Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2011, 11:32 AM   #1
Forum Member

Has anyone had an SDM repair done recently?

So, I need to have my DA* 16-50 sent in to get its SDM repaired. I've been using it as a manual focus lens, but the throw is so short that it's kind of a pain. Has anyone had a DA* lens fixed recently? About what was the cost to fix the SDM? Do I have an option besides sending it directly to Pentax USA? It's WAAY out of warranty, by the way.

Can CRIS Camera fix it, and has anyone used them for this repair? Is that one of those things where they'd have to send it to Pentax anyway?

I'd hate to be without the lens for a long period of time because my prime kit is pretty limited (no pun intended) right now and I really like the image quality I get from my copy of the zoom. Is the turnaround measured in weeks, months, or lifetimes?

Thanks in advance. This is pretty frustrating.

08-17-2011, 12:11 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Before you send it off for repair, take a look at this> DIY SDM repair v1.0
08-17-2011, 12:19 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yes

I had a repair made to my DA 16-50 by CRIS after dropping my tripod and smashing the camera and lens (twice) in one day and for the first time in my career. They were fairly prompt (4 weeks or so even though they had to wait for spare parts to come in) though with the Ricoh takeover I would check about the availability of spare parts before sending it in.

The lens seems to work fine now (it wouldn't work at all after the second drop and you could hear the pieces of gears just flying around inside the lens) and the repair, camera included, was less than $250. I don't recall the breakdown in price, but I was astonished at such fair pricing. Our European counterparts seem to have to pay an arm and a leg.

So, no problems here with respect to CRIS's ability to get the job done right.

Stephen
08-17-2011, 12:44 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
Before you send it off for repair, take a look at this> DIY SDM repair v1.0
I forgot to mention that I tried the DIY fix a few weeks ago and got no joy. Plus I had a heck of a time getting the gaskets and those stupid contacts to all seat correctly. Should've used tape like I saw mentioned somewhere, but I didn't read that till after I had the lens back together.

QuoteOriginally posted by SCGushue Quote
I had a repair made to my DA 16-50 by CRIS after dropping my tripod and smashing the camera and lens (twice) in one day and for the first time in my career. They were fairly prompt (4 weeks or so even though they had to wait for spare parts to come in) though with the Ricoh takeover I would check about the availability of spare parts before sending it in.

The lens seems to work fine now (it wouldn't work at all after the second drop and you could hear the pieces of gears just flying around inside the lens) and the repair, camera included, was less than $250. I don't recall the breakdown in price, but I was astonished at such fair pricing. Our European counterparts seem to have to pay an arm and a leg.

So, no problems here with respect to CRIS's ability to get the job done right.

Stephen
Wow, that's pretty cheap to fix the lens and the camera. I'll have to give them a call and see if they have parts and what the turnaround would be. Luckily my camera body works fine. I could live without the lens for a while, but I'd probably have trouble with no camera.

Thanks for the help, guys. Anyone else with advice or anecdotes?

08-17-2011, 12:44 PM   #5
Forum Member

So...Where do you buy a SDM motor if I ever wanted to fix it myself?? Everything looks simple but is there something that is removed or replaced? Please clarify...
08-17-2011, 03:16 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My DA*16-50 is currently at CRIS for SDM replacement.
The repair bill = $195 [includes return shipping & 6 mo. warranty]

It was about 6 months beyond end of the warranty period .

I sent the lens in on July 12th, so it has been gone just over 4 weeks so far.

I got the repair invoice on July 25. The CRIS repair includes a 6 month service warranty.

update 8/18: CRIS just charged my CC, so that means the repair is finished and the lens is on it's way home.

update 8/19: The lens arrived last night. It performs just like new. Auto-Focus is performing flawlessly again. Cudos CRIS!

Last edited by Moe49; 08-30-2011 at 09:55 AM.
08-17-2011, 05:37 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Moe49 Quote
My DA*16-50 is currently at CRIS for SDM replacement.
The repair bill = $195 [includes return shipping]

It was about 6 months beyond end of the warranty period .

I sent the lens in on July 12th, so it has been gone just over 4 weeks so far.

I got the repair invoice on July 25. The CRIS repair includes a 6 month service warranty.
Awesome. Well, not that it's taking so long, but that you answered my questions 100%. Thanks, and good luck with it. Do you know if they are replacing the motor? Seems that the price is ... reasonable? Well, it's less than I had expected it might be, anyway.

08-18-2011, 06:01 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jason 407 Quote
Do you know if they are replacing the motor?
The SDM motor is being replaced. Which makes sense, since CRIS is going to warranty it for 6 months.

Last edited by Moe49; 08-30-2011 at 09:57 AM.
08-18-2011, 11:06 PM   #9

Photos: Gallery
disappointing

..that we have to repair SDM motor barely out of warranty.
08-19-2011, 03:43 AM   #10

Photos: Albums
Hi, my 60-250 just came back today. It was repaired under warranty by CRK in Australia.

On the service sheet they indicated a lens motor was swapped.

Somehow I think the new motor is a little bit louder than the old. Who knows, as long as it will last...