Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2007, 08:07 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Anyone have insider's info on the Pentax 18-250mm?

Like an idea of when it'll actually be available for purchase?

I want to buy my K10d, but think I'll wait until the Pentax 18-250 is available...

No offense to Tamron, but I'm a bit of a brand snob

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if the Pentax lens will be weather sealed? That would make a HUGE difference to me and definitely make it worth the wait...

I guess I could just order up a K10d with the kit lens for the mean time... hmmm

Thanks!

-Tim

11-06-2007, 08:13 PM   #2
and
Veteran Member

It wont be weather selaled, only the DA* lenses are weather sealed.
I assume it will be out before xmas.
Too bad it seems it wont even have QuickShift, Id at least expect Pentax to include that to differentiate from the Tamron
11-06-2007, 09:04 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tim,

I could be wrong, but I have seen this selling for about $580 US in Japan currently. Should be cheaper here, though with dollar falling like meteor into the Yucatan during the Jurassic, who knows what it will cost when it hits the shelves here

Stephen
11-06-2007, 10:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

kamera_store has them for $US589, and the Tamron version for $US449

I wonder if the Pentax really is worth the $US140 difference

11-07-2007, 12:00 AM   #5

What? Pay $150 for a Brand Label?

QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote
kamera_store has them for $US589, and the Tamron version for $US449

I wonder if the Pentax really is worth the $US140 difference
What price snobbery....

I have the Tamron, and it is superb... way better IMHO than the 50-200 I got with my Pentax in IQ and Contrast, Color etc.

Phil
11-07-2007, 12:13 AM   #6
baw

Re: 18-250 availability..

Have a look at this post.

Seems price difference is Japan is ~ 10%.

The main difference imo is the gold band on the Tamron and the green one on the Pentax.
11-07-2007, 12:29 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hmm, thank you guys

So is it worth the wait just to get that green band...

I wish I weren't such a snob!

Maybe the kit lens will tide me over though

11-07-2007, 01:04 AM   #8
Veteran Member

The Pentax 18-250mm is functionally identical to Tamron version.
In fact, the lens is manufactured by Tamron. The only difference is the exterior barrel and the color band on the barrel. Despite wide spread belief, I suspect the coating would be the same as well; but this remains to be confirmed.
11-07-2007, 08:13 AM   #9
Veteran Member

And that coating could be a deal breaker for us. I've read a number of reports on the Tamron and while most rate it highly, several have mentioned CA issues. If the Pentax version has the SMC coating, I wonder whether this will help to resolve the problem others reported. If there is essentially no difference, then it's a no-brainer: Tamron all the way.
11-07-2007, 08:32 AM   #10
and
Veteran Member

I dont think the coating will help CA. If it did, then buying a good multi coated filter to put on it should do the same job.
11-07-2007, 10:53 AM   #11
Veteran Member

not nessecarily. Not all coatings are made alike. I would bet my life that the tamron is already multi-coated. It's just a question of whether the SMC coating would help in regards to CA, which I don't think it would. coatings are designed to decrease the amount of light that is reflected from each piece of glass.
11-07-2007, 11:51 AM   #12
Veteran Member

You might want to wait

Two reasons. In the last week a few reports are starting to surface there are some problems with a few of the Tamrons after a little use. I read that on the other forum. Secondly Tamron is going to offer a good size rebate in Japan running through February. When the Pentax is readily available in the states we might see some rebates here. As much as I want to get either one I'm going to wait and see what happens when they are both in stock at the major distributors.

Regards,

Ken
11-07-2007, 01:18 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I think I will wait then, that is quite compelling Regken.

I was thinking that Tamron would probably need to offer rebates on the lens, otherwise everyone would go after the Pentax one... but I guess we'll see.

I think the kit lens should hold me over. Or the 10-20mm Sigma...

Pentax isn't planning on putting out one of those anytime soon, are they?
11-07-2007, 01:37 PM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Hannican Quote
... the 10-20mm Sigma...

Pentax isn't planning on putting out one of those anytime soon, are they?
Well they do make the excellent 12-24mm f/4....Although it's a bit more expensive than the Sigma and not as wide. I vote for the Sigma.....Unless you NEED the lens to say "Pentax" on it...
11-07-2007, 04:45 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Hi Tim (Hannican)

Re your comment: "I wish I weren't such a (Pentax) snob" !

I personally count myself extremely fortunate to own the Tamron 18-250mm Di II super-zoom and judging from my limited experience, up till now it's been an exceptionally fine optic. Nevertheless, if somebody suggested that I pay over-the-odds for PRECISELY the same lens (aesthetics notwithstanding) bearing the Pentax moniker, I simply couldn't justify shelling-out more cash for it unless I had money to burn !
Of course that's entirely your privilege and I fully appreciate your desire to use equipment bearing the Pentax Logo. I'm probably congenitally stupid, but I find the 'logic' of this particular 'brand loyalty' exceedingly difficult to comprehend.
The same thing tends to happen in supermarkets. Take cornflakes for example.....here are two packets sitting side-by-side on the shelf and the contents are identical, having both come off the same production line. Yet certain customers will invariably always select the more expensive widely-advertised brand A over the cheaper brand B because they 'perceive' that brand A is somehow 'superior'............go figure !!! No doubt Psychologists would have a field-day with this kind of scenario ?
Anyhow, happy LBA when the opportunity arises.....

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 11-07-2007 at 04:54 PM.