Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2012, 09:39 AM   #1

pentax 40 mm or sigma 24-70 mm

Good evening all! I know it is silly to compare zooms and primes, but which lens you would like to have- pentax da 40 mm 2.8 limited or Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 EX DG HSM. Keeping in maind picture quality?
Im kind of stuck in all those leses . ty all

01-04-2012, 10:03 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Primes have better IQ than zooms, so if you want better IQ, get the prime.

But here it's like comparing apples to oranges- one lens is an ultra-compact prime while the other is a handy, high-quality walkaround zoom. Each has its place

If you want my honest opinion, the DA40mm is too small for everyday use- so unless you've got a good reason for not carrying around the extra weight/size, I'd choose a "normal" lens as a walkaround.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-04-2012, 10:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

If I wanted to crush marmots, I'd go for the Sig in a flash. Especially on my K20D -- nice and heavy, watch the blood splatter, ooh ooh! If I wanted something to slip into a jacket pocket, I'd get a Kr and the 40Ltd. You really are talking oranges vs orangutans here. They're comparable only because they're both lenses -- that's their only similarity. A limited pancake prime vs a heavy consumer zoom? [/me head puffs-up, doesn't quite explode]
01-04-2012, 11:32 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm a newbie and I would go for the 40ltd why? because it's soo small and I love primes the IQ is so wonderful that taking pictures makes me smile and takes the stress away. When I'm gonna go out and take pictures for fun I take my primes with me (I have two so far, the 35mm 2.4 and my M 50 1.7 but this will grow in time, I'm planning to get myself a 40ltd and an FA 1.4) But If I'm gonna be taking pictures of an event or something much more serious I take my zooms with me because of the versatility, Like they say bad IQ is much better than no IQ.

So In the future I would also be buying a BIG sigma 24 -70 f2.8 with a BIG hood and a maybe a k-new#? camera with a battery grip so I would look like those Serious "Pro" Canikon guys at a wedding, but when I'm gonna be out taking picture for myself (probabbly street photog) The grip would be out and the 40 pancake would be in there.

In the end it's gonna be up to you to decide what kind of photography you would be into and then you'll know what lens you "need" to get.

01-04-2012, 11:45 AM   #5

Original Poster
ty all! Can i ask, in IQ will there be a big difference between this two lenses?
01-05-2012, 05:06 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
I have been looking for the 'best zoom' lens. I don't have the sigma or Pentax 40..

I used to have one of the best Nikkor zoom, 24-70 f2.8. However, I can get better image quality (sharper) with Voigtlander 40mm f1.4 prime than the Nikkor zoom at 1/5 the cost under good light.

I have only been using prime lenses since i have sold my Nikkor.

Zoom lens has the convenience of not having to swap lens on occasions like wedding, etc.
If you are after the best IQ and large aperture, go for the prime, preferably the prime with the biggest aperture you can afford. f2.8 is not fast enough indoors but the K5 can compensate with higher ISO. I can always zoom with the 'best zoom'- my legs.

Here is a snapshot taken 2 hours ago- K5 with Sigma f1.4 taken at f2.2 indoor at night..

All the best!
01-08-2012, 02:55 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Skip the 40mm and look at a Sigma 30, FA50 or FA31. DA40 is too slow for a prime.