Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
12-22-2011, 03:10 PM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
And LBA has become pathological when you name your pets or kids Domiplan, Westron, Lydith, Ektar, Tessar, Zenitar, Sandmar, Primagon, Helioplan, Oreston, X-Fujinon, Trioplan, Cintagon, Telemegor etc
It can't be any worse than some of the shockers out there these days....

12-22-2011, 03:48 PM   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And LBA has become pathological when you name your pets or kids Domiplan, Westron, Lydith, Ektar, Tessar, Zenitar, Sandmar, Primagon, Helioplan, Oreston, X-Fujinon, Trioplan, Cintagon, Telemegor etc
You know LBA has gotten out of control when you can name all those brands from memory........
12-22-2011, 07:51 PM   #93
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
LOL, all those "extra" Yashica lenses I've got. I've thought about adapting them for Pentax many times even though that would be quite beyond me. I can't afford to pay the people who can do it to do it either, not at $50 a pop. Might as well buy new lenses in the right mount for that. I sometimes which I had more of a MacGyver gene than I clearly possess...
If they're C/Y mount, modding is extremely easy. All you need is a Dremel metal-cutting blade. Taper the lens bayonets so they fit under the PK mount lugs. Maybe cut a slot for the locking pin to engage. Takes me 5 minutes each, including setup and takedown.
12-22-2011, 09:48 PM   #94
Pentaxian

If they're C/Y mount, modding is extremely easy. All you need is a Dremel metal-cutting blade. Taper the lens bayonets so they fit under the PK mount lugs. Maybe cut a slot for the locking pin to engage. Takes me 5 minutes each, including setup and takedown.
Do you have any pictures of the operation?

12-22-2011, 10:02 PM   #95
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
Do you have any pictures of the operation?
Aarghh, I know I posted some over a year ago and they're around somewhere, but damn if I know where. Some thread about modding C/Y and OM lenses. If you get a cheap PK macro set and stick an candidate lens into the mount section, you'll see exactly where to apply the Dremel to taper the bayonet. Shave them about 10mm, don't cut into the throat, etc. It's pretty obvious when you see it.
12-22-2011, 10:54 PM   #96

I love you people. I start thinking I've got a problem when I'm perusing "the bay" at work, and when I'm home, and anywhere else on my phone, and then I come back to this thread, and realize that I must have an insane amount of self control, since I've had this LBA since June when I got my first DSLR (K200D), and have only acquired 7 lenses beyond the kit lens. Yes, I do have LBA, as I can check off all but the "qty" items, but somehow I keep it generally in check.

However, I'm giving my gf a freshly Eric CLA'd MX Super with a "Kitstar" (I think Makinon) 28 2.8, M50 2, and Sears 135 2.8 that just arrived today. Pitty i'm giving it to her tomorrow, as I really, really want to play with this 135 some more - it's the first 135 i've had my hands on. *sigh.* Maybe I'll tell her it's still on the way
12-22-2011, 11:25 PM   #97
Veteran Member

They are, and I'm way impressed here, smile, but you might as well be speaking gibberish for all the good that will do me unfortunately. I'm just not that good with dremel cutting and such. A lens mod like that is way beyond me. I managed to fix a sticky aperture ring once but so far that's about it. My shop skills are rather limited. I know how to use a screwdriver but a dremel, I don't. I've seen pics of them being done but I just don't think I could do it.

http://leitax.com/conversion/contax/Planar_8514/index.html

This what I saw. It's for a Zeiss, but it's C/Y. (Contax and Yashica share a camera mount and there are some cameras that are very close in design that say either.) The Yashica lenses I have are pretty good actually particularly the couple of ML series ones. Even the DSB series which were considered their bargain lenses are not all that bad. They're not quite Takumar sharp but still I think they're worth having. They're mostly affordable too because for some reason anything that's not Zeiss related isn't really in demand. If you can do mods on these it's worth looking around for the ML series ones IMHO.

The Zeiss lenses they made in C/Y are supposed to be phenomenal but they're too expensive for my wallet. Next to Pentax I think I like Yashica gear the best. Using my FRI is a lot like using a Spottie actually. It's a very comfortable camera. I started out with an FX2 and I still like that one but the FRI I have kicks serious arse. I will never give it up. I just absolutely love that camera.

