Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2011, 06:19 PM   #1

Mack Extended Lens Warranties???

So if I buy a new DA* 16-50 from Adorama for only $34 I can get a 7 year Mack warranty with it. Also I just got a DA* 60-250 second-hand and there is a Mack warranty for $39 for 2 years for used lenses.

So..how are Mack warranties? Who fixes the lenses? If I were to buy either warranty and then have an SDM failure would it be replaced no problem at no expense to me? Any experience with this anyone? For only $34 it seems like a pretty good deal if I am worry free about an SDM problem down the line for a whole 7 years....

Thank you for any insight -LE

02-01-2011, 07:17 PM   #2
Site Supporter

I have Mack warranties as well as the manufacturer warranties for two tamron lenses. I believe it is just a network of 3rd party repair shops not sure exactly. Extra coverage is always good!

My credit card doubles the warranty on whatever I buy as well!
02-01-2011, 07:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've never had to use any of the warranties I've purchased (no big surprise, but it's been only a few). But I did purchase one for my 16-50 as well as the price was good. You may want to check Amazon as I got mine for less than $20. They do not have to be purchased at the same time. I think you can buy the warranty within 30 days of buying the lens and must register within 45 days of buying the lens.
02-01-2011, 07:37 PM   #4

Original Poster
Well the 60-250 I got used so no warranty unless I get the 2 year used lens warranty.

I could do the same for a 16-50 or get a brand new one with a 7 year warranty or steer away from the whole thing if Mack isn't good enough to make the sdm gamble that it sounds like I would be getting into worth it.

02-01-2011, 08:07 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Here is a review of Mack warranties:
Mack Camera & Video Service / The Mack Camera Store - mackcam.com - Reviews, Ratings and Prices at ResellerRatings

In short:
# Mixed opinions
# Most people seem to find that the turnaround times are not good.
# Seems that if you buy an x-year warranty, the term starts at the time of purchase and not after the manufacturer warranty ends.
# Seems that you are likely to get better service when something is completely non-working than if you were to send it in for something not upto standard. That is, I think if the sdm fails completely, you may get the thing repaired. But if you try to send it in saying the lens is front focusing etc you may not get it resolved.
# Seems like if there is any reason for the company to suspect that a problem was due to accidental handling etc they are not likely to repair it.
# Seems like you have to pay for postage both ways.

I did purchase a Mack warranty for my 50-135 lens; I had done an internet search on them and it was hard to know what to make of them. Some people were very happy and some were not. However, the darn warranty was so cheap that I bought it. I sure hope I never have to use it though.

P.S: I have pondered the question of whether to get the 16-50 with the additional warranty myself. But I still have not had the courage to have 2 sdm lenses in my bag. Yet. Seriously considering the new sigma 17-50 hsm. I have rented the 16-50 more than once and really liked it hence the dilemna...
02-01-2011, 08:31 PM   #6
Site Supporter

It kind of makes sense that the Mack warranty would mostly be for repairing damage/defect or broken equipment. Fixing delicate stuff like FF/BF should likely be left up to the manufacturer I'd say
02-01-2011, 08:51 PM   #7

Original Poster
If an SDM dies though and they take it apart, should they be trusted to properly put it back together so that the weather seals are not compromised?

02-02-2011, 04:56 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Loren E Quote
If an SDM dies though and they take it apart, should they be trusted to properly put it back together so that the weather seals are not compromised?
Not sure whether anyone would be able to answer that question. The chances are that this company likely has a bunch of repair shops it contracts with. The quality may vary widely...You are taking a chance. If you tried to send it to Pentax outside of warranty it is pretty expensive though.

Hopefully there is someone on this forum that got a Mack warranty work done on an sdm failure and will post...
02-04-2011, 11:47 AM   #9

I sent my da*300f4 to Mack under their warranty.
They received the lens on 01/20/11 at noon, by 5 pm they sent an e-mail stating they sent it to pentax for repair.
It is comforting to know it goes to the manufacturer for repair of Sdm lenses.
Joe
02-04-2011, 12:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Stargeezer ... Thats good to know! I just purchased a DA*16-50 which comes with the standard Pentax Canada 2yr warranty + a 7yr Mack warranty.

There is no way I would have gone for that lens without long warranties behind it.

Pat
02-04-2011, 12:22 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stargeezer Quote
sent my da*300f4 to Mack under their warranty. They received the lens on 01/20/11 at noon, by 5 pm they sent an e-mail stating they sent it to pentax for repair. It is comforting to know it goes to the manufacturer for repair of Sdm lenses.
Hmm...Does this mean I have no excuse to not buy a 16-50 to complement my 50-135 now? Well, I just bought a tamron 28-75 b.c of not wanting to have 2 sdm lenses. But if if I had known that Mack sent their lenses to pentax service center for repair, I might have bit the bullet, especially with a 7 year warranty. Oh,well.

ve2vfd: Regarding I just purchased a DA*16-50 which comes with the standard Pentax Canada 2yr warranty + a 7yr Mack warranty.
My understanding is that the Mack warranty starts from the day of purchase, not after the manufacturer warranty expires. So you really only have extra 5 years.
02-04-2011, 01:54 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Psychdoc ... Indeed, it's 2yrs Pentax + 5yrs Mack. I am guessing that a total of 7 years should be more than adequate, heck for all we know at the speed at which camera tech is moving all our Pentax toys may be obsolete in 4-5 years anyways.

Pat

Last edited by ve2vfd; 02-04-2011 at 03:06 PM. Reason: the typo monster hit again!
02-04-2011, 02:43 PM   #13

Original Poster
Man this makes it tough to resist the 16-50, I just don't want it out of commission when I need it most on a trip. Interesting there was a DA* 300 failure.....i just purchased a 60-250 used and am considering the used lens warranty for 2 years from Mack....wonder how you verify there aren't existing problems already though or else it seems like it would be an easy way out for out of warranty SDMs....
02-04-2011, 03:22 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Loren E Quote
Man this makes it tough to resist the 16-50, I just don't want it out of commission when I need it most on a trip. Interesting there was a DA* 300 failure.....i just purchased a 60-250 used and am considering the used lens warranty for 2 years from Mack....wonder how you verify there aren't existing problems already though or else it seems like it would be an easy way out for out of warranty SDMs....

You need to have at least an existing 90 day warranty to get an extended Mack Warranty
Joe
02-22-2011, 11:29 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Stargeezer Quote
I sent my da*300f4 to Mack under their warranty.
They received the lens on 01/20/11 at noon, by 5 pm they sent an e-mail stating they sent it to pentax for repair.
It is comforting to know it goes to the manufacturer for repair of Sdm lenses.
Joe
Setting things straight.

Well, apparently this is not true!!
I found out today after calling Pentax they did not send it to them.
Plus Macks website no longer had my Information on their website, so I was a little nervous

I called Mack.
It turns out they sent it to an authorized repair center.
Huh? Even though Mack said in their email and on their website they sent it to the manufacturer and it was at Pentax.

To top it off Macks customer service was mad at me for calling Pentax first.

I got a Chuckle out of that and the woman called me on it and said what do you find humorous??
I guess I insulted her.

Anyway I will have a cup of tea, and wait another week or so.

I have no problem with it going to an authorized repair center. Although it seems a little odd the way it was worded.

I guess sent to the manufacturer and Pentax listed under location couuuuld mean they sent it to an authorized repair center.

Anyway my bad!! I thought my original post to be true.
Sorry, Joe

I will start a thread when the repair is complete.