Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2011, 06:45 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Finally a sample photo:

EDIT:

Here you have comparison shots with a whole bunch of K mount lenses from the same occasion, including the M40 pancake and the Rikenon 45mm pancake, the 43ltd, A*138 and more (yes, this guy have a nice lens collection).

11-02-2011, 09:22 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
But I have a favorite cache of tiny ultralight lenses, always in my carry bag: Enna Tele-Sandmar 100/4.5 (110g, 10 iris blades)
Is there a Tele-Sandmar available for Pentax, or is this something you modified? I've seen these all over the place for Argus C-3 "Bricks," but have never seen any for Pentax.

Thanks!

Also, it's a bit longer than your 30mm cut-off, but I have a Vivitar Pre-set 35mm f3.5 that is positively tiny. The majority of the Vivitar 35mm f3.5's I see are much larger. This one's Serial No. starts with a 6, which is Olympus made, IIRC. It's got a very distinctive look to it...a good amount of spherical aberration wide open. This shot shows it off a little bit:

I'll try to weigh it on lunch. I can also grab a picture of the lens (and the more common 35mm f3.5 as well) if you'd like.

ETA: Just checked the weight...with the T-mount adapter, it clocks in at 181 grams...so a bit heavier than I thought. Sorry about that!

Chris

Last edited by GhoSStrider; 11-02-2011 at 09:53 AM.
11-02-2011, 10:53 AM - 1 Like   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GhoSStrider Quote
Is there a Tele-Sandmar available for Pentax, or is this something you modified? I've seen these all over the place for Argus C-3 "Bricks," but have never seen any for Pentax.
AFAIK all the Argus rangefinders have a register of around 33mm, much shorter than the Pentax 45.45mm. But the Tele-Sandmar is very very easy to adapt to PK mount with infinity focus.

1) Cut a ~41mm hole in the middle of a one-buck PK body cap.
2) Use contact cement to glue the cap over the larger rear ring.

That's all there is! The rear element extends about 1mm past the body-cap's base, allowing plenty of clearance for the mirror. This black body cap (not the thin white one supplied by Pentax) is about 13mm thick. Positioning the lens thusly, subtracts that register difference and allows infinity focus.

QuoteQuote:
Also, it's a bit longer than your 30mm cut-off, but I have a Vivitar Pre-set 35mm f3.5 that is positively tiny. The majority of the Vivitar 35mm f3.5's I see are much larger. This one's Serial No. starts with a 6, which is Olympus made, IIRC. It's got a very distinctive look to it...a good amount of spherical aberration wide open. This shot shows it off a little bit:
No image there, but I believe you anyway. That sounds real interesting! And better than my Loreo 35mm f/11 PC-shift lens-in-a-cap (30g). EDIT: Oops, that does sound too heavy. Thanks for checking.

I've another Enna Sandmar for Argus, the 35/4.5 (60g), supposed to have a 'funky' look, whatever that means. It is trickier to adapt than is the 100/4.5. Can't use a PK body cap -- too thick. Maybe an M42 body cap? Or I could do it with a 42mm-Series6 step ring -- I have to look for one. And that should work for a Tele-Sandmar too. And maybe also the Cintar 50/3.5. Hmmm...

Aesthetic qualm: I have two Tele-Sandmar 100s and one Sandmar 35. The Tele that I adapted was a bit beat-looking, so glue doesn't disfigure it too much. My others are collectible-quality, with complete cases+caps+hoods+etc all shining and clean. I'd hate to muck-up the 35. I need to find a cheap beat copy. Yet another quest.

But an ultralight in the 24-30mm range is still my goal. Off to fantasyland...

Last edited by RioRico; 11-02-2011 at 10:59 AM.
11-02-2011, 02:10 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Cool! Thanks for the info re: the tele-sandmar. Good luck with your 28mm hunt!

By the bye, do you have any pics from the Tele-Sandmar?

11-02-2011, 03:41 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GhoSStrider Quote
By the bye, do you have any pics from the Tele-Sandmar?
I'm having one of my recurrent system problems: my IMAGES drive won't power up. I don't know if it's the flaky USB interface with my flaky HP computer, or an actual problem with the drive box. I'm not suicidally depressed; it's a RAID-1 system so everything is safe on two physical discs. And it's done this before, and come back online spontaneously. Otherwise I'll have to wait till I'm somewhere interesting (maybe if it snows here tomorrow) and snap a few and post them in a virgin state. We'll see.
12-17-2011, 11:27 AM   #36

Photos: Gallery | Albums
RioRico, you mentioned having an Argus, I'm guessing not from an Argus C3 as that is so small and seemingly hard to mount on a Pentax. But you have such an "exotic" collection that you must have every kind of adapter made, perhaps some home made ones as well ?
12-17-2011, 11:43 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jaytee Quote
RioRico, you mentioned having an Argus, I'm guessing not from an Argus C3 as that is so small and seemingly hard to mount on a Pentax. But you have such an "exotic" collection that you must have every kind of adapter made, perhaps some home made ones as well ?
Yes, Argus C3, THE BRICK! The 50mm Cintagon does not seem adaptable. The Ennas (35mm Sandmar, 100mm Tele-Sandmar) and the Steinheil (100mm Cintagon) are a different story. I *think* I can non-destructively adapt the Enna Sandmar 35/4.5, and maybe the Steinheil, by gluing a 42mm-Series6 stepdown ring to the lens' rear ring. I *have* adapted the Enna Tele-Sandmar 100/4.5 and it goes with me everywhere. To adapt: 1) Cut a ~41mm hole in a one-buck black PK body cap. 2) Glue the cap over the lens' rear ring. I mentioned this earlier.

