Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
09-25-2010, 11:05 AM   #1
Nubi

Annihilation of Pentax lens line up - death of FA ltds

deleted

Last edited by MRRiley; 09-26-2010 at 07:05 AM. Reason: Vulgarity will not be tolerated on this forum
09-25-2010, 11:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mixed feeling.... would we see k-5 price plummet?
09-25-2010, 11:17 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This is nothing more than a signal that Pentax has no plans for a FF.
09-25-2010, 11:23 AM   #4
Forum Member

Problematic. Really. At least for me. Not good. K-x indeed is the wonder, but it's the only one in Pentax's lineup... K-r is "a bit" expensive to those features it has... I think it's not logical to throw away "hi-end" products and be satisfied with only "mainstream" solutions...

Fast Primes are the sweetest of all lens in my opinion and getting rid of its whole production line won't have good consequences I guess...

I just hope people in Pentax know what they're doing for sure...

09-25-2010, 11:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
They said: Pentax way to survive is APS-C + 645. Point. Period.
I don't like it, but this is so.
09-25-2010, 11:30 AM   #6
Nubi

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
They said: Pentax way to survive is APS-C + 645. Point. Period.
I don't like it, but this is so.
Hi, Blende8.

First of all, thank you for that valuable info. Sometimes you get answers like this by asking the right questions to them, which is easier said than done.

I don't like it either. But, at the end of the day, the gears we have are probably more than adequate for most of the stuff most of us do. Maybe we ought to suck it up and just go shooting.

I am disappointed that Pentax is handling the jewels of their line up like an outdated fashion style. I don't know if they realize how much of their good reputations in lenses have a lot do with their FA ltds. In my opinion far more than DA ltds can offer.
09-25-2010, 11:35 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
I don't like it either. But, at the end of the day, the gears we have are probably more than adequate for most of the stuff most of us do. Maybe we ought to suck it up and just go shooting.

I am disappointed that Pentax is handling the jewels of their line up like an outdated fashion style. I don't know if they realize how much of their good reputations in lenses have a lot do with their FA ltds. In my opinion far more than DA ltds can offer.
Right!
And I think that even most at Pentax Germany would agree.
You cannot understand those Japanese.

09-25-2010, 11:41 AM   #8
Forum Member

The one reason I chose Pentax was that it has such lens compatibility that NO OTHER BRAND OFFERS. Neither Canon, nor Nikon, Olympus or whatever... It'll be bad if they really kill FA
09-25-2010, 11:51 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Maybe we should all send them emails to show that there is still a big demand for these lenses. Surely after a few hundred emails, they would rethink their decision to end them?
09-25-2010, 11:54 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If this is true, I am extremely disappointed in Pentax. No FF? no big deal. I've never wanted to go full frame. But to discontinue the crown jewels, the rock stars, of your lens line up is beyond stupid. Maybe I should re-think my loyality. It's obvious that they don't care much about the photo enthusiast.

NaCl(to say I'm bummed would be a massive understatement)H2O
09-25-2010, 12:05 PM   #11
Veteran Member

While I understand the sentiment about the FA limiteds, I just don't see how their discontinuation will lead to the death of Pentax. I'd bet that less than 5% of new Pentax users (i.e., those that became a Pentaxian after, say, the K-7 and K-m) have every bought an FA limited lens. And it makes sense; why would they spend $$$ on lenses with dated designs (definitely not designed for digital sensors), that are large and heavy compared to the DA limiteds? The answer is, they wouldn't.

The simple fact that they are discontinuing the line is the proof. They had to raise the price of FA limiteds across the board, and they *still* are going to discontinue them. What does that mean? It means the FA limited weren't selling. At all. So, contrary to what the marketing experts here think, it's the *continuation* of the FA limited line that would put Pentax in financial jeopardy, not the other way around.

Regarding replacements; I think it's going to be one or the other. They already have a pretty impressive lineup of DA limited primes (15, 21, 40, 70) and non-limited DA primes (14, 35, 100 macro). The only thing really missig are the super-fast primes. For that, there will be the DA* primes. Currently there's only one, 55/1.4, which effectively replaces the 77/1.8 (and 1/2 stop faster to boot). I think at some point, they'll make a DA* 30/1.4. Frankly, I don't think there's much else that's needed.
09-25-2010, 12:08 PM   #12
emr

This piece of news as well as most of the recent product announcements show that Pentax sees their future and profits in the colorful entry level. The hello-kitty-cams for teenage girls. And while they produce a pro level 645D and a "prothusiast" K-5, their obvious concentration on the other end of the product line makes me very hesitant to invest any further in the brand. But I guess my current gear will still work and be able to produce better images than I'm capable of taking. But if I end up investing (or is it wasting for us who don't make a cent from photography? ) significant amounts of money in the future in photography gear, I'm afraid it will go somewhere else.
09-25-2010, 12:31 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RawheaD Quote
While I understand the sentiment about the FA limiteds, I just don't see how their discontinuation will lead to the death of Pentax. I'd bet that less than 5% of new Pentax users (i.e., those that became a Pentaxian after, say, the K-7 and K-m) have every bought an FA limited lens. And it makes sense; why would they spend $$$ on lenses with dated designs (definitely not designed for digital sensors), that are large and heavy compared to the DA limiteds? The answer is, they wouldn't.

The simple fact that they are discontinuing the line is the proof. They had to raise the price of FA limiteds across the board, and they *still* are going to discontinue them. What does that mean? It means the FA limited weren't selling. At all. So, contrary to what the marketing experts here think, it's the *continuation* of the FA limited line that would put Pentax in financial jeopardy, not the other way around.

Regarding replacements; I think it's going to be one or the other. They already have a pretty impressive lineup of DA limited primes (15, 21, 40, 70) and non-limited DA primes (14, 35, 100 macro). The only thing really missig are the super-fast primes. For that, there will be the DA* primes. Currently there's only one, 55/1.4, which effectively replaces the 77/1.8 (and 1/2 stop faster to boot). I think at some point, they'll make a DA* 30/1.4. Frankly, I don't think there's much else that's needed.
I never thought it was the death of Pentax, just the death of my involvement in Pentax. To me (and in the end that's all I care about) the discontinuance of the FA Ltd line is saying "we really don't care much about the enthusiast hobby photographer we will concentrate on the entry level and let those who have gone beyond that fend as they may". It's kinda a slap in the face. This is on top of what looks to be a very disorganized K-5 product launch, with no real direction from the top, conflicting specifications, prices and general lack of clarity.

NaCl(not a good job Pentax)H2O
09-25-2010, 12:38 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

I think the K5 looks like a great camera. Unfortunately, I have my doubts about Pentax surviving. I was going to get a K5 but decided to go with the Sony A55 instead. I guess I'll still use my K7 and DA 15-70mm until the shutter gives out. My niece is getting the KX. I'll miss Pentax but there's really nothing anyone individually can do to save the company. I suppose they just don't have the resources to compete against larger companies.

Sad as I am about Pentax, I'm pretty excited about the Sony and the upcoming Fuji X100.
09-25-2010, 12:47 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Well, they are still making the DA Ltds, correct?

If they don't make 35mm bodies anymore, neither have a FF body, it makes sense to drop the production on FA Ltds.
Closed Thread