Last edited by magkelly; 12-22-2011 at 11:38 PM.
12-23-2011, 01:32 AM   #98
Veteran Member

If they're C/Y mount, modding is extremely easy. All you need is a Dremel metal-cutting blade. Taper the lens bayonets so they fit under the PK mount lugs. Maybe cut a slot for the locking pin to engage. Takes me 5 minutes each, including setup and takedown
It depends on the condition of the lens. You might not want to chop up the mount if the lens is mint or as-new condition, or if you pay 2000usd for it ;-) regarding resell the lens later. I have trained my hands on several nikkors, but now find a reversible approach for my as-new items. I also got a leitax mount to play with.

I enjoyed every moment of LBA. Maybe not all lenses give me the same kick - 10usd for a low end vivitar zoom is too much, while 80 usd for a makinon 400/6.3 is worth a try.

wolfiegirl, additional item(s) in your list:
... when you buy the nex5n with evf, and ordered 8 adapters without hesitate, and keep telling yourself that spending as much money are good buys.
... when you already have the nex5n with evf and still looking for the nex7.
... when you also purchase nex AF lenses, both prime and zooms, and tell yourself that these are actually very good for travelling.
... when you also ordered several more adapters with the mount you DON't have any lens to use with, but keep telling yourself that you will be needed them very soon.

I haven't come so far that i ordered the adapters for the mount i DON't have... yet.

The only thing I wish is to have tiny tiny fingers for the tiny buttons. These buttons and the wheel just drive me crazy. I dont think they are designed for human hands.
The nex will save me many hours mod, and the lenses still in original shape.
Hopefully, the tilt adapters will bring my skill to the next level.

Last edited by hoanpham; 12-23-2011 at 02:56 AM.
12-23-2011, 05:27 AM   #99
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks for the extras hoan pham. will add.

magkelly - i started on this forum asking about a yashica lens to mod. riorico gave me heaps of advice, but like you, i'm just not brave enough to touch the dremel. i decided that it was safer just to sell it and get my money back. it's still sitting in my local classifieds waiting for an interested buyer.
12-23-2011, 06:42 AM   #100
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
.... it's still sitting in my local classifieds waiting for an interested buyer.
There should be a fair change of getting something like that sold due to the Sony NEX and the micro four thirds cameras (Panasonic, Olympus) having inexpensive adapters for most old lens mounts (including C/Y). The smallish register distance (*) of these new cameras allows for simple mechanical adapters restoring the original RD. As you probably know, this sort of thing has some serious LBA potential (an oft used acronym for these cameras is EVIL ... ).

(*) ~20mm for the u43, even a bit shorter for the NEX I understand

Last edited by jolepp; 12-23-2011 at 09:45 AM. Reason: typo
12-23-2011, 09:35 AM   #101
Veteran Member

thanks for the extras hoan pham. will add.

magkelly - i started on this forum asking about a yashica lens to mod. riorico gave me heaps of advice, but like you, i'm just not brave enough to touch the dremel. i decided that it was safer just to sell it and get my money back. it's still sitting in my local classifieds waiting for an interested buyer.
You may have better luck in posting in PentaxForum marketplace and pitch in for NEX/MFT/NX for MFT and mirror-less cameras. There are adapters from C/Y to various mounts. And you can look up C/Y adapters to other mounts in eBay and that can help you with where to pitch in the sale. I never manage to join fredmiranda buy & sell and there are many Canikon, Sony and Pentax folks with a 2nd or 3rd MFT/NEX camera.

Sometimes, the saddest truth in LBA that serves me as a good reminder stick is that it takes me less than a minute for the purchase but it will take weeks if not months to find a respective buyer.

I like to think I wise up a bit but my wishful thinking in trying out something different and unique always get me off-guard.

QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
...As you probably know, sort of thing has some serious LBA potential (an oft used acronym for these cameras is EVIL ... ).

(*) ~20mm for the u43, even a bit shorter for the NEX I understand
I read somewhere that the NEX mount is 18mm in registered distance. I will correct if I find it different. And yes, the Evil plays a bad role in LBA though it opens up possibility of other mounts. The ability to use rangefinder lens such as Leica M, L39/M39 and Contax G in NEX is something that I have never thought of.

