Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2007, 06:13 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

M80 your comment about giving something reminds me of the Mastercard commercial after the Sox won the World Series in 04. Dennis Leary has to give one up after making such a comments. So be carefull what you wish for someday it may come true and you will have to pay up. LOLOLLOLOL . Boy I need a coffee. Tom where are the pictures????

12-06-2007, 07:07 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Nice tips on the tripod and head Roy, I'll be grabbing one of those for my 500/4.5.

Incidentally, the thought of using that lens as a 135mm f6.7 is positively hilarious A prime at that length and max aperture would be the size of a plantain....LOL....
12-06-2007, 08:33 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
Owning a 300mm f/2.8 I'd give my right nut for its 120-300mm f/2.8 sister. Maybe that's just me but the Sigma zoom is said to be so good I'd give up a tiny bit of sharpness for the flexibility and greater usability.
That is what my 70-200 f2.8 plus 1.4 x TC does.
12-06-2007, 08:41 AM   #19
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by d.bradley Quote
Nice tips on the tripod and head Roy, I'll be grabbing one of those for my 500/4.5.

Incidentally, the thought of using that lens as a 135mm f6.7 is positively hilarious A prime at that length and max aperture would be the size of a plantain....LOL....
Come on now this is the ultimate walk about lens. Long enough to be used as a walking cane, Heavy enough to beat off muggers and a focal length that allows any mid to long tele shot to be in range. What more could you ask for.

Come on Tom We're waiting for your assessment of this beautiful beast!

12-06-2007, 12:05 PM   #20
Pentaxian

And now I have a 135-600mm too, and it’s big, REALLY big. Hm I need a new tripod…
09-21-2008, 08:36 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Any of you guys that have the 135-600 get a lens plate for it (Arca-Swiss, RRS or KE)? Which one, or how many mount holes are available for attachment?

I ordered one, and am trying to get a jump on ordering a plate for it.

Thanks.

I promise to see a therapist soon about my LBA
09-21-2008, 08:49 AM   #22

Photos: Albums
MAN! I want one of those!!!

I'd love to see it on a MX... it would be funny to see that super big canon on that pretty small body

10-16-2008, 07:00 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Taming the beast...

I've got a solution to the "wild imbalance" of this lens (just got my Really Right Stuff package today).

I used an L84 lens plate (3.6" long, no-twist flange), two B2-Pro/L clamps (drill out the threads of the two 1/4" X 20 screw holes in one clamp, then mount them back to back with two 1/4" X 20 X 3/4" screws), and an 18" camera support bar. The back to back clamps mount to the lens plate and the support bar, and the support bar gets clamped onto your tripod head (a Wimberley Gimbal head is ideal). With this setup, you can use the generous length of the support bar to get the lens/camera combination into fingertip balance on a Gimbal head, which will make it a joy to use. The space resulting from the back to back clamps gives you good room for your hand to operate the zoom/focusing ring as well. The stuff is pricey, but without it the lens would be unpleasant to use and would probably end up collecting dust, which would be a sin. Of course, if you're a metal fabricator, you can probably custom build something.
10-16-2008, 10:49 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 24X36NOW Quote
I've got a solution to the "wild imbalance" of this lens (just got my Really Right Stuff package today).

I used an L84 lens plate (3.6" long, no-twist flange), two B2-Pro/L clamps (drill out the threads of the two 1/4" X 20 screw holes in one clamp, then mount them back to back with two 1/4" X 20 X 3/4" screws), and an 18" camera support bar. The back to back clamps mount to the lens plate and the support bar, and the support bar gets clamped onto your tripod head (a Wimberley Gimbal head is ideal). With this setup, you can use the generous length of the support bar to get the lens/camera combination into fingertip balance on a Gimbal head, which will make it a joy to use. The space resulting from the back to back clamps gives you good room for your hand to operate the zoom/focusing ring as well. The stuff is pricey, but without it the lens would be unpleasant to use and would probably end up collecting dust, which would be a sin. Of course, if you're a metal fabricator, you can probably custom build something.
Thanks for the info - I need to assemble something like this to make my copy more usable.

BTW. how do you find the exposure metering accuracy as you stop it down. Mine progressively underexposes, big time...
10-17-2008, 08:56 AM   #25
Veteran Member

will we be allow to carry it into a cabin plane?

dudeee

its look like bazoooka to meee

--

waiting to see the result pictures from it

congratulation
10-18-2008, 10:25 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jamesk8752 Quote
Thanks for the info - I need to assemble something like this to make my copy more usable.

BTW. how do you find the exposure metering accuracy as you stop it down. Mine progressively underexposes, big time...
Sadly, with the short days, it's sundown by the time I get home from work these days, and I'm running around all weekend (up to MA today, down to NYC tomorrow), so I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. I'll keep you posted, though...
10-18-2008, 12:58 PM   #27
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
Have you seen the Pentax 1000 f8 in ebay?....That has to be a hell of a monster also.

This guy? SMC Pentax 8/1000mm f Camera Pentax K - eBay (item 350101310153 end time Oct-23-08 05:22:31 PDT)
10-18-2008, 04:11 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Wonderful lens - congratulations! Re: the tripod mount, I just received a 600mm Lentar which has a very heavy and well-designed mount that puts the weight further forward. There is a pic on my 'Glass - long and heavy' post. I tried the lens this afternoon and think I'll get acceptable product from it even tho my trial shots were handheld. I look forward to trying it with the PTX 1.7 F AF TC.........that would be 1020mm, right? Ha!