Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2010, 05:16 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Great lens repair experience

I purchased a DA 21 LTD from a forum member here. The price was good, and the seller mentionned that the focus ring was a little stiff, but that "he never noticed it"...

Well it was stiff enough that my K20D could not focus it. I brought the lens to Service Camera Pro in Quebec city, and, under two days, for the price difference between what I paid and the usual price, I got a flawlessly working lens!

I gotta say a fully functional LTD is a smoooooth thing to focus! Amazing! The repairmen had never had to work with that particular jewel, and he was really, really impressed at the quality (he shoots medium formats, but said I'd just convinced him to recommend Pentax to friends interested in APS-C).

Anyone in the vicinity looking for a repair shop can look safely at Service Camera Pro. I believe they also take mail-in orders.

For the record, Pentax wanted 150$ just to look at the lens, plus the actual cost ofthe repair. Not really a deal...

08-31-2010, 06:11 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow- that's great that there are some good third-party repair shops still around.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-31-2010, 11:28 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Location: Living in Vancouver, BC, born in Melbourne Australia
Photos: Albums
Fantastic.

Could anyone recommend somewhere in Vancouver B.C

I have two lenses (Sigma 17-70) and my FA 200* that have spots of dust in them that I would really like to have removed.

Thanks

Andrew
08-31-2010, 11:53 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lats Quote
Fantastic.

Could anyone recommend somewhere in Vancouver B.C

I have two lenses (Sigma 17-70) and my FA 200* that have spots of dust in them that I would really like to have removed.

Thanks

Andrew
Andrew, if I were you I'd leave the spots alone. Dust is NORMAL in a lens of any age and does not degrade the image quality at all.

08-31-2010, 01:51 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Andrew, if I were you I'd leave the spots alone. Dust is NORMAL in a lens of any age and does not degrade the image quality at all.
Agreed. Dust is normal. Not worth the cost or risk.
08-31-2010, 02:41 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Location: Living in Vancouver, BC, born in Melbourne Australia
Yes,
But there are spots appearing on my images when I use both lenses....
In consistant spots (but different per lens so i'm pretty sure it's not my sensor)
I'll try and dig some examples out.
09-01-2010, 05:00 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
For people with stiff focus or zoom rings, apparently there are tumblers in there that can be misaligned when a lens is hit (that was my particular problem). Just realigning them solved the problem.