Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2011, 08:45 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Lenses stolen in Europe - 43, 85/2.2 & 17-70

I had my K7 and 17-70, 43 and 85/2.2 swiped out of my backpack today while on a train between Paris and Cologne. Unfortunately the larger Lowepro Sling bag is too big to sit on my knee so it ends up on the overhead rack. It isn't really lockable either. It is all insured, but I don't like the idea of thieves getting away too easily so if anybody sees an 85/2.2 or black 43 limited for sale I would appreciate it if you check the serial numbers listed below;

K7 - ser# 3378404
17-70 - ser# 6407973
43/1.9 limited - ser# 0025086
85/2.2 soft - ser# 1003139

If you do see them please PM me or email to paulewins (at) optusnet (dot) com (dot) au and I will pass the information on to the Cologne (Koln) Police.

thanks,
Paul

06-01-2011, 09:25 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Be sure to post these in our serial database as well: Pentax Serial Number Database - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-01-2011, 02:48 PM   #3
wjt
Veteran Member

That sucks mate, hopefully doesn't put too much of a downer on your trip. Hopefully the insurance company will replace the k7 with a k5.
06-01-2011, 03:26 PM   #4
Banned

Photos: Gallery
I put this up on dutch forum, probably getting to some other european forums. Those things will end up on some point for sale overhere.

06-02-2011, 10:14 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Im keeping an eye open to! This sucks!
06-02-2011, 11:42 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks guys. It certainly was a downer, but not as bad as losing a wallet or passport. I've swapped to my GF's Optio W60 so that will be an interesting experience. Hopefully by the next trip there will be a suitable EVIL camera to take which can sit in a much smaller bag that stays next to me.
06-02-2011, 11:56 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Paul I feel your pain. Eighteen months ago I had my K-7, K50 1.2, M135 and a Panny LX-3 swiped off the luggage shelf on a train between Brussels and Amsterdam. Oh, and my passport was in there too!
And no, I wasn't insured. Hope you were. Tim

06-03-2011, 10:35 AM   #8
Veteran Member

mind if I ask how the swiping is done? I mean I haven't experienced my things getting swiped during a trip, so it would help to know any of the things to watch out for. thanks.
06-04-2011, 09:55 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
mind if I ask how the swiping is done? I mean I haven't experienced my things getting swiped during a trip, so it would help to know any of the things to watch out for. thanks.
If it happened when I think it did, the guy was able to sling a backpack up next to mine on the luggage rack then fiddle about for a very short time as if he was looking for something in his backpack. In the ten or twenty seconds that he is supposedly fiddling with his backpack he can take whatever he can easily grab out of my backpack and transfer it to his. He missed three lenses that were more difficult to get to, so it was over very quickly. So long as I don't notice, he then retrieves his backpack at the next stop and gets off the train. If do notice then suddenly the bag is not his and as he is probably sitting in another carriage there is probably very little risk of being caught.

My bag, the larger LowePro sling, is not really lockable. All it would take is the sort of zip found on even cheap luggage that lets you padlock the two zip heads together. So long as the zip itself is robust enough to prevent easy tampering you might then prevent this type of crime. I have seen ordinary backpacks with a metal net that goes over the outside that will even stop people cutting their way in, but I can't recall any photobags that were particularly thief resistant.

In future I will only carry something that fits easily into a messenger bag, so perhaps a K5 with the 18-250 and maybe a 50/1.4 for low light or go to some sort of EVIL camera with only a few lenses. A K7 with six lenses was a mistake for travelling. The idea is that the messenger bag is small enough to stay beside me at all times. Most backpacks are too big (and heavy), especially when full of DSLR and lenses. The messenger bag should still give me enough room for an umbrella, notebook and cap without feeling like lead on my shoulders.
06-04-2011, 10:05 AM   #10

My laptop was stolen on a train from Amsterdam to Brussels a few years back and the painful lesson I learned was to never put anything of value in the overhead rack, even if it is right above you.
06-04-2011, 10:14 AM   #11
Site Supporter

That sucks...hopefully insurance will cover it

I travelled for two years in the 3rd world with a product from pacsafe, it was likely the reason I had no issues, may be worth a look for next time. You basically need wire cutters and a serious knife (and some time) to get through it.

Pacsafe Anti-Theft Bags & Travel Security Products
06-04-2011, 11:15 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote

I travelled for two years in the 3rd world with a product from pacsafe, it was likely the reason I had no issues, may be worth a look for next time. You basically need wire cutters and a serious knife (and some time) to get through it.

Those products are what I use for travel as well. I have been using them for five years. I have four different bags from them and multiple straps and locks from them for other bags and for the camera. The camera strap is nicely padded, as well as being steel reinforced. The two photo bags are lockable as well as being reinforced with steel mesh. The waist packs are also slashproof, and you would need wire cutters to get through the waist strap. The camera insert for their other reinforced packs looks interesting.

Last edited by GeneV; 06-04-2011 at 11:32 AM.
06-04-2011, 01:14 PM   #13
Veteran Member

thanks for the tip guys. I think the best way is that if you dont need your camera in that particular moment is just rather to put it inside a hard shell luggage with locks and if you need it is just let it stay with you. I know the incovenience having to put up with your backpack sitting on your lap or just infront of you. but I guess that's the price you have to pay for security.
06-04-2011, 02:22 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by eastbay Quote
My laptop was stolen on a train from Amsterdam to Brussels a few years back and the painful lesson I learned was to never put anything of value in the overhead rack, even if it is right above you.
I have a peculiar habit of putting my stuff on the overhead rack on the opposite aisle, so that i can see if anyone ever touches it. But that's of course if the space is available, or i'd ask my neighbour to use the rack above me.
06-06-2011, 05:35 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote

Thanks for that link, I think that is just what I need! I don't think I have ever seen it at home (Australia) but I'm sure that I'll be able to buy it online.