Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2010, 04:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Distinguishing Vivitar TX vs T4 mounts when on a lens - possible?

Hi folks,

I'm wondering if it is possible to tell Vivitar TX and T4 mounts apart when they are on a lens. Anyone know?

07-28-2010, 03:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gabriel_bc Quote
Hi folks,

I'm wondering if it is possible to tell Vivitar TX and T4 mounts apart when they are on a lens. Anyone know?
Which mount - M42?

The first two are T4, the third is Tx

In this case you'd know because TX is the only one supporting P/ES - i.e. the SMC style M42.

I don't know if there was a TX non-ES M42 mount... probably there was, but maybe it would have been the Fuji open aperture style or something.

If it is possible to pop the mount off, it will say which it is on the mount and on the lens, but you know that already
07-28-2010, 03:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I just got one of these in M42 for like $5 plus shipping. 75MM-260MM, Tokina, I think. It's coming today and I can't wait to try it out and see. It's my first long lens in M42. It's not a Takumar but I'm still hoping it's pretty nice. My 300MM C/Y Vivitar seems to be. I've seen some good comments elsewhere on the one I snagged. I guess for $5 it will be a bargain any which way you look at it unless it turns out the thing doesn't work at all. Certainly the swappable mount is a really good thing. Means my AE-1 finally has a long lens too if I decide I want to keep it.

Last edited by magkelly; 07-28-2010 at 03:50 AM.
07-28-2010, 09:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for those pictures. I'm looking either for the m42 or PK mount in the T4 version because the lens I'm considering buying is a T4 lens. Do you know if the TX and T4 mounts interchange? I've seen it said on the web that it works one way but not the other. Is the TX or the T4 the earlier mount?

The idea is to be able to (hopefully) tell the difference on eB@y auctions with uncertain sellers...

07-29-2010, 05:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The T4 is the earlier mount. I don't believe there is a K mount in T4 - the mount lacks the set-aperture sensor, and thus is limited to earlier mounts. I could be wrong.

TX is the next generation mount with aperture sensing, permitting open aperture metering. Thus the P/ES mount, and Nikon Ai mount. There is a TX K mount, I've seen them on ebay.

On the web, it is said that you can mount a TX on a T4 lens, but rarely the other way around. Well, I managed to mount the TX on the 200mm T4, however I only got f/4 instead of f/3.5. So it can be done, with limitations