Hin

Last edited by hinman; 12-23-2011 at 09:49 AM.
12-23-2011, 10:03 AM   #102
Veteran Member

The only thing that keeps my LBA in check is money and shipping to the other side of the world. I'm getting my 4th box shipped in the next week or two and I think I've used up all of my favors for the next decade. In total I've purchased about 20 lenses (maybe more), a body and a mountain of accessories this way.

Tbh my wish list is down to a few expensive ltd's (up to 2 currently), a tamron 28-75, faster telephotos that I already don't use and a K5. Well maybe a M20, M85, helios 58mm, samsung MILC + 30mm pancake and a lighting setup. Maybe a bigger tripod. And I forgot about a versatile 100mm macro (M100 or DFA 100) to complete my 3 lens travel kit (DA15/40 and 100macro). And a K28f2...

Yep, I'm pretty much cured...
12-23-2011, 10:12 AM   #103
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You Know You Have LBA When...

You can happily peruse your vast collection and gloat in the knowledge that NO OTHER human on the face of the earth has such a perfectly well-matched set of gear. Nobody.
While your bank account may be slightly(!?) depleted, you have spent the money wisely. Premium optics rarely loose their value, in fact they normally increase in price. You have valuable assets in a compact and portable package.
Not only do they represent a great investment, but they are USEFUL. You can (and do) take photos with these lenses, and the results are priceless. They provide you with a different viewpoint, background, field of view, depth of field or rendition than any other lenses.
Instead of sitting idle like gold or diamonds, these lenses are tools of your trade (or hobby) and can easily be considered necessary expenditures.
I say once again, LBA is a source of joy, contentment, calmness and peace of mind. Many documented medical studies have shown that LBA is one of the few paths to true enlightment and has produced hundreds of great leaders, brilliant minds and pure souls in the recent past. You are the envy of the world and no one can ever accuse you of being "sick" or "crazy".
Nobody.
Please see my receptionist on the way out, and don't forget our appointment next week.
Thank you,
Dr. Ron, LBA, NFL, DJ, CBA, LOL.
12-23-2011, 02:34 PM   #104
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
You can happily peruse your vast collection and gloat in the knowledge that NO OTHER human on the face of the earth has such a perfectly well-matched set of gear. Nobody.
While your bank account may be slightly(!?) depleted, you have spent the money wisely. Premium optics rarely loose their value, in fact they normally increase in price. You have valuable assets in a compact and portable package.
Not only do they represent a great investment, but they are USEFUL. You can (and do) take photos with these lenses, and the results are priceless. They provide you with a different viewpoint, background, field of view, depth of field or rendition than any other lenses.
Instead of sitting idle like gold or diamonds, these lenses are tools of your trade (or hobby) and can easily be considered necessary expenditures.
I say once again, LBA is a source of joy, contentment, calmness and peace of mind. Many documented medical studies have shown that LBA is one of the few paths to true enlightment and has produced hundreds of great leaders, brilliant minds and pure souls in the recent past. You are the envy of the world and no one can ever accuse you of being "sick" or "crazy".
Nobody.
Please see my receptionist on the way out, and don't forget our appointment next week.
Thank you,
Dr. Ron, LBA, NFL, DJ, CBA, LOL.
LOL. love it! thanks for my first laugh of the morning. will add some of your wise words to the list.

Yes, won't forget my appointment Dr Ron. *straps cameras and lenses back on*

----------

Thanks for the suggestions guys re the yashica. i didn't realise the lens could be used on a NEX. i've made a point of staying away from learning about any other systems. guess that's to my detriment - i need to learn all about the temptations out there in order to help me sell my lba accidents..
12-23-2011, 07:09 PM   #105
Veteran Member

riorico gave me heaps of advice, but like you, i'm just not brave enough to touch the dremel.
My mechanical skills are minimal, really. I peaked about in the early 1960s, building slot cars. Today I can handle a screwdriver, hammer, pliers, dremel, soldering gun, and that's about it. Modding C/Y and OM and NI lenses is really really easy. I fretted for days over the first chop job. After doing a couple, they're down to five minutes each, including setup and cleanup. I don't repair lenses; I just chop'em. Much easier.

No, expensive lenses should not be chopped. Except that my first was a costly one, but I proceeded anyway. Just figure: If you'll keep the lens, chop it. If not, don't. It's not even a matter of: Do you feel lucky?
"There's more than one way to skin a cat!" she mused,
as she pinned its little paws to the dissection table.