I have a very few manufactured lens adapters (well, lots of M42-PK and M39-PK and M39-M42 rings) because most other mounts aren't readily adaptable. Mostly I homebrew. As with the Tele-Sandmar, body caps can serve as mounts for many lenses, especially enlarger-projector-copy lenses. Exakta mount is easily adapted: 1) Remove and save the lens' index screw; 2) Glue an M39-M42 ring around the bayonet; 3) Grind (sandpaper) about 0.6mm from a clone M42-PK adapter for infinity focus, or just use a PK-M42 adapter as-is for closeup-only work.

[ DEFINITIONS. Adapt: Fit the lens to something. Modify: Chop the lens. ]

Some mounts are easily modified. Some early Nikon F-mounts need no work; they just press-fit onto a PK mount. Some require that the "nub and arc" on the aperture ring be cut off. Olympus OM and Contax-Yashica C/Y lens bayonets are slightly too thick to fit under PK mount lugs, so I taper those bayonet blades slightly. For Petri bayonets, remove the bayonet and glue on a clone M42-PK adapter. I'm still trying to figure out how to mod a Pentacon bayonet. I've given up on X-Fujinon, Minolta, Canon mounts.

But I digress. My next post will be back on-topic.

Last edited by RioRico; 12-17-2011 at 12:19 PM.
12-17-2011, 12:16 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Bump.

Life is good. My eBay sales are going well. I'm not totally broke now. Hopefully I'll have maybe US$350 effectivo in a couple days. About US$100 of that is reserved for US$60 was spent on an M42 focusing helicoid -- I still must decide exactly which one. Maybe US$50 will go for a couple cheap lenses if I'm lucky with current bidding. The rest of it (or as little as possible) can go towards reviving my search for a wide-normal prime around 120g or less.

The hot candidates suggested previously are a rare Vivitar VMC 28/2.8 (120g) and an even rarer XR Rikenon Aspheric 28/3.5 (60g). Yeah, good luck. I can make-do with my M28/2.8 (150g) but smaller is better. Too bad there apparently aren't any 24-25mm pancakes. Of course I lust a bit for the DA21Ltd but 1) it's out of my price range, even used, 2) I think it's too heavy, and 3) it won't do on the upcoming Pentax FF EVIL.

So, does anyone have any fresh ideas for affordable (under US$200 US$250) pancake / ultralight lens in the 20-30mm range? And 21-25mm would be even better. Yeah, right. Spherical distortion is not a deal-killer. Weird character is a plus. Thanks!

EDIT: I just bought a helicoid for under US$60 (prices haver dropped over the last few months) so my 'affordable' budget is now more like US$250. Whew!

Last edited by RioRico; 12-17-2011 at 02:10 PM.
12-17-2011, 12:27 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Bump.

it won't do on the upcoming Pentax FF EVIL.

!
Rumour Monger it's the Pentax FF GXR right
12-17-2011, 12:51 PM   #40

Thanks for the info, I would never have thought to try those things but I may give it a try just for fun. My Argus has a Cintar 50mm 3.5 maybe I'll experiment with it. I recently bought a Kotaishi 28 mm 2.8 on ebay for $10.00, I couldn't find any info on it, but figured I could afford ten bucks. It has the "A" button, just like the" Pentax A 28 " that was stolen last year from me. It also says KAX on it whatever that means. It's about the same size as my "A 50 1.4" but weighs more, even though it has a cheaper build, so not what you are looking for. Besides I haven't tried it out yet, so it may be no good anyway.

Last edited by jaytee; 12-17-2011 at 12:56 PM. Reason: typo
12-17-2011, 01:32 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jaytee Quote
I would never have thought to try those things but I may give it a try just for fun. My Argus has a Cintar 50mm 3.5 maybe I'll experiment with it.
Thanks for thinking about the 28. Alas, the Cintar 50 isn't really suitable for body-cap or step-ring adaptation because of its focusing mechanism. Argus designed a very clever and rugged RF interface -- much too clever for the likes of me. The Enna (C3) and Steinheil (C33) lenses for Argus have body extrusions that a ring or cap can be glued to, but the Cintar 50 doesn't. Oh bother.

EDIT: I just bought a helicoid for under US$60 (prices haver dropped over the last few months) so my 'affordable' budget is now more like US$250. Whew! Suggestions are welcome.

Last edited by RioRico; 12-17-2011 at 02:12 PM.