Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2007, 08:32 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sigma 18-50/f2.8 vs Tamron 28-75/f2.8 vs Sigma 24-70/f2.8?

Hi

What are your opinions on these 3 lenses? Which is sharper and better? I know one has 18mm (so is wide angle) and the others do not have. But the tamron 28-75 and sigma 24-70 have longer reach.

Opinions anyone?

I am trying to replace my kit lens which I find it extremely difficult to take photo at those insufficient lighting conditions without resort to using flash.

Thanks

08-07-2007, 11:22 AM   #2

You probably won't go wrong with any of these on a pentax body. People complain all the time about them on Canon because of incompatabilities, but luckily pentax doesn't have this problem.

I have the 18-50mm and it's a good lens but a little prone to flare. Use the lens hood religiously. I needed the wide end as it is the lens I use the most. Honestly, I probably would have picked the 24-70 and make do with the wide end (and enjoyed the longer reach for portraits) but it is substatially bigger and I didn't want to have to haul it around all the time. The tamron on film would have been the better lens but 28mm for me would be not wide enough for a standard zoom. 24mm is barely there.

I picked the 18-50 for size, weight and the wide end (I have a 100mm F2.8 for longer stuff anyway). BTW, an F2.8 zoom is nice, but if you are looking for low light performance, get a fast prime - F2.8 isn't really that fast.
08-07-2007, 11:28 AM   #3
and
Veteran Member

I would say:
1. sigma 18-50
2. tamron 28-70
3. empty...
4. empty....
5. sigma 24-70

its close between 1 and 2, more of a choice of which focal length u like more. I would prefer the 18mm wide end so i put the sigma on top
08-07-2007, 04:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
In terms of lens QC, AF speed, etc, is the tamron 28-70 better or worse than sigma 24-70?

I heard sigma has some serious QC problems. They are prone to "fogging" even when placed inside dry cabinet and the lens layer also tend to peel off after sometime. I have not been able to verify this myself though.

Do Tamron lenses have the similar issues?