Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2011, 02:21 PM   #1

Packing up...

Hello everyone, this is my second post in Pentax community as I'm whilling to buy a K-5 and I'm also very new to the DSLR world, so please, develop your explanations.

I've been researching for few days about which lens should I buy as soon as I get my camera, however, I'm having some issues regarding ''priorities" and maybe you can give me a hand or two. :P

First of all, I'm a traveler. I travel a lot during the year and I wherever I went my compact went with me, but now that DSLRs are more "accessible" I feel like I can go for a greater image quality product, as I want to save those photos on my PC for as long as I live in order to print some of them and keep the rest to remember the good times.

With that being said, I can't carry much weight around, but I do also want to have all the lens that I need in order to take the proper shots. As far as my concearns go, I found Primes lenses unecessary (obviously due to the lack of zoom and variety), because most of the times I'm traveling with a group and we explore many different places, so I don't have time to swap lenses that much (and it can get my lenses dirt :x). I do want to take high IQ photos, but I've noticed that Zoom lenses quality grew alot these years and I'm not worried on spending some extra bucket in order to gain more versatility without losing much quality.

So the best lens that I got on my list are all 9.0+ rated on this forums, because since I'm going to spend a good ammount of money I would like to be sure that ''they have it all'', so here they are:

A) Pentax-DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 Fish-Eye ED [IF]

B) Pentax-DA 12-24mm F4 ED AL [IF]
C) Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM
D) Pentax-DA* 60-250mm F4 ED [IF] SDM

So my question is, did I need it all? do I need more?

My ''to buy'' order list looks like this atm: B > A > D > C

From what I could gather on the forums is that I could use those lenses for:

B) Looked great enough to be chosen as the first one to buy, due to it's versatility and I can feel it's probably going to be my most used lens.

A) As a traveler, I get inside old buildings, museums, churchs and all that stuff, which are either not so well illuminated or too big to fit in a single photo, so I consider Fish Eye a must, as well as some wide photos at the top of a mountain.

D) The most used feature on my compact is it's 8x zoom and I do love to be able to photograph things that are far away, like a hidden store, an animal, far away buildings etc. So this lens will HAVE to be somewhere in my bag during my trips for when the time comes.

And here's where I don't know what to do, I know that C is an awesome lens, but I do not know ''when'' to use it, or even IF I'm going to use it at all.

I can reach up to 12mm of view angle with A at 17mm and 60mm with D (which won't be much different from 50mm).

So to me, it looks like B vs C, I don't know if I will need that much of a wide angle from B when I get Fish-Eye, so in case I don't need it, C would become my top priority lens and I would also save money, weight and space on my bag. =D

I also know that there are many other lenses ranging from 18-250mm that I could count with, but since I haven't seen ANY with a 9.0+ score I believe I would be better off saving my money without commiting a mistake.

Thanks in advance for your time.

UPDATES:

I would also like to know if there are any other good brands which sell lenses for the K-5 body not already listed on this website Lenses section.

However if I would replace B and C I would look for a good lens which would look like 10~14 - 40~60mm.

Possible:

B) Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM
C) Pentax-DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL [IF] SDM
D) Pentax-DA* 60-250mm F4 ED [IF] SDM / Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED / Pentax-DA 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 ED AL [IF] (I'm still figuring if will need a fast focus, weather sealed pricy or a cheapper telephoto, but this is not my issue atm)

I'm still trying to carry only 3 lenses, but if that doesn't happen I wont mind, I just want to make sure each one will be useful instead of living forever in my bag. But both groups seems to be pretty solid.

(Taking some time to remake my list, too many interesting suggestions in a short period... )

Alright, after many days of researches, PMs and reviews I'm currently stuck within the following alternatives:

Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM
Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F2.8 DI II XR LD ASPHERICAL [IF]
Sigma 100-300mm F4 EX DG APO (AF Lens)

I just love this set so much that I'm questioning myself how much lacking a 60~90mm range lens will affect my photos (some users suggested me to crop it, if I ever need to fill that gap, which I find a good idea since 17-50 is an excellent lens). I also have no doubt about the 100-300 power including razor sharp photos with a 1.4x TC. The ''3 lens kit'' provides me the best IQ I can have with a total of 2.43Kgs, without having to swap lenses that often, setting the 17-50 as my ''default'' lens. This is also the cheapest kit.

