Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2011, 08:51 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So, 4000mm what does it look like? Reflex 2000mm

Here are some test shots at 4000mm. This is the Reflex 2000mm with the Pentax A 2X-L TC attached.

These were (obviously) tripoded, and triggered from live view (no mirror slap) with the remote.

These are shots of Mt Olympus from my driveway, probably about 5 miles and several thousand vertical feet away.

Using live view, zoomed in a couple of times, I could visibly watch the heat distorting the image in and out. Also, our air, well it's not the cleanest in the nation.

So without further ado...

From top to bottom:
4000mm shot
4000mm 100% crop
4000mm 100% crop #2
31mm for reference.
Robin at 2000mm (atop the tree at the back of our yard)
Robin at 2000mm 100% crop.

(Please ignore the sensor dust :P )

Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo       
06-21-2011, 09:07 PM   #2
Banned

Photos: Albums
Not bad for such extreme focal length. Do you have a photo of the lens?
06-21-2011, 09:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
Also, our air, well it's not the cleanest in the nation.
I drove through SLC (enroute from Park City UT to Winnemucca NV) just one week ago. The air was enough to gag a maggot, as we say in my homeland. I don't think the Arizona fires and the Jet Stream were to blame. But considering... your shots *are* rather impressive. One of these days (early morning, clear still air) I'll have to take my Rubinar Makpo 1000/10 and a couple TC's up to the Pacific Crest and try something similar.
06-21-2011, 09:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This thread made me laugh, in a good way.

Also THE AIR IS BAD FROM CHEMTRAILS>>>>>>

06-21-2011, 09:53 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Immmmpressive!!

Time to add another 2x TC and searching the Moon for the Eagle lunar module that touched down on the Sea of Tranquillity during the Apollo 11 landing. The Proof is out there.
06-21-2011, 10:16 PM   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
Time to add another 2x TC and searching the Moon for the Eagle lunar module that touched down on the Sea of Tranquillity during the Apollo 11 landing. The Proof is out there.
06-22-2011, 12:28 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I could visibly watch the heat distorting the image in and out.
If you use a longer exposure of 1second and longer(if possible) the heat distortion won't be so detrimental to image quality.

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
THE AIR IS BAD FROM CHEMTRAILS
what absolute rubbish.

06-22-2011, 12:38 AM   #8
Banned

Funny lensuse.
06-22-2011, 03:40 AM   #9
wjt
Veteran Member

that is quite interesting, thanks for taking the time to share your results.
06-22-2011, 06:05 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
Also THE AIR IS BAD FROM CHEMTRAILS>>>>>>
@paperbag846 I'm pretty sure our cars, industry, and low emission standards, in combination with the Salt Lake Valley's ability to trap the air, has far *less* to do with this issue than the super secret *CHEMTRAILS*!

@cmohr when I can't find it, can I confront Buzz Aldrin and get my lights punched out too?

@Laurentiu Cristofor I will add a photo of the lens soon.

@Digitalis I will have to give a longer exposure a try. It's tricky though because even a slight breeze moves the lens so a shorter exposure time seemed in more order. Also, wouldn't a longer exposure capture both more sharper data and also more less sharp data? At 4000mm it was crazy how I could watch portions of the live view move in and out of focus in waves.

Last edited by Clinton; 06-22-2011 at 06:12 AM.
06-22-2011, 06:19 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
For those of you that are interested in procuring one of these lenses, there's one available in the Netherlands: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-price-watch/149012-pentax-super-mu...therlands.html
06-22-2011, 08:17 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I will have to give a longer exposure a try. It's tricky though because even a slight breeze moves the lens so a shorter exposure time seemed in more order. Also, wouldn't a longer exposure capture both more sharper data and also more less sharp data? At 4000mm it was crazy how I could watch portions of the live view move in and out of focus in waves.
I can imagine what that was like, I have observed stars through a very large refractor telescope and the star would visibly "wobble" from the atmospheric distortion.

The idea behind using long exposures is that the atmospheric distortions are rather transient and don't remain in one place long enough to register on a exposure of 10 seconds or so, it would be interesting to see you use this combo at night sometime.
07-11-2011, 09:56 AM   #13

Didn't wish to hijack your thread - but it just so happens........................
Gitzo tripod and Wimberley Mk2 head
Note that because, as Clinton has already mentioned somewhere, the barrel of the lens is just a bit too large to sit lower down in the Wimberley
07-11-2011, 05:45 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I hope you undo that strap before you shoot. Even walking on the ground seems enough to move the lens about.
07-11-2011, 05:59 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
ok, so this pic actually made me chuckle almost as much as the people at the top of my local mountian.

I don't think the deer will be able to see the tripod, cammo or not, at a moderate focus distance for the 2000mm, but I do think they will be able to see the large reflective mirror in the back of the lens... just sayin'

I'm sure you use the tripod for other things, but I really couldn't resist.