Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-27-2010, 06:21 PM   #31
Veteran Member

my is 3015xxx and the second of the old one.
so i think you will never find the first again.

08-27-2010, 08:21 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
So my quest to get another copy of a 301xxxx is next to hopeless?
If you're looking for another 301xxxx that does not have the lip, then it sounds like that might be more difficult to come by as by the time they go to somewhere in the 3014xxx it switched to the version 1b (see post #18).

If you just want a copy that uses the older hood, that would be a lot easier (several of the ones on ebay right now are the version 1b).

Adam, is your other FA*85 the "version 2" with the newer hood?
08-28-2010, 01:59 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
In any case, I'm on the lookout for a third copy of this lens, as 95% of my photos are taken with it.
Three copies of the FA* 85??? Oh, the decadence...

I know that I love my FA* 85 to death already; it performs remarkably well even wide open (something that I never expected prior to purchasing it). Maybe I'll buy another one too just in case.
08-28-2010, 06:16 AM   #34
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yup, it's version 2. Not sure I like that lip above the aperture ring, but I would have never noticed it if not this thread! I could have sworn it wasn't there until I took another look.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-28-2010, 06:55 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yup, it's version 2. Not sure I like that lip above the aperture ring, but I would have never noticed it if not this thread! I could have sworn it wasn't there until I took another look.
Well at least you'll know what to look for when you're shopping for your third
08-28-2010, 07:03 AM   #36
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I could also just buy a newer one and then archive my current 301 in the collection!

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-28-2010, 12:33 PM   #37
Banned

It would be nice if everyone ads pictures of their FA*85mm copy to this thread and noting the differences. Maybe there wil be a fourth change in the line somewhere we did not yet discovered.

08-28-2010, 04:04 PM   #38
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Just bought a mint 1b in box tongue

Now I've got all 3! Time to write the article

Adam

08-28-2010, 04:28 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just bought a mint 1b in box :tongue:

Sweet. I guess if I need to jump on that early serial number 1a I found earlier this morning to go with my version 1b and 2

Then again, I'd still be down at least a hood and a box on you
08-28-2010, 04:51 PM   #40
Banned

Just bought a mint 1b in box :tongue:

So you hope that there aren't more versions.

Let's see those baby's on a row in a picture
08-28-2010, 05:24 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I updated post #18 with some additional serial numbers I found on ebay (including a couple version 1a lenses).

Quick question for anyone who has both the 77 and 85:
Other than being a lot smaller and lighter, are there any times you'd prefer the 77 over 85?
08-28-2010, 05:36 PM   #42
Ole
Administrator

Shame on me but I hardly ever use my 77. The A 85/1.4 and Takumar 85/1.9 stands in the way! I have an FA*85 coming so we'll see how that will rank (how may 85mm lenses does a man need??)!
08-28-2010, 05:46 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Shame on me but I hardly ever use my 77. The A 85/1.4 and Takumar 85/1.9 stands in the way! I have an FA*85 coming so we'll see how that will rank (how may 85mm lenses does a man need??)!
This is probably the wrong thread to ask a question like that
08-28-2010, 06:23 PM   #44
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Sneaky sneaky!

BTW, I've started a social group for our cause: Pentax FA* 85mm F1.4 Fans - PentaxForums.com

Once I have all 3 lenses, I will upload a photo comparison there as well as to the lens database.

Adam

08-28-2010, 06:27 PM   #45
Administrator
Site Webmaster

BTW, there are also 302xxxx serial numbers: I saw one on eBay today (it was a 1b).

Adam