Pentax-DA 12-24mm F4 ED AL [IF]
Tamron Macro SP AF 28-75mm F2.8 DI XR LD

All great lenses in here as well. Almost full angle coverage. A bit of overlapping from 12~16mm range. The cons on this kit is having to swap oftenly between 12-24 and 28-75, it also weights 2.6Kgs, being the most expensive.

Pentax-DA* 60-250mm F4 ED [IF] SDM

Full angle coverage. I'm still debating in the following link how much would a 1.4x and 2x TC affect the DA* IQ compared to the 100-300. This kit weights 2.12Kgs, being the lightest, with an intermediary cost.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/143312-da*-60-...ml#post1496451

Please do note that I still love Fish-Eye, but I'm not including it anymore due to it's obvious non-rectilinear shapes.

Thanks again in advance for your thoughts! =D

Alright, so after much discussing on the post above, I've chosen the following gear:

Conclusions:

- DA* 60-250 + 1.7x TC would be inferior, when compared to the 100-300 + 1.4x TC.

- Whenever I need to take a photo bewteen the 50~100 range I'll just crop the 17-50, since it has an excellent IQ.

I would also like to thank everyone that helped me so far =D

Take care.

Last edited by Thales454; 05-09-2011 at 04:23 PM.
05-03-2011, 02:28 PM   #2

I can only speak from what I do. If inside a building the B would do very well. When outside I use the tamron 18-200.
05-03-2011, 02:42 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
B) Pentax-DA 12-24mm F4 ED AL [IF]
C) Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM
D) Pentax-DA* 60-250mm F4 ED [IF] SDM
Keep in mind that the 10-17 is always fisheye, though less at 17mm. I like it and would never sell mine. Note that 17mm on the fisheye is like 13mm on the 12-24, so there really is not a lot of overlap with those two.

The 12-24 is a very useful range, and goes very wide but with straight lines, and has excellent image quality.

Sigma 17-50 is an excellent lens, but it has a bit of overlap with the 12-24. I would suggest the Tamron 28-75 instead.

The 60-250 is somewhat large. Unless you want the faster lens, I would suggest the smaller 55-300 that has very good image quality, for a lot fewer dollars.

So, whatever order you want:
10-17
12-24
28-75 this also focuses pretty close.
55-300
05-03-2011, 04:26 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
So, whatever order you want:
10-17
12-24
28-75 this also focuses pretty close.
55-300
I see, well I will take a look at the 55-300 my only fear is that it may become very hard to focus in case I want to someday buy a converter, since I don't use tripods. I was also thinking of a way of carrying only 3 lenses like looking for a good lens that would do the whole 10~14 - 40~60mm so I can cover it all in 1... but sure it's a nice hint

Last edited by Thales454; 05-03-2011 at 07:03 PM.
05-03-2011, 04:26 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
While this may be a complete change in direction. I suggest that you look over the micro 4/3's cameras. Your remarks that you are a traveler got me thinking. My daughter has just gotten a Panasonic Lumix GF2 - it has interchangeable lenses, shoots in raw, and is small and light. I have to say that I'm very impressed in that camera and the technology. Just to put this in perspective she has been a Canon 40D DSLR shooter for the past 3+ years and went to the Lumix because she likes to travel and doesn't what to lug the DSLR everywhere. They don't have weather resistance but they are a lot lighter.

Check it out as another option.
05-03-2011, 04:32 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Check it out as another option.
I like your idea :P But well, yeah if that would be the way I woul look for a weather sealed one, I think I get soaked under the rain at least once every travel, so that would be essential =D
05-03-2011, 04:36 PM   #7

Those are all nice lenses - of that group I do have the 10-17 Fish Eye and like it a lot - but I have never used any of the others. One thing that comes to mind, for travel, is that some of those are pretty big, and together they make a rather large package.

I currently use a K-7 for travel (same size as your K-5), but with a set of 4 DA Limited primes, in 15, 21, 40 and 70. Together they are probably the same size and weight as that 17-50/2.8. More importantly though, when any one of them is on the camera it makes for a rather small, unobtrusive package that no one even notices, even if you hang it squarely around your neck in plain sight. It is a whole different style of shooting though, using primes vs zooms, and might not be something you are interested in. But, something to think about.

