Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2011, 06:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My newly accuired Sears 135mm f2.8

Well, I'm sure many of you know this lens. What's really exciting about mine is that I was able to convert it to an "A" lens, therefore I get metering, full aperture control and aperture value in my EXIF.

The conversion has been done and discussed here before.
Some useful info that I used to to the conversion can be found here and here.

I attached a picture I took at f3.2 set in my K-x. For a budget lens, it's pretty sharp.

Last edited by agsy; 06-23-2013 at 06:04 AM.
06-08-2011, 06:23 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Nice shot! Yeah, Sears 135/2.8's are decent lenses. I have had three (or was it four?) different versions, and I know of at least two others. What's the serial number on your lens, and country of origin? We might be able to tell which version from which lensmaker. Have fun!
06-08-2011, 07:10 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
Glad to see you are enjoying it mate Didn't know it could be converted to an "A" lens !
06-08-2011, 07:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I had one at one time that was ok, nothing great, right about par. I then got my hands on a brand new one, that was KR Ricoh mount that was manufactured by Samyang for Sears - removed the ricoh pin, and wow, really good piece of glass - the build quality was sub-par, but the optics were outstanding - the great thing was the contact were already in place on this lens, so it has "A" functionality...

--

06-08-2011, 07:12 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice shot and thanks for the info on the conversion. I did have a few older lenses in one of these cabinets...could be a great summer project.
06-08-2011, 07:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

For reference, here is a pic of the one I had, note how it is a KR mount and is cross compatible with both Ricoh K camera mounts and Pentax K camera mounts (note the "P" and the "A" on the aperture ring, translates to "Ricoh P" and "Pentax A")...
Attached Images

06-08-2011, 07:27 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
For reference, here is a pic of the one I had, note how it is a KR mount and is cross compatible with both Ricoh K camera mounts and Pentax K camera mounts (note the "P" and the "A" on the aperture ring, translates to "Ricoh P" and "Pentax A")...
Ha, that's the "macro" or what I call the "soft focus" version. Someone on here, a few years ago, discovered that the macro modes created uncorrected aberrations. For a portrait lens, why not give it a shot, you know? Especially when it's nice and sharp out of the macro modes...but it's not particularly sharp wide open.

The Mod 202 and Made in Korea on the side give it away, as does the green markings on the barrel.

No one wants to buy mine though

06-08-2011, 07:34 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies .

Yes SirJangly, the lens is a lot of fun. It was great doing business with you. A+

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
I have the "M" version of the KR (it says PK), looks exactly the same except without the "A" setting on the aperture. Serial number 840716978 made in Korea.

Last edited by agsy; 06-08-2011 at 07:42 PM.
06-08-2011, 07:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I've got one, pretty nice lens and I've used it in a pinch during an assignment where I didn't have anything longer than 50mm.
06-08-2011, 07:48 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
but it's not particularly sharp wide open
Yep, sure isn't - stopped down a bit it does produce great and relatively sharp images. When I had it, never used it for any macro photog, seems mostly all third party macro lenses (with the exception of the great classic viv'ee ones) perform sub-par, at least that has been my experience with third party macro lenses...

---
06-08-2011, 07:54 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I find the catch-in-focus to work very well with this lens. Here is a pic of the lens and the modification on the mount.

Last edited by agsy; 06-23-2013 at 06:02 AM.
10-22-2012, 10:21 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I hate mine. I have a the same Ricoh version (with the pin removed), and it's the softest, most worthless low-resolution piece of crap I've ever used. At f2.8 don't even think about rotating that front element, unless you want blur, blur, and more blur. If you don't, it has a minimum focusing distance of about a mile and a half, and it's still not even remotely sharp. There's still some glow at f2.8, no matter what you do. If you really stop down it can be marginally useful, but this is a $20 lens and you get what you pay for.

Here are some samples.

Rotated one click. Used flash and 1/125 shutter speed to eliminate possibility of blur. ISO400. Contrast adjusted, that's about it though, no sharpening.

Here's a real nice showing of how craptacular this lens is at f2.8 with the front element rotated into the macro zone. This is straight out of the camera, without any edits. Trust me, this is correctly focused.

And here's the same photo with a bit of post processing work. (Still no sharpening though)

What's even worse, the uncorrected aberrations completely screw up the focusing engine. It "dink-dinks" for catch-in focus when it's not even REMOTELY close to focused. The only way to focus the lens is using the screen. This lens is junk.

Charles.

Last edited by ChopperCharles; 10-22-2012 at 10:27 PM.