Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2011, 12:52 PM   #1

Need help to ID this 28mm

Received this old lens attached to a Pentax ME Super body. Went to go look it up on the lens database and don't know where to look. It doesn't say "Pentax" on it. Any ideas? It's a 28mm f2.8. A bit dented, but I'm hoping to "play" with it on my K-x. Thanks!

Attached Images

11-03-2011, 01:02 PM   #2
Pentaxian

"Focal" is the brand-name. Generic brand -- someone said they were sold at K-mart.
11-03-2011, 01:12 PM   #3

Original Poster
Ok, so the obvious was the obvious. Just never heard of "focal." Thanks!
11-03-2011, 01:13 PM   #4

Original Poster
What do you know about "Five Star" brand? He also gave me a 500mm f8.
updated: Nevermind, found the review here.

Last edited by depths&heights; 11-03-2011 at 01:21 PM.
11-03-2011, 01:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Focal (Kmart) like Sears, Vivitar, Porst and other retailers and distributors, sold lenses from many makers under their brands. I have not yet run into a 'bad' Focal or Sears lens nor SLR, many made by Ricoh. I have a Focal 135/2.8 with a serial number of K85117837, not far from yours. I attribute it to Ricoh and assume is was made in 1985. Our Focals are KAR-mount with an AP position on the aperture ring. They have the harmless "Ricoh button" on the base, not the troublesome "Ricoh pin". They work just like any A-type lens on our dSLRs. Yours should be a pretty decent lens.

Toyo / TOU (Toyo Optics USA) Five-Star are a discount brand. I've read that they're made by Sun Optics but don't know if it's true. Toyo the SLR lens brand isn't related to Toyo the view-camera maker AFAIK. I have had a few Toyos and have found no reason to throw them out (I did sell a duplicate). Is your 500/8 a mirror lens? EDIT: I just read your link. Ah, it's one of those old long-tube teles! Cheap, and worth every centavo! Such a lens is very handy for smacking attacking dogs and making cops nervous. Don't take it to a political demonstration or other crowd scene.

Last edited by RioRico; 11-03-2011 at 01:43 PM.
11-04-2011, 07:59 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Focal (Kmart) like Sears, Vivitar, Porst and other retailers and distributors, sold lenses from many makers under their brands. I have not yet run into a 'bad' Focal or Sears lens nor SLR, many made by Ricoh. I have a Focal 135/2.8 with a serial number of K85117837, not far from yours. I attribute it to Ricoh and assume is was made in 1985. Our Focals are KAR-mount with an AP position on the aperture ring. They have the harmless "Ricoh button" on the base, not the troublesome "Ricoh pin". They work just like any A-type lens on our dSLRs. Yours should be a pretty decent lens.

Toyo / TOU (Toyo Optics USA) Five-Star are a discount brand. I've read that they're made by Sun Optics but don't know if it's true. Toyo the SLR lens brand isn't related to Toyo the view-camera maker AFAIK. I have had a few Toyos and have found no reason to throw them out (I did sell a duplicate). Is your 500/8 a mirror lens? EDIT: I just read your link. Ah, it's one of those old long-tube teles! Cheap, and worth every centavo! Such a lens is very handy for smacking attacking dogs and making cops nervous. Don't take it to a political demonstration or other crowd scene.
I have a couple of Japanese made Focal lenses, (28mm & 135mm) that I bought new from K-mart around 1984 that are like M lenses or maybe k lenses. Sears lenses on the other hand that have the A settings seem to be made mostly in Korea. Since the Focal came out with A type lenses, this leads me to believe what I long suspected and that is Focal was made by different makers than Sears lenses at least after they got the A type.
11-04-2011, 12:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I have a couple of Japanese made Focal lenses, (28mm & 135mm) that I bought new from K-mart around 1984 that are like M lenses or maybe k lenses. Sears lenses on the other hand that have the A settings seem to be made mostly in Korea. Since the Focal came out with A type lenses, this leads me to believe what I long suspected and that is Focal was made by different makers than Sears lenses at least after they got the A type.
The Korean-made Sears lenses I've had were mostly Samyang zooms, identical to Albinar zooms, in KAR and M42; and one Korean-made KAR Sears 135 prime. My Focal lenses include Japanese-made M42 and KAR but I've seen at least one Korean-made zoom identical to those I just mentioned. We know that Ricoh made bodies in both M42 and KAR for both Sears and Focal; maybe JC Penny too, but I haven't had a close look at those. I know that some Sears lenses were made by Tomioka, Tokina, Chinon, Cosina and Ricoh, and some Focals by Makinon and Ricoh. They're a mixed lot, but usually of quite decent quality.

Last edited by RioRico; 11-04-2011 at 12:51 PM.
11-06-2011, 01:14 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Ugh - just found out the hard way that mine has the pin... praise God the hubs was able to remove with AF switched on + brute force. I liked the images it produced though. I haven't shot with a prime or one with such a low aperture. Nice background blur. Now to remove that pin...
11-06-2011, 01:47 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by depths&heights Quote
Ugh - just found out the hard way that mine has the pin... praise God the hubs was able to remove with AF switched on + brute force. I liked the images it produced though. I haven't shot with a prime or one with such a low aperture. Nice background blur. Now to remove that pin...
Duh, OK, that's another datum for my leaky brain. [Note to self: Some Focals DO have the Ricoh pin.] I just hadn't run into it. Good thing you freed the lens without too much trauma. Good luck!
11-06-2011, 02:55 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have that focal 28 lens.
I removed the pin before mounting it as it was not the smooth button type.
It is a sweet lens and works nice for video on my k-x and k-5.
11-06-2011, 03:45 PM   #11
Veteran Member

When I saw the 'K' serial number I thought it looked familiar, and it is. It's just about identical to my Clubman 24mm f2.8 macro Canon FD lens which has a K serial number. Its a lens that I would never part with and was lucky enough to have been given.

'Clubman' is a store brand, but the lens is an 'Elsinor' lens, mine is 100% the same as the Elsinor except for the name ring. Your lens is the same style and engraving, I'd be confident in it being Elsinor. And the Elsinor lenses are very respected.
But who actually made Elsinor ?

Mystery lens (Ensinor 24/2.8 macro)

Cimko is the most common name bandied about, but it's nothing like the 135mm 'Super Paragon' that I have that I'm very confident is Cimko, but the 135 is a lot newer so that might be the cause of the style change ?

Straighten that ring carefully, and enjoy it. I think you've got a very nice lens.
07-18-2013, 08:24 AM   #12

Ozone Optical.