05-03-2011, 04:40 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would look at a sigma 8-16mm for the wide end, probably in place of the 12-24.

I would consider the DA* 16-50 in place of the Sigma on your list.

My only question on your list would be the 10-17mm fish. Make sure you love the fisheye look before you buy it.

The 60-250 is a solid choice.

I think based on what you say you're shooting, that you're really going to want an FA 31mm ltd eventually, even if you dont know it yet.
05-03-2011, 04:46 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Frank B Quote
It is a whole different style of shooting though, using primes vs zooms, and might not be something you are interested in. But, something to think about.
You have a nice point there and I'm absolutly clueless about how to reach my ''range ideals'' combining lenses, I will have to research a bit more about that, but wouldn't it also become way more expensive since they are all high quality lenses?

QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
I would look at a sigma 8-16mm for the wide end, probably in place of the 12-24.

I would consider the DA* 16-50 in place of the Sigma on your list.

My only question on your list would be the 10-17mm fish. Make sure you love the fisheye look before you buy it.

The 60-250 is a solid choice.

I think based on what you say you're shooting, that you're really going to want an FA 31mm ltd eventually, even if you dont know it yet.
Yes sir, I do LOVE the Fish =DDD

I've read that K-5 doesnt recognize under 10mm and gets error messages popping on the screen, that was the main reason I discarded that one and also because they say 12-24 image quality is superior and has no CA. For that reason I had Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM on my list but I thought that would be redundant with the fish-eye...

But yeah, I dont know FA 31mm yet, I haven't looked for FAs since they were made for Full Frame sensors o.o

Last edited by Thales454; 05-03-2011 at 06:25 PM.
05-03-2011, 06:52 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Thales454 Quote
in case I want to someday buy a converter
When someday comes, sell the 55-300.

For travel, I would choose good zooms over primes for the flexibility. At least take the 12-24.
05-03-2011, 08:14 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've read that K-5 doesnt recognize under 10mm and gets error messages popping on the screen,
That's not the case now. I believe sigma updated the firmware. My 8-16 reports 10mm at less than 10mm, but it still works great, no error messages, and that extra 4mm may not sound like a lot, but it's quite stunning when you use it.

But yeah, I dont know FA 31mm yet, I haven't looked for FAs since they were made for Full Frame sensors o.o
You need to read more reviews of this lens then
05-03-2011, 08:29 PM   #12

Original Poster
That's not the case now. I believe sigma updated the firmware. My 8-16 reports 10mm at less than 10mm, but it still works great, no error messages, and that extra 4mm may not sound like a lot, but it's quite stunning when you use it.

You need to read more reviews of this lens then
Woa that's a badass angle of view <o> and it's very good to know about the 8-16! I will take a time to rewrite it on my spreadsheet and redo my list =DD
05-03-2011, 11:45 PM   #13
wjt
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you are going to buy a WR body it makes sense to get a WR lens. I have some of the lenses on your list, but if you are keen on traveling and getting wet I'd stick with the DA*16-50 and the DA*60-250. The 16-50 has some harsh reviews bit at the end of the day it's weather sealed and not a horrible lens. If total WR isn't an issue and funds are plentiful, get a WR tele zoom and a FA31 or FA43 and a DA15.
05-04-2011, 03:31 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I would swap out the 10-17 with the sigma 8-16.
8-16 and 12-24 are acually different lenses. They do have different color rending. 12-24 has more colorful contrasts, sometime stronger than my eye recon in real scene. In most cases it is a plus. The 8-16 is unique for wide focal, and has more neutral colors, but still stuning color rending, just more neutral so I can post processing later if I want to.

8-16 weight a bit more. no filter available.
12-24 weight less, but a bit bigger with hood.

As comment to OP,
I too do shoot either wider or longer. 8-16 and/or 12-24, and DA*50-135 are my to go most of the time, but also 50 and 77/85.
24mm is fine in most cases.

Last edited by hoanpham; 05-04-2011 at 03:36 AM.
05-09-2011, 05:40 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
oh just buy 18-135 loh...and then add one or two fast prime.