Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2010, 12:46 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Wide angle zoom recommendations for a K1000?

Hi all,
Hope this is in the right place... I've had a quick look at the reviews... Unfortunately with a "vintage" camera you can't always find a lens you'd particularly like, & have to go with what you can get on eBay or some retailer's 'used' dept...
I'm looking for a wide-angle zoom for my K1000, 35mm or less. I've looked at a few on eBay but of course you can't always be sure what you're getting...
Someone suggested Vivitars used to be good, but then were crummy, but that "Series 1" lenses were good. Is anything "Series 1" likely to be decent quality?
I also saw one in a zoom range I might like; the brand was "Phoenix" which I'd never heard of.
Just wondered if anyone would care to recommend a good small light little wide zoom I might hunt for somewhere.
Thanks for any suggestions!

12-28-2010, 12:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Alliecat Quote
Hi all,
Hope this is in the right place... I've had a quick look at the reviews... Unfortunately with a "vintage" camera you can't always find a lens you'd particularly like, & have to go with what you can get on eBay or some retailer's 'used' dept...
I'm looking for a wide-angle zoom for my K1000, 35mm or less. I've looked at a few on eBay but of course you can't always be sure what you're getting...
Someone suggested Vivitars used to be good, but then were crummy, but that "Series 1" lenses were good. Is anything "Series 1" likely to be decent quality?
I also saw one in a zoom range I might like; the brand was "Phoenix" which I'd never heard of.
Just wondered if anyone would care to recommend a good small light little wide zoom I might hunt for somewhere.
Thanks for any suggestions!
Hows this?
Pentax Manual Focus 21-35 F3.5-4.2 SIGMA A (77) WITH CAPS 35MM SLR MANUAL FOCUS ZOOM SUPER WIDE ANGLE LENS - KEH.com
12-28-2010, 12:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmmm... I had never heard of this site, so I will have a look. Thanks.
Only issue is tax/duty/shipping to Canada. But I will definitely take a longer look at the site.
12-28-2010, 02:07 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alliecat Quote
Hmmm... I had never heard of this site, so I will have a look. Thanks.
Only issue is tax/duty/shipping to Canada. But I will definitely take a longer look at the site.
KEH (www.keh.com) is a highly reputed second hand photographic equiment store. It is renown for excellent quality gears; each item is checked and Keh tends to be conservative on the quality of each individual item. Many Pentaxians used them and would recommend them. I used them, was very happy and will use them again anytime.

Shipping must be added to the price, but import duty would depend from the country. In Australia, we do not pay import duty/taxes for prices below A$1,000.

12-28-2010, 03:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The original Vivitar Series 1 lenses from the '70s and early '80s generally have a good reputation; the later lenses are inconsistent with some designs being well respected and others having the Series 1 name slapped on as a marketing device.

For really wide angle use this lens has a decent reputation: Vivitar Series 1 19-35mm f3.5-45 Lens Reviews - Pentax Third-Party Lens Review Database

Phoenix seems to rebadge lenses made by other manufacturers, so research the particular lens you are interested in.

Make sure that whatever you buy has an aperture ring or it won't be very useful on your K1000. Also, be wary of Pentax lenses in the range around 28-80mm. Some of them are compact and perform well but a couple of the common kit lenses really aren't worth owning.

The Pentax A 35-105mm has a very good reputation but might be a bit large: SMC Pentax-A 35-105mm F3.5 Lens Reviews - Pentax Lens Reviews & Pentax Lens Database

The Pentax FA 28-70mm f/4 is small, light and relatively inexpensive. Watch out for rear element separation if you are inspecting one in person: SMC Pentax-FA 28-70mm F4 AL Lens Reviews - Pentax Lens Reviews & Pentax Lens Database

One of the Pentax A series 35-70mm lenses would also be light and compact.

There are too many choices to list them all. If you find something interesting that isn't listed in the database, ask in the lens forum or beginners forum.
12-28-2010, 04:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I bought a Vivitar Series 1. 24-48mm f3.8 a few weeks ago and it's barely been off my K10 since then.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/dmoon911-albums-vivitar-series-1-...-48mm-f3-8.jpg

It's a 'substantial' lens, it's got a 77mm filter ring and it's an all metal lens so it's fairly heavy, it's about 80mm long from the body to the front.
But it's a great lens and is easy enough to hand hold.

The constant 3.8 is nice, it's smooth and well made lens. The optics are sharp. Although purple and blue fringing can be easily provoked, so I tend to use the Cokin P Series hood which helps a lot.

The only issue I have with it is the filter ring turns when focusing, but the P Series filter holder rotates easily so that isn't a big problem.

I bought mine for £30 ( G.B.P.) in excellent condition with caps and case. I believe that they are not very common, but well worth looking for.

I've got a lot of pictures on my Flickr pages taken with it if you want to see what it can do.
12-28-2010, 04:50 PM   #7
Zav
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What about this: SMC Pentax-FA 20-35mm F4 AL Lens Reviews - Pentax Lens Reviews & Pentax Lens Database

12-29-2010, 10:42 AM   #8

Consider a Tamron Adaptall-2

I can recommend the later Tamron Adaptall-2 #59A, 28-70mm F/3.5-4.5. This lens is sharp, light and compact. The earlier version, #44A, is also reputed to be a good performer. There is also the Tamron SP Adaptall-2, 28-80, F/3.5-4.2 which is said to be a very good lens. The non-SP lenses are usually available for very little money.
12-30-2010, 11:11 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
The Pentax A 35-105mm has a very good reputation but might be a bit large: SMC Pentax-A 35-105mm F3.5 Lens Reviews - Pentax Lens Reviews & Pentax Lens Database
Oh, my favourite That's my main lens, which I use for probably 3/4 of my pictures.
My current lenses cover 35-300 which is quite adequate most of the time; there have just been a few times recently when I thought I'd like something a little wider.
Thanks to everyone for recommendations. I will have some ideas of what to look for. What a pity you can't just order them from the camera store anymore Even the "big" online retailers I looked at in Canada don't seem to have anything much to do with film anymore.
01-30-2011, 12:19 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hello... picking up this thread again...
I spotted a couple of Pentax SMCP wide zooms I would have liked, but they are really out of my budget. I am wondering about non-Pentax but unsure how they compare in quality. I did search the forums & read discussions about Pentax/Hoya/Tokina etc.
I sell framed prints, so I want something that will make good quality pix, but I don't see it as a lens range I would use a lot, so I don't really want to spend $300+. Not right now, anyway. I could always trade up sometime.
I also want something small & light to go in an already pretty full bag; not a 'monster lens'.
I have seen listings for a Sigma 17-37 f2.8-4 DG EX, and a Tokina 19-35 F3.5-4.5.
I see someone commented that the Tokina was a decent lens for the price.
Which do people think is the better of these 2?
(I'm assuming these things have K mounts; it doesn't say they don't??)
(Of course there are a number of Pentaxes listed here & there in this range, but they're all either $300+ or DA's )

Last edited by Alliecat; 01-30-2011 at 12:27 AM.