Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2011, 11:51 PM   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Tilt & Shift

A new thread on this item.

Would you want Pentax to make a new tilt&shift lens, or just shift or tilt? Do you want it for APS-C camera line or does it need a full frame camera? If not for APS-C would it be best for Pentax brand to develop it for 645D or not at all?

06-25-2011, 12:49 AM   #2
Veteran Member

That would be nice. In fact, I'd be nice if they made a T/S wide angle like the Canon 17mm. I wonder if they could even increase the shift range by shifting the sensor as well?
06-25-2011, 07:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Really can't understand why....

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
A new thread on this item.

Would you want Pentax to make a new tilt&shift lens, or just shift or tilt? Do you want it for APS-C camera line or does it need a full frame camera? If not for APS-C would it be best for Pentax brand to develop it for 645D or not at all?
since it can all be fixed in Photoshop/Lightroom/Aperture.

Cheers,
Cameron
06-25-2011, 08:09 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Focusing a tilted plane is not easy with software...

QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
since it {Tilt/Shift} can all be fixed in Photoshop/Lightroom/Aperture....
Tilt is not so easy with software in the general case. It is not so hard to fake throwing a tilted foreground & background out of focus for a miniaturization effect but not so easy to do the reverse.

A through focus series can be stacked to bring all of a tilted plane into focus but that's a big undertaking compared to tilting a lens for a single exposure.

Shift is trivial in software.

06-25-2011, 02:08 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
since it can all be fixed in Photoshop/Lightroom/Aperture.
For web size images, sure. But if you are after ultimate image quality, then "bending pixels" will degrade the result. Not to mention, with T/S lens you simply set up the lens once and get the results for whole set of images at certain scene, but doing it all over again in Photoshop can be time consuming and tiresome.

On the other hand, not sure if there is market for such expensive specialty lens in Pentax world. People who need or can afford this kind of equipment rather opt for FF C5D II with the already existing 17mm T/S. My opinion only, of course...

Last edited by RBullCZ; 06-25-2011 at 02:14 PM.
06-25-2011, 03:04 PM   #6
Banned

Original Poster
Today i had the oppertunity to put the K 28mm/f3.5 shift lens on my K-5. I will look into pictures after the weekend but I do understand a little bit off functionality. Yes you can make everything in photoshop, but it does come in handy to play around with the functions of the lens. For aps-c this is not wideangle enough I think, so probably 18mm for aps-c would be better.

Transferring such an item to 645D would make it a PRO-use lens only, and that does make sence, since it wouldn't be a cheap toy for out current camera's.
06-27-2011, 06:23 AM   #7
Banned

Original Poster
Pentax K 28mm/f3.5 shift

So I had this lens on my Silver K-5 last saturday. First time that I had a look at such a lens. Thanks for having this oppertunity.

These are a few quick pictures, so not for quality messurement.

Normal:

Max shift on one side:

Max shift to the other side:

You can also have les shift and also turn the lens and shift in a different angle, so here it is sideways, left right, but up or down or in an angle of 270 degrees (or another angle) is also possible. When you shift to its maximum you get a pretty hefty vignetting.

When I look at this then the 28mm isn't wide enough for APS-C. To be honest I think that even 18mm isn't very wide but giving allready hefty problem's (distortion) to solve in production. Making such a lens for APS-C is more expensive I think then making it for a full frame camera due to these lens correction's to give a nice and descent image that is distortion free.

So to me this makes sence that it is not a lens for APS-C. If there is no Full Frame camera in near future then this would be a lens for 645D.

How do you look at this?

06-27-2011, 07:08 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Pentax needs to make a Tilt lens...

Tilt. Perspective correction given by shift can be emulated in software, but focal plane tilt cannot (and not the silly "miniature effect" like folks who don't know scheimpflug).

The problem is that either tilt or shift requires a lens designed with an image circle that is bigger than the intended format. So, APS-C would be the easiest (take an old 35mm design), and for 645 they could reuse a 6x7 format lens design - or else create something entirely new. I doubt Hoytax will put the $ into creating an entirely new lens that hits a niche of a niche market (shifters in medium format), but then I could be wrong...

Of course, if Pentax did make a tilt-only lens, folks would complain that it doesn't shift!
06-27-2011, 11:16 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I'd be happy with a 6X7/K tilt&shift adaptor. Now, if Pentax made one 24mm or shorter, I would be tempted.
06-28-2011, 06:42 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Tilt is more important, but both tilt and shift is better.
and in several focal, from wide/ultra wide to approx 50-70mm/short/medium tele.
K28shift in a crop sensor is not as good as FF, but the K28 shift is an awesome lens for architecture, and still good in dslr. The lens produces near perfect lines for perspective.