Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2010, 02:20 PM   #1
Inactive Account

treasure trove. the box of "vintage Pentax" items

A few of you all helped me decide to get this box of goodies. so here's the prize! I will start with the 35-70mm and vintage camera. the manuals are even here. believe it or not the lens works beautifully (minus the AF feature of course) and has no dust or scratches. its amazing something that old is in such great shape

next the 55mm and the pentax adaptor. No scratches, takes good exposures, no dust... I am really excited to play with this one

next is the 60-300. no scratches, no dust, shutter works properly for good exposure. my only thing with this one is... uh... its like chinese to me. cant wait to learn more about it

next... sears 135. note the dust inside. i see 3 pieces of dust inside the lens. so this I am figuring is not of much use? also superficial scratches... on the front lens

which brings us to the 80-200, no scratches, no dust. again, chinese to me.

so that was the bunch of lens.

then converters:

know nothing about them or if they will work with my camera...

filters:

bellow, no holes.. what are bellows used for?

light meter

cheesy "framer"

yes she was mad at me because I didnt have my full attn on her..

camera that I am sure is older than me... i will have to check on the date.

and other random things... catalogs from 1989...

so... what do i need to know? links for these macro lens? anything worth anything?

ok, going to take my kid outside and see what these things can do!

09-01-2010, 02:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

wow that's a lot of stuff!

I wonder what those brandless lenses can do. please enlighten us.
09-01-2010, 02:37 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Dust inside a lens has no effect on picture quality. Dust on the sensor is another matter.
09-01-2010, 02:49 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by CEWren Quote
bellow, no holes.. what are bellows used for?
Bellows can be used for macro photography.

09-01-2010, 02:52 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The tele-converters look like they are screw mount. They should work with the Pentax Adapter K you got. They will turn that 55 F1.8 into a 110 F3.6. The bellows looks like it is also screw mount.
09-01-2010, 03:34 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
they both are screw mounts. I just played with all the goods minus the sears ricoh pin lens (pin isnt removed yet). everything shoots great except the 135.. sometimes it shoots great, other times the photo comes out underexposed... Shutter seems sluggish at times.

I can not enlighten. I am a total noob. I need enlightenment I am doing well with my kit lens but desired a few more lenses to play with... I wanted better bokah also. In an attempt to search for some cheap used lenses I stumbled upon this bunch. The price was right.

now I want a 50mm and a 35.. maybe christmas, hint husband hint.

I played with the 80-200 lens. there are two twists (I am sure that is not the correct label for them, forgive my poor amature self) that focus. how do I know which to focus first? I am sure there is a great post here somewhere... or do i need to head over to the begginers corner??
09-01-2010, 03:34 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
i will try to get some photo examples to post...

09-01-2010, 03:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I think you brought this up on another forum. I volunteered to dispose of anything you don't need, eh? Yes, you made a good score. Check the bellows for holes. And DON'T PUT THAT FLASH ON A dSLR! YOU *WILL* FRY THE CAMERA ELECTRONICS! Don't brick your camera.
09-01-2010, 03:46 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Careful with that pamplet in bottom center of 2nd to last CE, its "loaded"
09-01-2010, 04:21 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I played with the 80-200 lens. there are two twists (I am sure that is not the correct label for them, forgive my poor amature self) that focus. how do I know which to focus first? I am sure there is a great post here somewhere... or do i need to head over to the begginers corner??
The 80-200 is a two-touch zoom. One of the rings is for the zoom, the other is for focusing. Two-touch zooms are less intuitive to use than a one-touch, but they are less likely to develop zoom-creep.

I assume the 60-300 is a one-touch, push-pull to zoom and twist to focus.
09-01-2010, 04:40 PM   #11
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Concentrate on your lenses one at a time, in this order:

1) SMC Pentax 35-70 Zoom

2) Sears 55

3) Sears 135

4) The others in a few months, because God knows what they are.

The 35-70 is a fantastic range for a good quality zoom lens.
09-01-2010, 04:59 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
the rubber around the 35-75 is noisey when I focus it. it focus's just fine, but it sounds like I am focusing in an automatic focus setting.. does anyone know if that is how they always are? the little on off for the auto focus is missing but it is on manual focus... just doesnt sound that way.. I was kinda afraid to use it too much since i heard it was a "collectable? but you think I should work with it first before the 55 huh?

the others are all Sears brand...

Bill M, I will be sure to check that pamphlet out. Loaded in a good or bad way??

Rio, LOL. I hear ya.

LOL on the flash. I hadnt even thought to put that on my camera, but now I will know for definate sure not too.. that thing looks like it was the first flash ever made for cameras

that would be a good thread "things you can do to brick your camera"

will try and post pics of the few lens I took out for a play after the kid goes to bed
09-01-2010, 06:37 PM   #13
Veteran Member

In a good way CE, all the "goodies" to accessorize your bellows are contained,
amazing how versatile bellows is, whole package is "way cool"
kinda curious how 35-70 images, remember "hoopla", never seen many pics from one
Think lot of folks are having good time with your thread
Cheers,
Bill
09-01-2010, 07:05 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
glad to create some entertainment

I just uploaded to walmart.com (I store my photo's here just in case the computer would crash, dont worry, I dont print with them... there quality sucks) so these photo's arent "flikr" quality images, but here ya go...

oh wait, another disclosure... I these were my first time ever touching a fully manual lens. yes I shoot in manual (AV mode today... too much to take in with the meter not being easy to access) yes, i have toyed with manual focus when not taking pics of my toddler, but dont judge me by these pics, LOL. Just playing with the new goods.

didnt mount the 60-300 yet. husband is taking it apart now for the pin
kit lens: yes, i am a mom, yes that is the top of a little tikes car. yes my kid was trying to get the bottle off the whole time. and yes my white balance was off... (and yes, I am a woman and I talk too much... type too much too. sorry, ha ha)

80-200

above is soft.. I need practice

love the bokah on the 55

first shot in the car with the 55 on the way home (again, white balance off, sorry.)... a few mins after this i thought the adaptor was stuck in my camera forever and wanted to cry ha ha

35-70. I will play with this one more tomorrow and post it for you all since you are interested in it. I couldnt believe this one even worked for the age of it. The MEF camera is junk though. it rattles and looking thru the viewfinder it looks... well.. yeah, no good. no biggie since I didnt plan on using it

135.. I think this one is junk too. The shutter didnt seem to be releasing right some of the time. Look at the inconsistancy... they were taken back to back:

ok, this one, i know I limb chopped but I was pretty darn proud of the fact that I manual focused her running and actually got a sharp exposure. I want to learn "catch in focus" sometime

all in AV mode, wide open

so what would you like me to try with the 35-70. any special requests? any challenges for me? I love challenges
09-01-2010, 07:28 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
cheesy "framer"

yes she was mad at me because I didnt have my full attn on her..
Those are bokeh masks. They in focus areas are sharp, and the out of focus highlights take the shape of the mask.