Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What should I ask for?
$700 741.18%
$600 317.65%
$500 211.76%
$400 211.76%
Return the lens. This is too serious a problem to ignore. (explain) 317.65%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2011, 05:33 AM   #16

What about asking Pentax for a repair quote and ask the seller for the same refund ?
You will be guaranteed to have a working lens.

09-15-2011, 05:44 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry for my lack of knowledge.
Are these 200 macro lenses superior image quality, or because it is rare and people are willing to pay more?
Please help me to understand.
09-15-2011, 05:48 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote
Are these 200 macro lenses superior image quality, or because it is rare and people are willing to pay more?

Both
The lens is utterly fantastic.
09-15-2011, 05:49 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZEPsikopat Quote
What about asking Pentax for a repair quote and ask the seller for the same refund ?
You will be guaranteed to have a working lens.
Yeah. I'm absolutely sure that Pentax can provide spare parts for this lens. It is probably dirt cheap.
Seven years ago I got a brand new rear element for a Pentax A* 135/1.8; they (Pentax Japan) had spare parts in stock.....

09-15-2011, 06:23 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The problem with Pentax US repairs these days is they wont give you any manner of quote or even if they can do anything about it over the phone. You send it to CRIS and that is that. Then you find out if they cant do the repairs that you still have to pay return shipping. This leaves me asking 3rd parties like Eric who says spare parts for this lens cannot be obtained anymore.

I'm going to try Forsters Camera (who is here in Salt Lake, and is on Pentax JP's website of official repair facilities) next.

The last one of these I saw for sale sold for $3711 on 6/3/2010, and that is the only copy of the FA* 200 Macro that I've seen chance hands since then.
09-15-2011, 12:47 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think I paid less than $1000 for brand new the day it was released...
09-15-2011, 01:18 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Clint,

Would you like me to check my sources? I am traveling and may be able to send a message tonight - no guarantees on a prompt response of course. Should be able to confirm parts availability and/or if an alternative is available.

I am so glad I bought my demo unit from Pentax Canada several years ago. It's a stunning lens optically and very nice handling, even handheld.

Cheers,
Marc

09-15-2011, 02:49 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
That'd be great. Thanks Marc!

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
Would you like me to check my sources?
09-15-2011, 02:53 PM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote
It is a 1:1 macro lens. Both the A* 200 and FA* 200 are the best macro lenses in the 180-200 focal length ever made. That is why you see an example of a Canonian paying serious dollars for this lens and modifying it to work on a full frame body.
09-15-2011, 02:55 PM   #25
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
I think I paid less than $1000 for brand new the day it was released...
This is one of the worst 1:1 macro lenses in the 180-200mm range ever made. Being a nice guy and all, I am willing to fly over there and refund your money.
09-15-2011, 03:34 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Forget Pentax USA. Try to see if a shop in Japan can do this. Get quotes and ask for a partial refund.

If you used eBay/PayPal, you have protection and conciliation available. In this case you may have the legal right through contract for a partial remediation as opposed to outright return. Document. Document. Document. Get a photo sample from someone here of a proper copy.
09-15-2011, 04:14 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To clarify on my previous post: I communicate with someone having direct access to Pentax Japan. I will also check warehouse part availability within North America - never hurts to ask, just in case

Clint, if you need anything else, let me know. I'll be happy to do what I can.

Regards
Marc
09-15-2011, 04:22 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
I'm going to try Forsters Camera (who is here in Salt Lake, and is on Pentax JP's website of official repair facilities) next
They did a good job on some of my equipment a while back; but, really what it comes down to is parts availability. There are a couple custom plastics manufactures here in town, could always check and see if they could make one...

If you keep it do ya want to sell the Sigma 180 macro? I am about to give up on the Sigma 150 macro being made for Pentax.
09-15-2011, 05:44 PM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
The problem with Pentax US repairs these days is they wont give you any manner of quote or even if they can do anything about it over the phone. You send it to CRIS and that is that. Then you find out if they cant do the repairs that you still have to pay return shipping. This leaves me asking 3rd parties like Eric who says spare parts for this lens cannot be obtained anymore.
They need to change this policy. They need to give free estimates before shipping things in.
09-15-2011, 06:04 PM   #30
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Pentax can probably repair this. Get a quote and ask for that much.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: