Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2010, 10:09 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Adaptall-2.com going away?

It looks like we are at risk of loosing another valuable resource on a "cult" section of lenses. The site is currently unavailable and is at risk of deletion.

http://www.adaptall-2.com/

06-05-2010, 10:20 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I have too many book-marks. Is that the one that had great histories and descriptions of each lens model. Diagrams of the lens construction and detailed specs on each? It was a great resource. Would be a shame to loose the data. Anyone have a contact to the author(s)
06-05-2010, 10:23 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I have too many book-marks. Is that the one that had great histories and descriptions of each lens model. Diagrams of the lens construction and detailed specs on each? It was a great resource. Would be a shame to loose the data. Anyone have a contact to the author(s)
That's the one. It also had a good bit on the Adapt-a-Matic. It also had a plethora of ad2, adaptamatic brochures etc. Its kind of like the Dimitrov for old Tammy lenses.

Edit: I don't have the contact info for them like I did for the Mforty-two project. I'll have to dig into the Way Back Machine and retrieve the info.
06-05-2010, 10:36 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
It looks like we are at risk of loosing another valuable resource on a "cult" section of lenses. The site is currently unavailable and is at risk of deletion.

http://www.adaptall-2.com/
Interesting... I think something might have happened to the guy who runs the site (maybe died, hope not though...)

If you look at this forum thread:

Manual Focus Forum / haze in Sigma 400/5.6 APO (MF white version)

You'll see that a "Michael Marcus" was posting as "TamronSP" (and he had actually registered at a number of sites with a similar handle), and always linked to adaptall-2.com and used that logo as his avatar, so I think he ran that site. He offered to fix some folks' lenses back in 2006, then they never got their lenses back or heard from him again.

Post #24 of that thread discusses what info they were able to find out about him... seems he lived in or ran a business in Ellijay, GA, so if anyone in this forum lives out there, maybe they could try to figure out what happened to him?

06-05-2010, 10:51 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm very familiar with Ellijay, Ga. It is literally on the other end of Ga from me. It is in the north east corner and Tallahassee is just below the south west corner.
06-05-2010, 11:27 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Apparently it went away a while back and it was temporarily saved by Attila at mflenses.com.

Manual Focus Lenses :: Log in
06-06-2010, 05:38 AM   #7
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

They restored it to this URL

Adaptall-2.com

06-06-2010, 08:40 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster

Adaptall-2.com

06-06-2010, 08:57 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Adaptall-2.com
Whew! Close call!

You have to wonder why they let the domain name go and switched to .org? The price to register is the same (cheap) and now everything (bookmarks, Google, etc.) is all screwed up. BTW...The domain name is still technically available, though Network Solutions (the current registrar) probably wants a premium price for it. There is a waiting period during which the original registrant can renew or the registrar can attempt to resell before the registration actually physically expires and is up for grabs.

Steve

(Worked for several years in the domain name industry...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-06-2010 at 09:05 AM.
06-06-2010, 09:36 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Whew! Close call!

You have to wonder why they let the domain name go and switched to .org? The price to register is the same (cheap) and now everything (bookmarks, Google, etc.) is all screwed up. BTW...The domain name is still technically available, though Network Solutions (the current registrar) probably wants a premium price for it. There is a waiting period during which the original registrant can renew or the registrar can attempt to resell before the registration actually physically expires and is up for grabs.

Steve

(Worked for several years in the domain name industry...)
06-06-2010, 09:54 AM   #11
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

We'll see if they want to move it to Adam's server. If they do, they will have a good, long term spot and just need to hold the domain name.