Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
10-20-2011, 06:46 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Anyone know anything about this 300mm f2.8 lens?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

This lens is up for sale on Ebay currently:

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Does anyone know anything about this lens? Seems like a real nice f2.8 lens.

10-20-2011, 07:32 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I haven't seen one before, but this could be an inexpensive way to shoot 300/2.8
10-20-2011, 07:39 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hello Clinton.

Thanks for weighing in on this. I suppose the biggee question is just how much it would go for. I assume that it is indeed in good working condition and that its performance is on a par with other 2.8 lenses.
10-20-2011, 07:42 AM   #4
Site Supporter

What do you want to know about it? It Ricoh's k mount line. It looks like a P series which means you may have to deal with the "ricoh pin" but that is no big deal. This lens will work like an A series Pentax lens. The seller spends way too much time babbling about Tokina when the should be talking about Ricoh Rikenon lenses.

Edit: I have never seen a bad Rikenon prime. Hoever, while I expect this to be a good lens, I doubt it will be on par with the A* 300/2.8.

Last edited by Blue; 10-20-2011 at 07:49 AM.
10-20-2011, 07:55 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
This lens will work like an A series Pentax lens.
I didn't see the contacts in the pictures. Did I just miss them? Edit: Oh I see a green A on the aperture ring, and the contacts now.

you may have to deal with the "ricoh pin" but that is no big deal
I can see the Ricoh pin in the image. You will have to open the rear assembly and remove the ricoh pin, or it'll get glued to your Pentax. It's not hard, but it is there.

Hoever, while I expect this to be a good lens, I doubt it will be on par with the A* 300/2.8.
100% agreed. It's hard to beat the good Pentax glass; and I doubt anyone would have made a rubbish 300/2.8 lens. Hopefully someone can chime in with comments on this model or a similar model.

QuoteOriginally posted by altovintner Quote
I suppose the biggee question is just how much it would go for.
My total shot in the dark guess is $1153.42

Last edited by Clinton; 10-20-2011 at 08:02 AM.
10-20-2011, 07:57 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This lens is definitely a Tokina design rebadged as a Rikenon.
10-20-2011, 08:08 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
This lens is definitely a Tokina design rebadged as a Rikenon.
Agreed. Like all Tokina KA-mount lenses of that era, it doesn't have a Ricoh "pin" but a rounded Ricoh contact which doesn't interfere with the AF drive location on the modern KAF mounts (so it maintains dual compatibility with both Ricoh P and Pentax KA). The only different I can see between that lens and the standard Tokina AT-X 300 f/2.8 is that Ricoh added their name to it. This lens shows up periodically here and on ebay, one sold here not too long ago:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/sold-items/155421-sale-sold-tokina-x-300m...e-box-etc.html

10-20-2011, 08:24 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Folks: thanks to each of you who have posted so far.

I currently have the DA55-300 kit lens that I use for taking bird pics. I find that it is best at a max. of about 250mm in the F8 +/- area. Given my shooting habits, I need a better 300mm (or perhaps a 400mm...) lens. Hence, I am trying to save my pennies to get a new one.

Seems, based on what you guys are saying, that I might be advised to watch for the lenses like the A 300mm f2.8 offerings. I have seen two on the marketplace from European sellers, and I noticed that two are on Ebay, the lowest price of which is aboiut $2,500. But that is above my budget for now.
10-20-2011, 09:20 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Seems, based on what you guys are saying, that I might be advised to watch for the lenses like the A 300mm f2.8 offerings. I have seen two on the marketplace from European sellers, and I noticed that two are on Ebay, the lowest price of which is aboiut $2,500. But that is above my budget for now.
Nah, in that case, it sounds like this lens might be right up your alley. I have little doubt this will vastly outperform your current 300. At a total stab in the dark, it might not outperform the DA* 300 @ F4. You'll also be able to sell it for whatever you buy it for, so unless the DA* is on your radar, I'd say take a stab at it.

At the very least, it's probably worth throwing a low bid on when it comes close to the auction close.

In the meantime, I hope someone who has used the tokina will throw in some comments, as anything else is really just shots in the dark.
10-20-2011, 09:55 AM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
Nah, in that case, it sounds like this lens might be right up your alley. I have little doubt this will vastly outperform your current 300. At a total stab in the dark, it might not outperform the DA* 300 @ F4. You'll also be able to sell it for whatever you buy it for, so unless the DA* is on your radar, I'd say take a stab at it.

At the very least, it's probably worth throwing a low bid on when it comes close to the auction close.

In the meantime, I hope someone who has used the tokina will throw in some comments, as anything else is really just shots in the dark.

I agree with Clinton on this!
10-20-2011, 10:41 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hello Clinton and Blue. I appreciate your insight. Will have to think about bidding on the lens.

Regards.
10-20-2011, 10:44 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Folks: thanks to each of you who have posted so far.

I currently have the DA55-300 kit lens that I use for taking bird pics. I find that it is best at a max. of about 250mm in the F8 +/- area. Given my shooting habits, I need a better 300mm (or perhaps a 400mm...) lens. Hence, I am trying to save my pennies to get a new one.

How about an A*300mm f/4? It's small and inexpensive, with super resolution. MF of course, but auto aperture. They sell for +/- $600. Works well with a 1.4X TC too, or add a Pentax 1.7X for auto-focus. Unfortunately the 1.7X costs almost as much as the lens.
10-20-2011, 11:44 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
How about an A*300mm f/4? It's small and inexpensive, with super resolution. MF of course, but auto aperture. They sell for +/- $600. Works well with a 1.4X TC too, or add a Pentax 1.7X for auto-focus. Unfortunately the 1.7X costs almost as much as the lens.
Hello audiobomber. Thanks for your suggestion. I have been watching a few 300mm f4's on Ebay lately. But, this insidious LBA affliction has me lusting for a 2.8. Need one? No. Want one? Yes.
10-20-2011, 11:58 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Hmmmm... it's mint, it's rare, and it's a fast & long lens. I expect a "reserve" of $1000 and some goofy collector to pay north of $1500 for it, then never mount it to anything. Should be fun to watch, but I doubt anyone will be sniping it for $900.

Starts to make the DA*300 seem like a bargain, doesn't it?

EDIT: was totally off-base on the final selling price ($760), but that was after the reserve wasn't met and it came back on BIN. Explains why I have bad luck playing the market...

Last edited by panoguy; 10-24-2011 at 08:19 AM.
10-20-2011, 01:34 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I was watching one of these on ebay a little while ago, went for 719.00. I was almost about to buy it, but didn't.

eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d?r