Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
03-29-2011, 03:28 PM   #121
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can a profile created on, say the K-7 be used on pictures taken with the K-5? I know that's a very elementary question but...

03-30-2011, 02:38 AM   #122
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lawsonstone Quote
Can a profile created on, say the K-7 be used on pictures taken with the K-5? I know that's a very elementary question but...
I can't speak for that combination specifically, but I would think it possible because I've been using K7-made profiles on a K200D. Also, I've found that I can use the same profile for RAW and JPEGs. The profile was made for RAW, but by doing a find/replace for 'true' and replacing it with 'false' in a text editor, it's just as happy to do JPEGs.
06-30-2011, 01:16 PM   #123
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LensScribe Quote
I've found that I can use the same profile for RAW and JPEGs. The profile was made for RAW, but by doing a find/replace for 'true' and replacing it with 'false' in a text editor, it's just as happy to do JPEGs.
Thanks LensScribe!

That was the winning tip for me to get lens correction working in LR 3.4.1.

I have many profiles for Pentax lens, not sure where they came from because the Adobe Downloader consistently says the download failed. It's a pretty skanky hack of a program in my opinion. I can't say I'm pleased to have to install AIR to do the download either, especially since it fails with no info as to what or why. (Win 7)

Never the less I'm happy to have lens corrections and all thanks goes to forum members here.

Regards

P.S. Forgot to mention until making the true false nothing Pentax even showed up in the lists.

Last edited by riff; 06-30-2011 at 01:18 PM. Reason: P.S.
08-25-2011, 10:16 AM   #124
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mutters Quote
Greetings all.

Here's a profile I generated for the 16-45 for your appraisal/testing in Adobe Camera Raw.

It was done using DNG raw files from a K-7, but should work for all other bodies and possibly with Jpegs, Tiffs, etc.

It works for all focal lengths, but was done relatively quickly with 3 focal lengths at f5.6.

According to Adobe this is sufficient for profiling, and from personal experience it works really well on various older files I tested at different focal lengths and apertures - with my lens at least.

"Contre jour" images will need further correction in Photoshop.

Please remember to zero out any previous corrections before use.

Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

If this works for others I will post further profiles for the 12-24 and 50-135.

cheers

mutters
Does the K7 camera's "lens correction" feature do the same thing as the Adobe Camera Raw's lens correction utility? Which one is better?

08-25-2011, 07:51 PM   #125
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fredok1 Quote
Does the K7 camera's "lens correction" feature do the same thing as the Adobe Camera Raw's lens correction utility? Which one is better?
In my experience, essentially yes, however if you do corrections in Adobe Cam Raw/LR (or pentax digital utility), you can take advantage of shooting RAW and changing anything else that is not to your taste from the original capture.

If shooting jpg only (and not shooting action - the corrections slow processing of the image down), I would turn the settings on and not bother elsewhere.
08-29-2011, 07:44 AM   #126
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
In my experience, essentially yes, however if you do corrections in Adobe Cam Raw/LR (or pentax digital utility), you can take advantage of shooting RAW and changing anything else that is not to your taste from the original capture.

If shooting jpg only (and not shooting action - the corrections slow processing of the image down), I would turn the settings on and not bother elsewhere.
One further note: The in-camera processing only works with Pentax lenses, and even there, only with DA, DA*, DA L and D FA lenses, plus a handful of FA Limited lenses.

If you use third-party or older Pentax glass, you'll not get any benefit with the in-camera processing, but you will benefit from Adobe's processing if you have a good profile.
09-02-2011, 03:18 PM   #127
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote

I would only be using DA, DA*, or FA lenses shooting raw and correcting in Adobe Photoshop or Lightroom. So it would appear that there is no advantage to turning on lens correction and/or CA correction in my K-7. Is this a correct assumption?

09-06-2011, 08:36 AM   #128
Veteran Member

Correct.
09-06-2011, 02:49 PM   #129
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fredok1 Quote
So it would appear that there is no advantage to turning on lens correction and/or CA correction in my K-7. Is this a correct assumption?
Yes, as long as you only shoot RAW. The RAW image data is not affected by the camera lens corrections; the camera just adds metadata to the RAW file instructing Pentax's RAW developer to apply the respective corrections.

Anyone shooting JPGs (I wouldn't recommend it) may want to compare how the in-camera lens corrections compete against the Lightroom one's. I'm pretty sure that, for instance, CA correction in Lightroom is not done optimally and the camera may do a better job. However, the advantages of shooting RAW far outweigh such potential differences, AFAIC.
12-16-2011, 08:57 AM   #130
Pentaxian

Profiles created

[deleted]

Last edited by beholder3; 08-12-2013 at 01:48 AM.
12-16-2011, 08:59 AM   #131
Pentaxian

[deleted]

12-18-2011, 11:34 AM - 1 Like   #132
Pentaxian

[deleted]