Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2007, 09:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Thanks A lot Herbert Keppler

So I bought the Jan 2008 ish of Pop Photography, to pass the time while commuting...
so, I came across this Herbert Keppler Article titled "How Fate and a fisheye led me to four Pentax DSLR" (interesting read btw, and a good Pentax pump)

anyway, as the title suggests, he talks about his beloved 17-28mm Fisheye ....

long story short.....

w/ a nice plump bonus, and LBA...I was itching to either get the DA* 16-50 or a Macro...
but after I read that article, I came to a realization...that..I've always wanted a fish eye long before the need for the aforementioned lenses...

so during my lunch break....i went to "look" (yeah, just how I went in just too look at the da* 50-135 a month ago)....at the 10-17 fish..at calumet...suffice to say..this is home w/ me now...

what a sweet lens.....

again..Herbert Keppler..thank you....for reintroducing me to the fish eye....

cant wait this weekend to give my 2 new lenses a work out...

12-28-2007, 06:51 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is a great lens. Really gets a person going creatively. He has written about the lens before. He asked for them to bring out the 10-17 ( with closer focusing than FF model). Sure does give Pentax good publicity. Enjoy.
thanks
barondla
12-28-2007, 07:33 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have the 1970 edition of Keppler's Pentax guide. Good book. Back then he looked like Mongomery Burns though.
12-28-2007, 12:12 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Yeah, he is getting up in age. However, his is the first column I always read when I get my Pop Photography magazine each month.

As for the lens, well, you will have a blast. I just picked one up last week as my Christmas present to myself

12-28-2007, 12:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I love mine, but watch out for the CA.
12-28-2007, 06:09 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Once I actually put pen to paper and wrote to Keppler, questioning a statement he made in a column that contradicted an earlier statement. It was an insignificant mistake, but I wanted to know which fact was right (it was regarding magnifiers.) Rather than ignore my letter or just publish a brief correction, he actually sent a hand-written reply. I had read the guy's articles for 25 years or so, I thought it showed class.
12-29-2007, 05:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Yes, Keppler is a class guy, he's the voice off to the side of the merry marketing machine that goes on... pointing out what's lost with the latest gizmos, or what gizmos we really need instead of the ones we're sold. And that one can get on very well, thank you, with out of fashion equipment and priorities.

And of course he's a Pentaxian in that he appreciates the things that we appreciate.

12-29-2007, 11:42 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I am sure you will love the DA 10-17. It is an amazingly versitile lens, sharp and focuses down amazingly close. Congratulations on your new lenses.
01-03-2008, 07:01 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I'm amazed Herbert Keppler is still writing. I used to read his articles in one of the American photo magazines back in the early 70s when I first got into photography. Good to hear he's still going strong some 35 years later.

And yes, I agree that DA 10-17 is a belter of a lens. Enjoy!