Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-02-2010, 06:49 PM   #1

I've been spoiled by the FA 43mm Ltd....

This was my first lens upgrade after 18-55mm and 50-200mm.... and boy, is this thing sharp!
From f/2.8 and on... the sharpness and clarity is unbelievable. This is like my wonder lens. It's small, light, yet it delivers! I whip it out when in doubt, and this thing really proves itself.

I've gotten DA 12-24 and Tamron 28-75mm afterwards, but they simply aren't as good as the 43mm. (Of course, I shouldn't be comparing a prime lens to zoom lenses in different focal lengths, but just saying...)

I'm planning to get the DA*50-135, and may be DFA 100mm Macro WR... MAY BE FA 31 Ltd (then I may have to part with the 43mm)

Anyone else in love with this lens?

10-02-2010, 06:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No. I *want* to be, but as always must wait until finances permit. Got some shots to show? Love to see some.
10-02-2010, 07:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by doppio Quote
This was my first lens upgrade after 18-55mm and 50-200mm.... and boy, is this thing sharp!
From f/2.8 and on... the sharpness and clarity is unbelievable. This is like my wonder lens. It's small, light, yet it delivers! I whip it out when in doubt, and this thing really proves itself.

I've gotten DA 12-24 and Tamron 28-75mm afterwards, but they simply aren't as good as the 43mm. (Of course, I shouldn't be comparing a prime lens to zoom lenses in different focal lengths, but just saying...)

I'm planning to get the DA*50-135, and may be DFA 100mm Macro WR... MAY BE FA 31 Ltd (then I may have to part with the 43mm)

Yes, the FA43 is a really fantastic sharp lens. it's so sharp that they made something for the M-mount.

but it can't do 12mm shot, so it's not good as the zoom either.
10-03-2010, 12:36 AM   #4
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
quite a jump, isn't it?

don't be afraid to use it under f2.8 too, it'll prove itself very easily in that area too

there are very few lenses that are as good as FA43ltd...

31+50-135 is a great kit! used to have it but I stupidly sold the DA* (was afraid of SDM failure etc...) Anyway, keep the 43. There will be times when you won't be bothered to lug those two "bricks" (compared to 43 that is) around and then you 43 will come very handy.... truth to be said, 31 & 43 are bit too close indeed...

and definitely count me in on that one....

10-03-2010, 02:16 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I was stupid enough to buy the Body only when I got my first DSLR, I got the K20D and the DA 35 Macro LTD. Boy was I stupid, no lens I have tried lives up to my expectations.
Sure, the DA*50-135 is good, but still miss something.
The DA*55/1.4 is sharp and wonderfull, but It cant realy do macro. But still my nr one lens when it rains.

The Voigtlander 180/4 is wonderfull. Butt not as sharp.

My LBA got destroyed when I got the best lens ever as my first lens...
10-03-2010, 02:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I used to be in love with FA limited lenses in general and FA 43 in particular. I even sold FA 50/1.7 for its sake and I admit it was a mistake. I no longer think that FA limited lenses in general and FA 43 is particular are magical in any sense. They are excellent moderately fast prime lenses of excellent build quality and very special rendering qualities. I don't care all that much for mere sharpness any longer. My favorite lens in past two years has been A 50/1.2 which as of recently I tend to use exclusively at fully open aperture.
10-03-2010, 04:38 AM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As reviews would have it, the FA 43 is loved by many and hated by some - and hence the dichotomy of views about the lens. I've noticed haters speak about the unusual bokeh and softness wide open, which to be honest has been difficult to prove on my copy - it's been sharp and rendering lovely bokeh for all my shots. I haven't yet ventured out into the wild with the lens, but in my home captures, it's been exceeding my expectations and I'm glad to have replaced my FA 50/1.4 with it:

10-03-2010, 05:02 AM   #8
Inactive Account

I recently sold my 43, but only because I wasn't using it enough... I wanted someone else to enjoy it. If you really want to see it shine...take some pics of glass or metal - that's where this lens really stand out.

77 is my fav lens...its going to be hard to see it go.
10-03-2010, 01:03 PM   #9
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A few more examples of this lens's sharpness on the K20D:

And a 100% crop - one pass of light lens blur sharpening:

100% crop - no sharpening:
10-03-2010, 01:10 PM   #10
TKH
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
A few more examples of this lens's sharpness on the K20D:
I have no childs, but the view on pic number one must make a father "helpless"...
What ever she want, you will give to her.

Congrats to lens and (first) daughter,
Rainer
10-03-2010, 01:24 PM   #11
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TKH Quote
I have no childs, but the view on pic number one must make a father "helpless"...
What ever she want, you will give to her.

Congrats to lens and (first) daughter,
Rainer

I'm sure every dad feels the same way.
But that doesn't mean we should spoil them.
It should be even harder for the man who wants to take the first daughter away from the parents.
10-03-2010, 01:27 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
As reviews would have it, the FA 43 is loved by many and hated by some - and hence the dichotomy of views about the lens. I've noticed haters speak about the unusual bokeh and softness wide open, which to be honest has been difficult to prove on my copy - it's been sharp and rendering lovely bokeh for all my shots. I haven't yet ventured out into the wild with the lens, but in my home captures, it's been exceeding my expectations and I'm glad to have replaced my FA 50/1.4 with it:
from what it appears, the FA43 is more of a midrange FA31. the FA43 honestly is very tempting for it's price. it does beat the FA31 at stop down or middle apertures and feel as is by looking at the samples coming from both lenses. it's kinda true that the bokeh might not be as consistently smooth everytime like the FA31, but atleast close enough or smooth enough to get some good portraits. personally, the bokeh is better compared to the FA35, although the increased focal length made people to think twice.

basically, the focal length difference between the FA31 and FA43 is one of the dealbreakers going against the FA43. the FA31 on the otherhand, is it's price. so it's a matter of choosing one's poison.
10-03-2010, 06:24 PM   #13
Veteran Member

The 100mm WR will just be as sharp.

trust me
10-03-2010, 08:48 PM   #14
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
from what it appears, the FA43 is more of a midrange FA31. the FA43 honestly is very tempting for it's price. it does beat the FA31 at stop down or middle apertures and feel as is by looking at the samples coming from both lenses. it's kinda true that the bokeh might not be as consistently smooth everytime like the FA31, but atleast close enough or smooth enough to get some good portraits. personally, the bokeh is better compared to the FA35, although the increased focal length made people to think twice.

basically, the focal length difference between the FA31 and FA43 is one of the dealbreakers going against the FA43. the FA31 on the otherhand, is it's price. so it's a matter of choosing one's poison.
There would be a few of us around who have both, and would prefer to have both for the ability to capture closer-up portraits without the typical wide-angle distortions that can come out in a 31mm shot. Then there's the need at times to get a more full-body or 3/4 portrait, where the 31 is well-suited and the 43 is just too long. They're both so good, you could have either or both and be blissfully happy.

QuoteOriginally posted by Eagle_Friends Quote

trust me
I'd have no doubt of this - my old FA 100/2.8 macro is amazingly sharp and can be used effectively as a portrait lens too. But there's more to it than that - I do prefer the FA ltd colour and contrast rendition, even if slightly more, than that of the FA 100.
10-03-2010, 09:07 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eagle_Friends Quote

trust me
I can agree that this is true.