Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2010, 11:30 AM   #46
Nubi

A set back

My 2002 Audi TT roadster did not pass the stupid smog test. I need a air mass sensor replaced.

$500

Rats (I actually said it worse).

06-15-2010, 11:31 AM   #47
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
Just say: Not today.
And when tomorrow comes: say the same thing.

Easy.
Hi, Bart,

Sounds like you have experience with this. I just have to say no, and not to click it.
06-15-2010, 11:49 AM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
Hi, Bart,

Sounds like you have experience with this. I just have to say no, and not to click it.
Sure. I kicked my smoking habit this way
06-15-2010, 01:41 PM   #49
Ira
Inactive Account

My 2002 Audi TT roadster did not pass the stupid smog test. I need a air mass sensor replaced.

$500

God bless Florida, for this at least:

No inspections or emissions testing.

I even cut the catalytic converter off the vehicle, as opposed to replacing it, since it went bad.

06-15-2010, 01:51 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

$500

When MAF sensors go out they usually throw a check engine light and the car runs like crap or get's bad gas mileage. Do you have any of these symptoms? Here's the backyard way of testing the MAF sensor. Most of the time it's a surefire way to tell if the MAF is bad.

Start the car and let it idle for a few minutes. Once it reaches normal operating temperature, tap on the sensor with the handle of a screwdriver. Just a few repetative taps will do. If the cars idle changes, or stumbles a bit while doing this, it is bad.

Also, check eBay for a used one. A new one for my truck is $260. I found a used one on eBay for $46.00.

Wait... Audi? Can you even find the MAF sensor under the hood with everything else packed in there?
06-15-2010, 04:29 PM   #51
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
God bless Florida, for this at least:

No inspections or emissions testing.

I even cut the catalytic converter off the vehicle, as opposed to replacing it, since it went bad.
Really?

No such luck in California. While I was at the smog inspection place, I accidentally (actually purposely) farted, and the guy told me that I didn't pass, along with the car.

That SOB.
06-15-2010, 04:40 PM   #52
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
When MAF sensors go out they usually throw a check engine light and the car runs like crap or get's bad gas mileage. Do you have any of these symptoms? Here's the backyard way of testing the MAF sensor. Most of the time it's a surefire way to tell if the MAF is bad.

Start the car and let it idle for a few minutes. Once it reaches normal operating temperature, tap on the sensor with the handle of a screwdriver. Just a few repetative taps will do. If the cars idle changes, or stumbles a bit while doing this, it is bad.

Also, check eBay for a used one. A new one for my truck is $260. I found a used one on eBay for $46.00.

Wait... Audi? Can you even find the MAF sensor under the hood with everything else packed in there?

Precisely.

Here is the history on this. About 3 years ago, that stupid check engine light all sudden came on, and obviously fearing imminent explosion I took it to my mechanic, whom I have been going for over 10 years. He checked out the car, reset the check engine light, and off I went (he did this for free). About a thousand miles later, it did the same thing. We repeated the drill again (he did this for free, again), and off I went (without being blown to bits and pieces). Then the time came to do the smog inspection. This was 2 years ago. It didn't pass then. So my mechanic reset it again (no charge, again), and I drove it around for about 30 miles, and took it back to smog inspection, and at that time the car passed, along with me I guess. Then the 2 years had passed, and this time around resetting the check engine light and driving around didn't do the trick.

So, my mechanic, who is a better diagnostician than me the physician, said that it was a air mass sensor. He got the part for $275, and charged me 200 to put it in. I need to drive around for about 100 miles and take it back.

The symptoms my car was having was exactly what you described. It had been driving like a complete shit. Although I didn't tap on this thing, I am sure my mechanic did. We trust this guy, he has been there for years and years, he has won numerous awards for his honesty (if you can believe that, a car mechanic for honesty).

So five hundreds of George Washington have left me already.

06-15-2010, 04:46 PM   #53
Veteran Member

I think Audi is definitely "off-brand forum" material.

The good news is, you're already talking about something other than lenses, which is the first step to recovery.
06-15-2010, 04:49 PM   #54
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
I think Audi is definitely "off-brand forum" material.

The good news is, you're already talking about something other than lenses, which is the first step to recovery.
I hope so! And I think you are right. Day 2 is much easier. This air mass sensor certainly held me back from "buy it now" options. Also, I was in meetings all day, and I purposely didn't bring my iPad so that I could not surf the net during the meeting. I just slept right through it.
06-15-2010, 04:57 PM   #55
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
Sure. I kicked my smoking habit this way

Very nice. I can reassure you, what you did is every bit as life saving as kicking LBA.

Excellent job. I hope you keep it up!!
06-15-2010, 09:57 PM   #56
Nubi

After careful consideration and deliberation, I have decided to let go of my gardner.

$80 x 12 months = $960

I am going to mow the lawn and trim tree branches myself. He was a real prick anyway. Times are tough.
06-16-2010, 08:01 AM   #57
emr

Hmmm.. lawn. That particular pleasure for nearly two hours is actually just waiting for me. Luckily I don't have to be alone: a gazillion mosquitos will be joining me. The upside is I only have to do this about 4 months a year. On the other hand, most of the other months I have the priviledge of shoveling snow.

On the topic of LBA: I believe you can check out any time you want, but you can never leave. But perhaps the garden variety LBA is actually a minor evil compared to the digital medium format you lust for! As the GetDPI medium format forum quotes Dante: "Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here."

Didn't know Dante spoke English.
06-16-2010, 08:04 AM   #58
Ira
Inactive Account

Really?

No such luck in California. While I was at the smog inspection place, I accidentally (actually purposely) farted, and the guy told me that I didn't pass, along with the car.

That SOB.
There's an inexpensive hardware chain called Harbor Freight, and in their circulars, every other product that runs on gas says "Not available in California."
06-16-2010, 11:12 AM   #59
Veteran Member

and charged me 200 to put it in.
You do know that it's just a simple 3-wire plug and 2 screw clamps that hold it on, right? Takes 10mins to change it out.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
There's an inexpensive hardware chain called Harbor Freight, and in their circulars, every other product that runs on gas says "Not available in California."
...and their angle grinders are garbage. I had one come apart in my hand while using it to cut through a fender. Had maybe 4hrs total use on the thing. They replaced it with another one, which promptly locked up upon startup. Their customer service is excellent, though, lol.
06-16-2010, 11:26 AM   #60
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
their angle grinders are garbage. I had one come apart in my hand while using it to cut through a fender. Had maybe 4hrs total use on the thing. They replaced it with another one, which promptly locked up upon startup. Their customer service is excellent, though, lol.
Half of the stuff is total garbage, and the other half is mostly garbage.

So an angle grinder is NOT a tool I would buy from them!!!

I go there for the stupid little things that I only need for one or two uses, like a hole-saw set.

Their bolt-together trailers are good for the price, though.