Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2011, 07:58 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kiron 28mm f2 (Kinon Precsion)

I've had this lens for a while and never used it. Thought I'd just take some quick shots around my neighbourhood.

All shots taken wideopen at f2 in low light.

Post processed including sharpness like I would in real life.

It seems useable

Last edited by pcarfan; 06-21-2011 at 05:37 AM.
06-20-2011, 09:44 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice shots, but...

Don't hide the real Porsches! Everyone knows only air cooled Porsches are true Porsches!

Looks like a good lens to me. But, then, I'm crazy for fast, wide / widish lenses.

Tim
06-20-2011, 10:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

You're sure it's a Kiron 28/2? I have the Kiron 24/2, Komine 28/2 CFWA, and Kiron 28/2.5. I'd not heard of a Kiron 28/2; but I'm going deaf, so I don't hear everything.

I love those fast wide lenses. The Tamron 28/2.5 too; but the Komine 28/2 CFWA is my favorite 'normal' glass. May I ask the mount and serial number on your Kiron?
06-21-2011, 05:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by all thumbs Quote
Don't hide the real Porsches! Everyone knows only air cooled Porsches are true Porsches!

Looks like a good lens to me. But, then, I'm crazy for fast, wide / widish lenses.

Tim
No! real porsches have rear engines like the 911 whether it's water or air cooled

It's a decent lens, being an old design one had to be careful with bright lights etc. I bought it for my SLR and thought I'd try it in the K-5 as i rarely ever use my slr.

06-21-2011, 05:17 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
You're sure it's a Kiron 28/2? I have the Kiron 24/2, Komine 28/2 CFWA, and Kiron 28/2.5. I'd not heard of a Kiron 28/2; but I'm going deaf, so I don't hear everything.

I love those fast wide lenses. The Tamron 28/2.5 too; but the Komine 28/2 CFWA is my favorite 'normal' glass. May I ask the mount and serial number on your Kiron?
It is supposed to be the same as some of the Vivitar 28/2's as there are different versions of those.

The lens is P/K mount and takes a 55mm filter. Serial number 40100108.

The lens barrel says KIRON KINO PRECISION JAPAN 28mm f/2 MC

This is the lens: Kiron 28mm F2 MC Lens Reviews - Fixed Focal Lengths - Pentax Third-Party Lens Review Database

Supposed to be the same as these Vivitars: Vivitar 28mm f2 MC (M series) Lens Reviews - Fixed Focal Lengths - Pentax Third-Party Lens Review Database

A webpage on the various versions of these vivitar 28/2
Great Vivitar 28mm Bestiary

I bought it at the marketplace here for $125.
06-21-2011, 05:48 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
It is supposed to be the same as some of the Vivitar 28/2's as there are different versions of those.

The lens is P/K mount and takes a 55mm filter. Serial number 40100108.

The lens barrel says KIRON KINO PRECISION JAPAN 28mm f/2 MC

This is the lens: Kiron 28mm F2 MC Lens Reviews - Fixed Focal Lengths - Pentax Third-Party Lens Review Database

Supposed to be the same as these Vivitars: Vivitar 28mm f2 MC (M series) Lens Reviews - Fixed Focal Lengths - Pentax Third-Party Lens Review Database

A webpage on the various versions of these vivitar 28/2
Great Vivitar 28mm Bestiary

I bought it at the marketplace here for $125.
I have had the same lens for more than 25 years. I like it quite a bit, and it has been my poor man's FA31 at times. This shot was at F/2 and at the minimum focus distance, so the DOF is about the thickness of a rose petal, but it did well under the circumstances.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
06-21-2011, 06:05 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Looks good...

Here is another one, again at F2

06-21-2011, 09:14 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I have had the same lens for more than 25 years. I like it quite a bit, and it has been my poor man's FA31 at times. This shot was at F/2 and at the minimum focus distance, so the DOF is about the thickness of a rose petal, but it did well under the circumstances.
did you soften the image on purpose? although I think this would benefit during PP using detail enhancements. right now I'm learning how to use a lot of the Topaz add-ons, including the Topaz Lens Effect which does a DOF manipulation.
06-22-2011, 12:43 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
did you soften the image on purpose? although I think this would benefit during PP using detail enhancements. right now I'm learning how to use a lot of the Topaz add-ons, including the Topaz Lens Effect which does a DOF manipulation.
No, I didn't do any processing to soften the image. I did do some sharpening. The DOF is very shallow at this close distance at F/2. The back petals, leaves to the right and deep center of the flower are in focus and are quite sharp, especially the leaves. Much of the rest of the flower is not. That is the nature of a wide aperture close up. You either like this effect or you don't. I have another version at F/8 that shows more detail on all the petals, but doesn't have the dreamy background.
06-22-2011, 07:40 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I have an M11 (Kiron-made Vivitar 28mm f/2 in m42 mount) on my camera right now. I was doing some rough testing today against my FA 28/2.8, and the results were surprisingly similar. Except at f/2, where contrast falls off and CA goes up... but the FA doesn't take any pics at f/2, so not quite the same. Good lens!
06-22-2011, 10:51 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Not bad but not as good as the A 28/2 currently in the Marketplace...

C'mon, you know you want it!

06-23-2011, 12:40 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a vivitar (by kiron) 24/2 in nikon mount and a true kiron 28/2 in minolta MD mount. I have converted both to manual aperture K mounts by removing the mount and replacing them with M42-K flanged adaptors

Both lenses cost me a total of $5 to purchase because like many kiron lenses of that vintage the apertures were totally stuck with oil

Disassembly of the lens and thorough cleaning solved that problem

The performance of these lenses is far superior to the sigma 24 and 28 mini wides in terms of control of lateral CA
06-23-2011, 04:49 AM   #13

Looks like you have a good sample of this lens. i found mine optically poor. And coma like you wouldn't believe. Made some night shots with it and light sources away from center frame all look like comets.
06-23-2011, 09:30 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DanielT74 Quote
Not bad but not as good as the A 28/2 currently in the Marketplace...

C'mon, you know you want it!

You are an evil! evil! man
06-23-2011, 09:44 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by conradj Quote
Looks like you have a good sample of this lens. iIfound mine optically poor. And coma like you wouldn't believe. Made some night shots with it and light sources away from center frame all look like comets.
It doesn't have the usual PF/CA that I would have expected, actually as you can see they are totally absent even around the blownout lights. This is mighty impressive.

However, a few interior shots with a wide dynamic range, like a bright window to one edge does cast a light leak look in a few shots.

I've sharpened these shots, definitely soft at f2.