Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2011, 06:49 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DA21 vs FA*24 - anybody directly compared?!?

Hi all,
just quick question.
Has anybody compared side by side DA21 and FA*24?
I know about photozone tests but I'm more after first hand experience from users..

to explain the question:
I have FA*24 and really like it, maybe even love it. But....
a) the hood is rather bothersome (I have been spoiled by FA ltds and their hoods)
b) it feels somewhat large on K-7 (no grip)
c) it's the largest lens I have and for carrying around it's not so convenient

So I'm tempted by the DA21.
Working theory: 31ltd could take over most of the duties of 24 while 21 would become my wide angle...and because of it's size it would really rarely stay at home...

any comments appreciated

03-02-2011, 06:59 AM   #2
Site Supporter

I too want (in theory) the 21 Ltd. (or 15 ltd) but whenever I read reviews about either, it seems so many compromises were made to fit them into a pancake package that the lens ends up only being ok. Now im sure people here will roast me for this but aside from a beautiful lens with nice colours its not fast and the IQ is supposedly only pretty good. For the money I dunno, ive always hoped to maybe pick up a lucky steal on a used copy

That said, ive never used the lens so this is only hearsay based on reviews and comments. I would love to see a comparison with the FA*24. How much does that 24 go for? Maybe you can post a couple pics from yours maybe one showing sharpness and one showing bokeh? and then maybe someone with the 21 can post a couple pics. Likely someone out there has both...
03-02-2011, 07:07 AM   #3
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just have a look at my Single in November album. And if you search my threads I wrote a review with pics called: about FA*24, and there is a mini shootout with 31ltd too...

Thanks for opinion...
03-02-2011, 07:41 AM   #4
Site Supporter

That FA*24 looks nice to me in your pics. For some reason I find that I actually like a bit of vignetting, it adds a nice mood to some shots.

03-02-2011, 07:47 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hey Axl, I asked the same question a while back (ended up buying the 15, instead). You should take my advice with many grains, but anyways:

I think if you are going to really scrutinize IQ between them, then the FA* will blow the DA out of the water. However the size difference between the two is pretty huge. Do you find much use for a 24mm lens wide open? I would assume the 31 is much much better for that sort of thing.

The one reason I am so impressed with the DA 15 is due to it's size... compactness matters.
03-02-2011, 08:04 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
24mm is a field of view that I can appreciate, but the price of a \used FA*24 keeps it at arm's length for me.
03-02-2011, 09:48 AM   #7
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the opinions...
Well, FOV of 24 mm on APSC is great and suits me a lot, I prefer it to 31 by mile in this respect. Performance wide open is fine by my standards. The colours are superb and contrast is great...
But the size is something that matters a bit...

03-02-2011, 11:11 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
Now im sure people here will roast me for this but aside from a beautiful lens with nice colours its not fast and the IQ is supposedly only pretty good.
Not fast : granted. Small package : granted. Only pretty good : not granted. The DA21 is the lens that gives me the richest tones, the smoothest textures, and the most even results across the frame. It's very sharp, though not my sharpest (the FA50 macro is) but IQ is not only linked to sharpness.

Even non-initiates can spot the shots I take with that lens . I often get comments like "wow, that's a great picture!" when the composition is only average, because the colours are so good.

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
FOV of 24 mm on APSC is great and suits me a lot, I prefer it to 31 by mile in this respect.
You will not find dramatic differences between the 21, 24 and 31. If you find the FOV not too your liking and the bulkiness to cumbersome, you have part of your answer. Those three lenses are different but IQ-wise, they will be near enough. Decide by considering FOV, size, handling, and your own shoting style.
03-02-2011, 11:18 AM   #9
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
for bdery,

for me the difference in FOV between 24 and 31 is rather significant. As I said, I prefer 24 to 31 8 times out of 10....
I wouldn't mind seeing some shots side by side from 21 and 24 just to see the difference...
03-02-2011, 11:29 AM   #10
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
21 would become my wide angle...and because of it's size it would really rarely stay at home...
Well your best lens is the one with you in your bag and never the one staying at home.

I have only the 21mm....

but I'm willing to trade it for your 31mm
03-02-2011, 12:06 PM   #11
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
haha

21 for 31.... no offence but no way
21 for 24... maybe

nice shot btw
03-02-2011, 12:28 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Those limiteds do have nice saturated colours!
03-02-2011, 12:53 PM   #13
Veteran Member

AXL if you don't mind the slower aperture, keep in mind that the DA 21 is bloody sharp wide open. I'd be suprised if the FA* was that sharp at f2, i.e., the effective difference in speed might be smaller (and your 31 is going to have your low-dof covered).

It would not be very hard to crop appropriate pictures to the FOV of the 24.

Great hockey shot.
03-02-2011, 02:41 PM   #14
Veteran Member

hi Peter, why not wait for the X100?
03-02-2011, 03:03 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Among the original DA Limited pancakes, the DA 21mm was the lens that stood out for me because there was no other widely available alternative prime lens other than the harder to find and more expensive FA 20mm. The DA 21mm is the lens that is always in the bag because it is so compact and is closest to the 28mm wide angle FOV that I am familiar with in 35mm film context. On digital, one might even say the DA 21mm is the FA 31mm on film, FOV speaking.

A lens that I take everywhere is far more likely to get used, so for me the larger size of the FA* 24mm is a toss up. The small size does make a difference when shooting people up close as I find they are less conscious of it. I've been happy with my DA 21mm images but the lens is not without its flaws, with noticeable barrel distortion that can show up with some subjects. I like it enough to consider the silver version that's just been announced.

DA 21mm Limited appreciation thread: the versatile pancake

Last edited by creampuff; 03-02-2011 at 03:09 PM.