Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-09-2010, 07:03 AM   #121
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
Beautiful shots! Thanks for explaining it. Wow, now I have to spend money on a new rare Takumar 83...

I think I've seen you before on the MF lenses forum for the rare Ennalyt 85mm lens. Are you the one with the incredible 85mm collection?
Yes! Or better: I was, as I have sold off some of my lesser-used lenses (including the 85mm Taks). It was nice for at long as it lasted, but now I know enough about them to make an educated decision about which are the best ones.

By the way, the 83mm loses out on contrast (because it's only single-coated) but this is easily correctable in PP.

07-09-2010, 07:16 AM   #122
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Yes! Or better: I was, as I have sold off some of my lesser-used lenses (including the 85mm Taks). It was nice for at long as it lasted, but now I know enough about them to make an educated decision about which are the best ones.

By the way, the 83mm loses out on contrast (because it's only single-coated) but this is easily correctable in PP.
Wow Asahiflex,
Your signature has really transformed the last few weeks! It used to be full of 85's and now there's only the FA*! (and an 83)
No pancolar? No Ennalyt? No Biotar?
I also don't see the lens that took that pic of the three 85's
07-09-2010, 07:25 AM   #123
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
Wow Asahiflex,
Your signature has really transformed the last few weeks! It used to be full of 85's and now there's only the FA*! (and an 83)
No pancolar? No Ennalyt? No Biotar?
I also don't see the lens that took that pic of the three 85's
There's simply not enough room to store everything. Everytime I add something to the list I get an error message that I've exceeded the maximum no. of characters.

I still have the Pancolar and the Biotar. Not the Ennalyt.

I also did not take that picture, but it was made with the FA* 24/2, which I don't own (yet!)
07-09-2010, 07:30 AM   #124
Veteran Member

There's simply not enough room to store everything. Everytime I add something to the list I get an error message that I've exceeded the maximum no. of characters.

I still have the Pancolar and the Biotar. Not the Ennalyt.

I also did not take that picture, but it was made with the FA* 24/2, which I don't own (yet!)
Ha! Ok. I thought for a moment the FA*85 really WAS controlling your mind. "You must sell them... sell them all!"

07-09-2010, 07:42 AM   #125
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
Ha! Ok. I thought for a moment the FA*85 really WAS controlling your mind. "You must sell them... sell them all!"
Actually it's trying to, but I still have my secret aluminium foil hat so it won't succeed
07-09-2010, 10:28 AM   #126
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Everytime I add something to the list I get an error message that I've exceeded the maximum no. of characters.

Yet another cure for LBA?
07-09-2010, 11:05 AM   #127
Veteran Member

Asahiflex, I think I saw your auctions on Ebay recently. You sold a number of high quality lenses from the Netherlands. I bid on one or two of them but they went above market value so I backed off. Congrats on the haul. Any samples with the 83 Takumar? I'm mighty curious now.

07-09-2010, 11:23 AM   #128
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
Asahiflex, I think I saw your auctions on Ebay recently. You sold a number of high quality lenses from the Netherlands. I bid on one or two of them but they went above market value so I backed off. Congrats on the haul. Any samples with the 83 Takumar? I'm mighty curious now.
Yes, that was me

While offtopic: a few samples.

Unprocessed crop of the above (remember this is a singlecoated lens and the portrait and the crop were shot wide open):

07-20-2010, 11:49 AM   #129
Pentaxian

With the upcoming Sigma 85/1.4 in mind I would like to show you a few wide-open samples of the FA* 85/1.4. I think y'all can agree with me that the Sigma surely must be a very good lens if it can better those results. I think the FA* 85 is sharper than the FA 50/1.4, but I'll leave that to you to decide.

I'm pleased to say that the FA* has *no* focusing issues at f/1.4 whatsoever. Almost all of my wide open pictures (save for some user error and/or restless kids) are perfectly in focus. And I never expected that before I got the FA*.

The last one is a 100% crop at f/1.4.

7. Crop of the above

Last edited by Asahiflex; 07-20-2010 at 11:58 AM.
07-20-2010, 01:35 PM   #130
Veteran Member

Peter, trying to pimp the FA* 85, eh?

if you can find me one for $700 in mint condition, I might get interested.

although the Sigma's new optical design, circular aperture blades and HSM at $900 is pretty much difficult to simply ignore. if it's the faster version of the Sigma 70, then boy, it is a treat. I would probably sell my 70 then.
07-20-2010, 01:40 PM   #131
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
Peter, trying to pimp the FA* 85, eh?

if you can find me one for $700 in mint condition, I might get interested.

although the Sigma's new optical design, circular aperture blades and HSM at $900 is pretty much difficult to simply ignore. if it's the faster version of the Sigma 70, then boy, it is a treat. I would probably sell my 70 then.
I hear you

I would be disappointed if the Sigma could not deliver better results. On paper it certainly looks the better of the two. But I'm sure you'll understand it does not matter to me, I will keep the FA* anyway
07-20-2010, 02:30 PM   #132
Veteran Member

I hear you

I would be disappointed if the Sigma could not deliver better results. On paper it certainly looks the better of the two. But I'm sure you'll understand it does not matter to me, I will keep the FA* anyway
of course, you won't call yourself ASAHIFLEX for nothing.

otherwise, SIGMAFLEX.
07-20-2010, 04:22 PM   #133
Veteran Member

I'm now ready to have my mind controlled

A few scratches here and there on the paint, but she feels solid as a rock.

A couple wide open f/1.4 shots from our first night together.

07-20-2010, 10:43 PM   #134
Pentaxian

Dgaies, big mistake! You will never be able to live again without it

BTW: that's quite an impressive list in your signature. The FA* fits wonderfully there.
07-21-2010, 07:07 AM   #135
Banned

We had a nice party yesterday :
I too was on that party. My FA*85mm is the one on the right.

You can see that it's a little different in design then the two others. My copy is the oldest one. The opening of this topic, Adam also has a similar design then my copy.

Anyone an idea how they differ and why????????