Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2007, 02:25 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Limited lens: 70 vs 77

Hi All:

Excuse me if this has been posted before, but I went back 8 pages and did not see anything. I will probably get my first limited lens in January (using bonus money). It will be one of these two. With the new rebates, the 77 is only about $150.00 more then the DA 70. I can probably swing either. I have looked at a bunch of pictures on pbase, and really like both. I like the small size and faster AF of the 70 (and think that having all three DA limiteds plus my 50 would be a great travel kit) but there is something about the 77. What do you think?

10-23-2007, 02:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The reviews for those lenses was in the Pentax lens sections.

the DA 70mm

the FA 77mm
10-23-2007, 02:58 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Sure, I've read those, also the review in PhotoZone. Still going round & round trying to decide...
10-23-2007, 02:59 PM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tough choice. For me it came down to some seperation (closer to the 85mm length for portraits) from the FA50 and the faster speed of the 77mm. Also I wanted a slightly larger lens to be able to manually focus the lens easier. An FA lens has the advantage of the sweetspot in the center as it's made for full frame and won't vignette on the smaller sensor. But the DA has the quick shift and reportedly almost no vignetting even wide open.

You can't go wrong with either lens and really it's going to come down to what you want and the $$. Both are excellent with few flaws.

10-23-2007, 04:07 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Here is answer to similar question :

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/11021-full-frame-i...tml#post104191

Hope you have fun with whatever you choose
10-23-2007, 06:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I went through the same thing, and finally decided I'm going to pick up the FA 77 because it is a great focal length on film, and I hate having lenses I can't use on a film body. I also just love the feel and build of the FA limiteds, more so than the DA limiteds.
10-23-2007, 07:26 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Da70

I had a FA77 and replaced it with a DA70. The FA77 is obviously an older design and its faults were fixed with the DA70. 77mm had me backing up into furniture when taking portraits indoors. The FA77 needs a lens hood which is integrated into the DA70. The FA77 doesn't have QSF. The DA70 fits better in my 'fanny pack' and is a better complement to the other pancakes. I looked at all my 'keepers' and rarely used the speed. Don't buy an old design if a newer one is available for less money... My $0.02

10-23-2007, 07:58 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I chose the 70mm as:
- Sharper from f2.4 - f4 esp the corners/edges of the frame
- size/weight
- quicker AF speed
- quickshift
- less PF in extreme situations

But you can't go wrong with either, the 77 has advantages too, just depends on your needs.

77mm has
- really cool metal build
- brighter (f1.8)
- slightly better bokeh in some situations
- better MF feel

EDIT: Maybe just give a rating for each advantage/disadvantage you can think of for each LOL.. it is a tough choice..

Last edited by joele; 10-24-2007 at 02:16 AM.
10-24-2007, 01:32 AM   #9
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mr. The Guy Quote
I had a FA77 and replaced it with a DA70. The FA77 is obviously an older design and its faults were fixed with the DA70. 77mm had me backing up into furniture when taking portraits indoors. The FA77 needs a lens hood which is integrated into the DA70. The FA77 doesn't have QSF. The DA70 fits better in my 'fanny pack' and is a better complement to the other pancakes. I looked at all my 'keepers' and rarely used the speed. Don't buy an old design if a newer one is available for less money... My $0.02
Although I already added my thoughts to this debate earlier this is something of an odd discussion. It's like comparing a Dodge and a Chrysler. There are differences but also close similarities. IQ is excellent in both. As for older vs new the A* and FA* are proof positive that many older designs are still superior to anything available today although in this case there's not much difference in IQ. Granted Quick Shift is a nice feature. But both lenses have built in lens hoods which is also important in many outdoor situations. As indoor portrait lenses they are both a little on the long side unless your going for tight head shots in the typical living room. No doubt that when traveling and space is a premium consideration, the pancake is a nice feature. But in the average camera bag both are much smaller than any zoom. If your out shooting a landscape shot then the speed difference is not an issue. But if you're in a church or at a concert and can't use a flash then there is a difference.

You will not go wrong with either so really it's a choice of shooting needs, $$ and the subtle differences.