Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lens reviews by forum members

We have several good sites regarding lenses such as:

Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount page
http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/

and

Stan's Pentax Photography page
http://stans-photography.info/

Bojidar's site contains a lot of objective facts and is a key reference site for me, whereas Stan's site contains subjective user opinions telling us how the lenses perform in practice.

Unfortunately, Stan's page is not being updated, and I therefore propose that we use this forum as a continuation of Stan's site.

Let's start one thread per lens, and post our experience and some photos taken with that lens.

Anybody should feel free to start a thread about a lens you own, use, hate or love, and to add posts to other folk's threads.

For my part I'll start out with the 17-28mm fisheye zoom.

09-15-2006, 07:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Another section?

Hi Ole

Good idea but I am just wondering if it will be a good idea (assuming it is feasible) to have a completely separate section for it? Chances are the threads will get buried among other lens discussions sooner or later. But if say we have a section called "Lens Review and Samples" and restrict the posts to user reviews of the lens and measurbations (is that how you spell it?) then it will make looking for a lens info much easier.

But then again, it might split SLR Lens into two discussion groups...

Kenny
09-15-2006, 07:21 PM   #3
Ole
Administrator

Original Poster
I agree, the threads would probably get burried over time.
On the other hand the site search function is pretty good.
Let's see what the Webmaster has to say!

Last edited by Ole; 09-15-2006 at 07:24 PM. Reason: clarification
09-16-2006, 12:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I agree a "Lens Review" section with ONE thread per lens with just user reviews (and no other threads/discussions) would be nice...

Adam what do you think?

09-16-2006, 01:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

That is a good idea, a good forum site for layout ideas is The Digital Camera Resource Page. It is a HUGE site, almost too big but the forums are good.
09-18-2006, 06:48 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I like the idea of a separate section for lens reviews & comments. One thread per lens is important. Perhaps it could have a grading poll at the top as well.

To keep the one thread per lens rule working, you may have to define the format for the lens definition. Such as :
mfg/model/FL/f/AF
For example:
Pentax/FA Macro/100mm/2.8/AF
or
Sigma/APO Macro/400mm/5.6/MF

Just a suggestion.
09-18-2006, 05:12 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'll gladly help out with some reviews- expect a few threads by me from time to time.

My reviews will include basic specs, the pros and the cons, and maybe a few sample shots.

You're right- one thread per lens is improtant. If we get enough of these, I can start a separate sub-forum to which I'll move all the threads

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-19-2006, 02:55 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Hmm.. Another thing is do we allow people to post questions within the lens review threads? Or it should just be strictly user reviews?
09-19-2006, 03:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Wonderful ideas!

Hi Ole!

The idea of a separate thread for each lens with a standard format and a poll at the top are fantastic ideas! I read your 17-28mm post and this is the type of information that would be very useful. Can you add the poll after thread is started or is that something that has to be done at the thread creation time?
09-19-2006, 04:46 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I agree...it would be a great idea.
09-20-2006, 04:58 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Scott Rylance Quote
I agree...it would be a great idea.
I totally agree,
and also humbly sugest a forum decicated to this purpose alone.

Fototim
09-20-2006, 05:00 PM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'll add once one we accumulate at least 20 unique reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: