Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-11-2011, 01:00 PM   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
Again very interesting - thanks dgaies. More food for thought !

At present I'm using the Tamron BB 500mm Mirror for my long range shooting (manual focus of course) so having to do that with the AFA doesn't bother me at all since it locks in really fast once you're in the ballpark. My experiences with the Tamron 1.4x on other lenses are identical to yours - it seems to work well with everything - however it does focus hunt a lot.
Without getting too far off topic (as this thread is about the 60-250), I will say that the Tamron 1.4x works very well with the Tamron 70-200 in terms of IQ. Focus still hunts a bit depending on the situation, but overall they work better together than the 1.4x does with the DA* lenses.

02-12-2011, 03:54 AM - 2 Likes   #62
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think you are all getting a little carried away with "sharpness" !
It has not been that long ago when the IQ quality of today's glass would have made people drool from the corner of your mouths. Today when a lens is very sharp and consequently a newer model or a competitors lens is deemed to be sharper when analyzed under an "atomic high frequency thingymejigsomethingorother" we dismiss anything else as no good. What nonsense.

If you are not happy with the sharpness of a picture taken with, say, the 60-250 you won't be happy with "the other sharper lens" either. In this case you might be better off to print out the anatomic test result of the other lens, frame that, and hang it on the wall.

Also don't forget the sharpness of images taken with a long lens is dependent on a lot of other conditions. Temperature shimmer or haze, air humidity, wind, glare and last but not least steady hands if you are shooting free hand (after a day of heavy drinking?) all play a part.

The other question I ask myself over and over when I read reports that say this and this lens is sharper than this and this one; what do people do with their photos. I print professionally A3+ Giclee fine art at 300 DPI and the amount of pixels and detail coming off the 60-250 and the PENTAX K5 for example is more than enough to go even bigger than A3+ and they will still be sharp enough to make your eyes bleed. Not to mention postcard size prints. A lot of people view their pics on uncalibrated computer screens or plasma TVs and here half an atom width of extra resolution of the "OTHER" lens makes even less of a difference.

So when some, in their opinion, say the 300 is sharper than the 60-250 this is purely, utterly and completely academic and has no meaning or value in the real world. Both lenses in question ARE sharp and IF there IS any difference it does not matter.

If any of you deliberate with yourselves and agonize for weeks and weeks over which of the two above mentioned lenses you should buy, than don't let the sharpness argument give you sleepless nights, instead base your decision on other things that matter to you in the knowledge that both lenses give you more "sharpness" than you will ever know what to do with.

As for me I prefer the flexibility of the 60-250 and my highly acclaimed PENTAX-F 1.7 AF adapter provides me with the extra reach should I ever need it. (I guess I am lucky to own one of these.) The enclosed picture was shot with the 60-250 and the adapter at max focal length hand held.

Oh, and one more thing. A great picture doesn't always have to be sharp. Just Google "famous photos" and count the ones that are sharp.

Greetings from sunny Melbourne

Last edited by Schraubstock; 07-24-2011 at 03:09 AM.
02-12-2011, 07:38 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Great post Schraubstock *applauds*.

However there is a reason for some to look for the sharpest lense on the block (esp. so if you are a Pentax shooter and don't have access to very long lenses - or don't want to pay the price - and don't want to switch to CaNikon). If you want to shoot birds / wildlife and then take serious crops, especially with a TC attached, then sharpness is very important, if not critical.

I'm currently printing at 16x12 and am also putting together a book for my family & friends, so it is important to have the detail there before I crop and print. I don't think anyone can say it isn't important in some/many cases.

I am really impressed with that shot of yours taken with the 60-250 + x1.7, lots of detail (the narrow DoF is visible too) !
02-16-2011, 03:04 AM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A couple of fish shots (Chromobotia macracanthus) and a green leguan :-)

I have used the lens with both the K20D and K5 and I must say that the K5 with it's clean high ISO and snappy auto focus really opens up the usefulness of the 60-250.

ISO1600 at 180mm, f4

ISO3200 at 170mm, f4

ISO3200 at 200mm, f4

02-17-2011, 05:01 AM   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just one more shot to demonstrate the 60-250's ability. This was taken from about 80m away (free hand) and please observe the piece of spider gossamer hanging off the top left side of the chimney.

Greetings from sunny Melbourne

Last edited by Schraubstock; 07-24-2011 at 03:09 AM.
02-17-2011, 09:11 AM   #66
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Here are some of my photos with the DA* 60-250 that I have rented on a few occasions. Most recently for a trip to Florida and during an Orlando Magic game. I will be posting photos to my Flickr page later tonight where I used this lens at Disney quite a bit.

Flickr: Search dietzy2320's photostream

Also posted a blog post about my impressions of this lens a little while back.

Review: Pentax DA* 60-250mm f/4 Photoburgh
02-17-2011, 04:25 PM   #67
Site Supporter

Ok, First shots with my new 60-250mm. Haven't had much of a chance to try it out. My Dad has had a double knee replacement this week and I have been taking care of my mother who has alzheimers.....busy week. Did take Mom to see the ducks today and took a few shots.
I Love this lens.

Attached Images

02-17-2011, 09:14 PM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GaryH Quote
Ok, First shots with my new 60-250mm. Haven't had much of a chance to try it out. My Dad has had a double knee replacement this week and I have been taking care of my mother who has alzheimers.....busy week. Did take Mom to see the ducks today and took a few shots.
I Love this lens.
It's been a long time since I've seen one of those Bushy Tailed Long Whiskered Ducks - nice shot
02-18-2011, 11:10 AM   #69
Site Supporter

LOL. Yeah, the squirrel kept skirting the ducks and geese wanting to partake in the cracker feast.
03-14-2011, 11:00 AM   #70
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was out today, because it's sunny.. and took a few shots of the dogs. I'm really starting to love this lens.

03-14-2011, 11:10 AM   #71
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice doggies!

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I was out today, because it's sunny.. and took a few shots of the dogs. I'm really starting to love this lens!
Love the pouncing Border Collie. Fantastic!

Cheers,
Cameron
03-14-2011, 11:43 AM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
Love the pouncing Border Collie. Fantastic!

Cheers,
Cameron
Ditto - great catch Norm.
03-17-2011, 01:02 AM   #73
nah

QuoteOriginally posted by pghwarrior23 Quote
Here are some of my photos with the DA* 60-250 that I have rented on a few occasions. Most recently for a trip to Florida and during an Orlando Magic game. I will be posting photos to my Flickr page later tonight where I used this lens at Disney quite a bit.

Flickr: Search dietzy2320's photostream

Also posted a blog post about my impressions of this lens a little while back.

Review: Pentax DA* 60-250mm f/4 Photoburgh
I'm surprised they allow you to take such a long lens in. In Vancouver here, any sporting event will allow at max 30-50mm. Maybe it's just Vancouver being weird.