Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
06-09-2011, 12:13 AM   #1

Tamron 90mm or Pentax 100mm WR?

Hi guy,

I am about to buy the portrait/Macro lens. So I have Tamron 90mm and Pentax 100mm WR in my mind.

I am in Austalia which Tamron here is about $550 and Pentax $890(both from Authorised Dealer come with local warranty) but I can also buy the pentax from grey market which is about just $700

should I go for Pentax or Tamron?

Cheers,

Lee

06-09-2011, 12:49 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have not used the Pentax but I did buy the Tamron 90 recently. I used it daily throughout a drizzly May for the "Single in May" challenge here on the forum and loved it. It may not be WR but it is durable and versatile. The colours and textures it can render are incredible and for the money I don't think you would be disappointed. I haven't used for a portrait yet but here are a few examples:

06-09-2011, 01:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I had similar questions - maybe this thread will help you..

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/144427-about-b...-kit-lens.html

Conclusions for me were..

Sigma, tamron, Pentax - whatever you buy, you will be happy as IQ on all 3 is great.
On the Pentax - if you plan to shoot non-macro - the lack of a focus limiter might be an issue for you, but you do gain quick shift with a Pentax which helps..
Don't discount older glass - it is very good..

I went for the 'plastic fantastic' Cosina F3.5 100mm for the following reasons...

£400+ is alot of money for me..
Im new to macro, and everything I have read indicates that it is a completely different kettle of fish to normal photography..
So I figured, get a cheaper lens and learn about macro and how to do it well before making my first ever big lens purchase. The Cosina comes with a very good reputation..

A couple of things to do

Check out the lens reviews on this site - they are really useful
Use flickr, I searched for the cosina and there is a group for that lens and I liked what I saw.. Flickr is great for seeing what other people are doing with the lens that you want to buy..
Remember that one of the reasons we like Pentax is for the ability to use older glass..

Im still going to get a new macro lens in the future as it is the one area that really has my interest - this way I can learn how do it, get an idea of what I want in my new lens - AF/Quick shift/ focal limiter/focal length etc so when I do splash the cash I will be ale to hit the ground running...

Hope this helps
06-09-2011, 02:02 AM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

The Tammy 90mm, Pentax 100mm and Sigma 105mm are all highly regarded. You cannot get wrong with anyone.

I was in your situation 12 months ago. The Pentax was too expansive. I tested both the Sigma and Tamron. The Sigma was nice but a bit heavy. At end I went for the Tammy with its excellent price value and light weight.

No regret.

Last edited by hcc; 06-09-2011 at 07:26 PM.
06-09-2011, 02:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I sold my Tamron 90 AF macro (the most recent version) and my Vivitar/Kiron 105/2.5 macro. I got the D FA 100 WR macro and am very happy with it. The other lenses have certain strengths, but the Pentax does everything well. It's smaller and lighter, so I take it with me most of the time now. I think it's the most practical one, as long as you can afford it. The rounded aperture blades are nice to have.

I did keep my Vivitar/Cosina 100/3.5 AF macro, though! (It's good enough for many needs on an absolute basis, and is certainly worth the price.)
06-09-2011, 02:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote

I did keep my Vivitar/Cosina 100/3.5 AF macro, though! (It's good enough for many needs on an absolute basis, and is certainly worth the price.)
Put it on my camera for the first time last night, god the build quality sucks, and the AF noise scared the cat, but Im more than happy with the 2 test images I shot...
06-09-2011, 02:55 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by edgedemon Quote
Put it on my camera for the first time last night, god the build quality sucks, and the AF noise scared the cat, but Im more than happy with the 2 test images I shot...
True!

06-09-2011, 06:30 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Tamron is easily the better value.
06-09-2011, 10:49 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I went with the Tamron when I was making the decision on which lens to buy. I could not justify the extra expense for the Pentax. I have really enjoyed the Tamron. It takes fantastic pictures. The focus limiter is very helpful. I use it all of the time.
06-09-2011, 12:23 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
The Tamron is easily the better value.
Compared to the sigma, that 15mm is a difference. The WR has 10mm and WR as well as the rounded blades.
06-09-2011, 05:23 PM   #11
JHD
Veteran Member

Another vote for the Tamron. Not only is the IQ great, it is considerably less money ($200), and it comes with a much longer warranty than the Pentax.

Last edited by JHD; 06-09-2011 at 05:30 PM.
06-09-2011, 05:29 PM   #12

My Pentax 100mm is built like a tank. Like an "old school quality lens". It's pretty noisy, but it doesn't bother me. Very sharp as a macro, and as a telephoto. I think it's worth every penny.
06-09-2011, 05:31 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
Another vote for the Tamron. Not only is the IQ great, it considerably less money, and it comes with a much longer warranty than the Pentax.
Ok, I understand the argument about the longer warranty when it comes to comparing SDM and HSM lenses, but when is the last time you heard of a lens like the 100WR failing and needing warranty service? At least in my mind the extra warranty length when comparing these two particular lenses is somewhat irrelevant (just my opinion, take it for what it's worth).

That said, I agree the Tamron is the better value at about a third to half the money. It was my first macro lens and the IQ is outstanding. The build of the 100WR is second-to-none and I really do like the quick-shift focusing feature. Bottom line is you can't go wrong with either lens as they're both excellent.
06-09-2011, 05:51 PM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Ok, I understand the argument about the longer warranty when it comes to comparing SDM and HSM lenses, but when is the last time you heard of a lens like the 100WR failing and needing warranty service? At least in my mind the extra warranty length when comparing these two particular lenses is somewhat irrelevant (just my opinion, take it for what it's worth).

That said, I agree the Tamron is the better value at about a third to half the money. It was my first macro lens and the IQ is outstanding. The build of the 100WR is second-to-none and I really do like the quick-shift focusing feature. Bottom line is you can't go wrong with either lens as they're both excellent.

+1

Exactly!
06-09-2011, 05:57 PM   #15

The quick shift is a pretty nice feature to have for macro shots.