Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-20-2010, 11:51 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sigma 120-400mm DG OS HSM for Pentax - anyone tried it yet?

I have just received my copy of "Chasseur d'Images", a well known photography magazine Iin French) and there is mention of the now available-for-Pentax mount Sigma 120-400/4.5-5.6 DG zoom lens.

Because this wasn't previously available for Pentax, and it is now, I was wondering if anyone has had the luck to test/try it out.

JP

08-20-2010, 05:33 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I take it that the version you're taking about is different than this one: Sigma Sigma APO 120-400mm F4.5-5.6 DG HSM Lens Reviews - Pentax Third-Party Lens Review Database ?

If so, then I think we should add it the database!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-21-2010, 03:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I believe it is the same lens that is already posted and reviewed in the lens database. The OS is not available in Pentax and Sony incarnations. The Sigma website shows only one 120-400mm F4.5-5.6 DG APO OS HSM lens and their recently discontinued listing does not show a 120-400mm
08-21-2010, 04:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The sigma lens chart shows the pentax version having OS but no HSM. Does that mean screwdrive? If so that may be a good thing for speed, I know the 100-300mm was faster than my da300mm was. I will say for telephoto, a stabilised viewfinder (and AF sensor) is very nice.

08-23-2010, 08:38 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I looked pretty much all over for specifications of this lens and it seems like we are talking about the same lens.
Whether the OS is or not available for Pentax, I don't know.
What I was really interestid in was an actual report of some sort from a user, with a Pentax camera of course.
I suppose someone out there might have this set up?

JP
08-24-2010, 05:57 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The site shows this (which contradicts itself):

"Pentax OS

OS - Optical Stabilizer Function
HSM - Hyper-Sonic Motor
CONV - APO Teleconverter EX
D - Distance Information Function

* For Pentax and Sony mount, OS function is not available."

The HSM functioned on the K7 and was very fast and there was no OS. I received a bad copy of the lens and returned it. I could not get it to focus properly no matter what I did.
08-25-2010, 11:24 AM   #7

Definitely HSM but no OS?

I have a copy of the non-OS version and can confirm it has HSM (very fast and even works with PZ teleconverters, which is nice). Mine focuses quickly and accurately. It is a fine lens, if a tad soft on the long end.

When this lens was first announced (2008?), it was described as being available in all major mounts with OS and HSM, but I have never seen a Pentax OS version and suspect the market was too small to justify this.

Mike

08-25-2010, 04:11 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stringmike Quote
I have a copy of the non-OS version and can confirm it has HSM (very fast and even works with PZ teleconverters, which is nice). Mine focuses quickly and accurately. It is a fine lens, if a tad soft on the long end.

When this lens was first announced (2008?), it was described as being available in all major mounts with OS and HSM, but I have never seen a Pentax OS version and suspect the market was too small to justify this.

Mike
Whether your copy is "OS" or not, I would like to know how yours performs, besides being a bit soft at the long end (as you mention), and on which camera?
Is this softness at the long end really a deterrent for, let's say, bird photography?
Thanks for the reply!

Cheers.

JP
08-25-2010, 09:42 PM   #9

WIll post sample photos tomorrow

I don't have a really good selection of photos to share yet, but I'll go and take a few tomorrow as I've been wanting to do some comparison tests anyway. I am also interested to see how it handles teleconverters for a bit of extra reach.

I have used it with both my K10D and K20D, but plan to use it most with the latter.

As mentioned, autofocus is silent, quick and accurate.

Mike
08-26-2010, 04:51 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I don't have a really good selection of photos to share yet, but I'll go and take a few tomorrow as I've been wanting to do some comparison tests anyway. I am also interested to see how it handles teleconverters for a bit of extra reach.

I have used it with both my K10D and K20D, but plan to use it most with the latter.

Mike
Mike, really looking forward to this, expecially performance at 400 with and without a 1.4 TC (optical and AF).

Thanks!

P.S: Thanks for the thread JP.
08-26-2010, 07:51 AM   #11

SRS here in the UK are selling the OS HSM version in Pentax mount.
08-26-2010, 03:27 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MrCynical Quote
A lot of stores make that mistake with their labelling.
08-26-2010, 04:47 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster

Mike
Looking good then!
Because I am still, and forever, on the lookout for a GOOD tele lens/tele-zoom, whatever, this Sigma makes it look like a possibility for me.
Of course, I have searched for a "portable" 400mm for quite some time and either I miss the auction or it is not quite what I am looking for.
Anyway, I am looking forward to see those sample shots.
Can you please have a couple shots taken at the very long end of the range?

Cheers for now.

JP
08-26-2010, 04:50 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
Mike, really looking forward to this, expecially performance at 400 with and without a 1.4 TC (optical and AF).

Thanks!

P.S: Thanks for the thread JP.
My pleasure!
I am looking forward to this too ...

By the way, I have a A-FA 1.7X adapter which I don't use often enough. I suppose I should but everytime I do it seems that my shots are always "softer" with using the DA*300/4.

... just checked at the Sigma website and I don't think my 1.7x TC would work with the Sigma !?? I says :"* The Pentax mount Tele Converter is not compatible with this particular lens."

JP

Last edited by jpzk; 08-26-2010 at 04:54 PM. Reason: added info
08-26-2010, 04:57 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MrCynical Quote
I got this from the Sigma website: "* For Pentax and Sony mount, OS function is not available."

... and neither the K-mount TC will work on that lens; you'd need a dedicated Sigma TC.