It might be possible to grab the remains of the screw (once dismantled) with some fine needle nose pliers and remove it.

This sounds like an extremely risky proposition to me. I would probably try a shop first, and then if that's too much mula, I'd swing for the fences.

05-19-2010, 02:10 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Hi, i've done this to two Sears 135 lenses, pretty easy. Just get a good screwdriver, and you can do it easily. Much eaiser than you imagined. Good luck.
05-19-2010, 08:09 AM   #6

Original Poster
The problem screw is on the rear ring. The other screw were easy, but this one is extremely hard. I already purchased 2 screwdrivers and borrowed another, no go.
Screw remover bit sounds feasible, but I am not sure how small they go. The drillbit idea is kind of interesting. Now if I can find a small drill.....

Thanks for the ideas guys
05-19-2010, 09:06 AM   #7

Well, stripped screws arent that tough really. Im sure youre freaking out/panicking, but dont worry, you can get it out. Worse comes to worse, you need to take it to a jeweler and pay a small fee.

I just removed a small, stripped screw from a toy yesterday, there are many ways of doing it depending on the severity. First, try a flat head and see if you can get a hold of of edges of the stripped screw. Thats what I did yesterday, came out fine. If that doesnt work try a star bit. It might be able to get a hold of something the phillips and flat head couldnt. If neither of those work, try to cut the head just a bit to get a small flat head in the cut. Ive done this before, works great when all else fails. Take the smallest metal saw you can find and cut down into the head like youre making a new slot for a flat-head screwdriver. When the cut is deep enough, use a screwdriver.

If those methods dont work, take it to a jeweler. They can get most small, stripped screws out easily.

They KEY is using the correct tools in the first place, and having the correct tools on hand in case that fails. If you need to, go to Sears and buy a set of small screwdrivers for like $25 bucks. You can get 5 different flats, 5 different phillips and 4 different stars in a set. Theyll be life savers.

05-19-2010, 09:17 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Forget the screw. Use a dremel and just grind the pin down so it doesn't cause a problem.

The screw will probably just snap off if you torque it. Then you can't put anything back in it's place.
05-19-2010, 09:25 AM   #9

But four screws are SO EASY to take out. Much easier than buying a dremel or finding someone with one, and grinding it down. Ive take pins out of 5 lenses, it takes like 3 minutes per lens. Very simple.....unless you strip a screw. But even then, take the pins out the correct way, put them in a small baggie and keep them with the lens in case you need/want to put them back in at a later date.
05-19-2010, 09:30 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Suggest gluing a cheap screwdriver with tiny drop of epoxy on the tip to the stripped screwhead before attempting the drill method or you could end up having to drill out the hole and retap for larger screw! First clean screwhead and screwdriver tip with Acetone (extremely toxic, use only in well ventilated area).
05-19-2010, 10:03 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wildlifephotog Quote
Forget the screw. Use a dremel and just grind the pin down so it doesn't cause a problem.

The screw will probably just snap off if you torque it. Then you can't put anything back in it's place.
Agree. Use a dremel tool and grind it down or you can even take wire cutters and physically cut the head of the protruding pin off.
05-19-2010, 05:14 PM   #12
Inactive Account

DuaneV,

That's why I said forget the screw. The OP already stated he had throughly stripped a screw.
The screw is probably a 1.5mm one. I wouldn't want to have to buy the bit and tap to try and rethread it.
05-19-2010, 06:42 PM   #13

Original Poster
OK, screw the screw. The most efficient one & effective I think is to grind down the pin. Does anyone know how to pop the pin out? I don't see much pin to grind. Thanks!
05-20-2010, 02:28 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cgoudie Quote
I'd probably try a Home Depot to see if they have a screw remover bit small enough for you. That would be my first choice.

I've never see this lens, so take this next bit with great caution.

You could, (and I stress could) ever so carefully use a very small drill bit to remove the head of that screw. If you do that It might be possible to grab the remains of the screw (once dismantled) with some fine needle nose pliers and remove it.

This sounds like an extremely risky proposition to me. I would probably try a shop first, and then if that's too much mula, I'd swing for the fences.
I agree, the screw is probably countersunk so the head will be flush with the surface. Removing the head by carefully drilling it off will enable you to remove the 'part' and leave a bit of the screw thread exposed, which you can grip with pliers or maybe vice grips.
05-20-2010, 03:13 PM   #15
Inactive Account

How about a photo of the lens mount. Many of the K/R lenses had a round headed pin that doesn't cause a problem anyway.