Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2011, 09:04 AM   #1
Forum Member

Replacement Cap for the 77mm LTD

Hi, I purchased a 77ltd with a missing cap. Where can I get the original replacement caps? I tried, at a camera shop, to put a standard 49mm cap on and the cap seems to touch the front of the len. Are there any recommendation on a standard cap that I can fit on the 77mm? Right now I have a filter on it to protect the lens.

Thanks.

04-28-2011, 09:45 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
BH, Adorama and Pentax Imaging will have replacement caps but they are a bit pricey. However BH seems to have them for $24.95 at present.

Pentax 49mm Black Metal Lens Cap for FA-43mm & 31703 B&H
04-28-2011, 10:45 AM   #3
Forum Member

So 49mm caps won't work if you have a filter attached? I'm currently looking for something to use, I'd rather not have to worry about losing the expensive slip on.
04-28-2011, 12:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by charleychen Quote
I tried, at a camera shop, to put a standard 49mm cap on and the cap seems to touch the front of the len.
Very interesting. Besides for ultra wide angle and fish eye lenses, I never thought that this would be a problem (I don't have a 77mm Ltd lens).

I've been using this lens cap for my DA15. It does not touch the front element of the lens. I attach two narrow strips of self-adhesive sandpaper to the center pinch to grasp the cap easier.

Last edited by SOldBear; 05-04-2011 at 09:50 AM.
04-28-2011, 06:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
BH, Adorama and Pentax Imaging will have replacement caps but they are a bit pricey. However BH seems to have them for $24.95 at present.

Pentax 49mm Black Metal Lens Cap for FA-43mm & 31703 B&H
Just a word of caution if you're going to purchase this cap from B&H.
Make sure you call them first and verify if it's black or silver.
Last time I was trying to look for the same cap for my 77Ltd and bought this from B&H.
Back then the picture showed black color on their website and I even got confirmation that it's black.
When it arrived, it's actually silver and I had to return it. Since then they change the photo to silver.

I couldn't find it anywhere here in US. Luckily a forum member here is from Japan and was going back home at that time. He bought me the replacement cap direct from Japan.
04-28-2011, 06:39 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
However, if a clip on cap touches the front element, then take the glass out of a cheap UV filter, and use the ring as a spacer to clip the cap onto.
Thanks for the suggestion. I think I'll try that. I'd rather not spend $25 for a cap ;(
04-28-2011, 07:53 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by charleychen Quote
Thanks for the suggestion. I think I'll try that. I'd rather not spend $25 for a cap ;(
Will the old metal Takumar caps work? Because you could get a Takumar 55mm f2 with cap for about that.

04-30-2011, 04:07 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Will the old metal Takumar caps work? Because you could get a Takumar 55mm f2 with cap for about that.
Cool, does the cap fit? I'm not picky as long as I can cover the front lens.
04-30-2011, 06:44 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Another question, what is the size if I want to get another slip on cap? Is it 52mm?
05-04-2011, 07:27 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I use a takumar slip on lens cap, though these only fit of you have a filter mounted on the FA77.
05-04-2011, 08:30 AM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by spicy cho Quote
So 49mm caps won't work if you have a filter attached? I'm currently looking for something to use, I'd rather not have to worry about losing the expensive slip on.
He had asked about original replacement caps which is why I responded with the pentax ones.
05-04-2011, 09:04 AM   #12

24$ is fine but shipping cost to UK is ridicoulus (43$), i bought several lenses from Conus but i never paid more than 20$ for S&H
06-14-2022, 02:09 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Forgive the necro-post, but I just spent far too long seeking a replacement cap for a spare silver 43mm hood I picked up for pennies.
The proper caps sell new now for much more than they did when this thread originated. Now anywhere from $35 to $50 USD!

The 52mm over-the-barrel style Pentax pinch-cap will work just fine on the FA43mm (with or without filter since that hood is not retractable), but similarly to the Takumar push-cap style (as Digitalis mentioned above) it will only work on the 77mm if you have a threaded filter installed.

Just thought I'd include this here in case anyone (like myself) comes wandering by another 11 years later. lol
The cap style is the one here shown. (And again, only 52mm fits properly).
Attached Images