Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2007, 08:13 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Experiences with Pentax F 17-28mm f3.5 fisheye?

Hi, can anyone share any experiences with this lens? I had been thinking of a Zenitar but I thought maybe the auto feautres and the variable focal length might be worth the additional money. At first I thought the 17mm was too close to the kit 18mm to make much difference, but I think the fisheye factor makes for a noticeably wider FOV. I can always straighten out the fisheye effect in Photoshop should I need an undistorted image. And being how it started life as a film lens, I'm thinking that I can keep it should Pentax ever release a full frame DSLR. Or is that too pie-in-the sky?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by G_Money; 10-12-2007 at 02:57 PM.
08-25-2007, 10:43 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's a fish-eye (180 degrees diagonally) on a film camera. On a digital camera the angle of view is less and the distrotion not that pronounced. It is still much wider at 17mm than a regular 18mm lens, though.

Here are some shots I made with it; it comes in handy in cramped quarters like the engine shed:

17-28 Fish-Eye Photo Gallery
08-26-2007, 06:24 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Ole, nice shots. I think it'll be a keeper, your stuff gives me something to aim for. Here's all I've done with it so far, but I think you live in a much more photogenic part of the world than do I.

08-26-2007, 07:47 AM   #4
Ole
Administrator

I like your picture, they way you make use of the field as foreground.

01-05-2010, 12:21 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm sort of amazed at how little has been said about this lens on the pentaxforums.com, so I thought I'd resurrect this thread. I think it is a HOOT, even on the crop (K200D) and when it was made it was the only lens even remotely like it (fisheye zoom).

Last edited by cheekygeek; 01-05-2010 at 04:19 PM.