Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2012, 08:33 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Takumar Radiation Anxiety

First post, and why I made an account. I just ordered a 50mm 1.4 smc super takumar and have had anxiety ever since. I've been researching for hours and I basically see 95% it's ok, it won't harm you, 5% it will harm you. So, what should I do/think? Is it harmless? How long should I use it for at a time? Can I not look directly into the lens (when not mounted)? should I keep it in a safe when not it use?

Ugh this is freaking me out. Please help me guys

04-29-2012, 08:37 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've had that lens for about a year now. Strange things are happening in the house. There are spiders everywhere with their webs and they are freaking me out. They are much larger as well, as are the moths, the ants and the mosquitoes. Strange noises from the attic are keeping me awake at night. I am going to sell it.
04-29-2012, 08:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Here is a thread on the issue...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/137774-how-rad...-takumars.html

"Sleeping with such a lens nestled against your body will expose you to less radiation that will eating a banana. "
04-29-2012, 08:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveM Quote
How radioactive are the Super Takumars?
I knew I shouldn't have tried the spider in the jar experiment from that thread!

04-29-2012, 09:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Whatawaytogo Quote
First post, and why I made an account. I just ordered a 50mm 1.4 smc super takumar and have had anxiety ever since. I've been researching for hours and I basically see 95% it's ok, it won't harm you, 5% it will harm you. So, what should I do/think? Is it harmless? How long should I use it for at a time? Can I not look directly into the lens (when not mounted)? should I keep it in a safe when not it use?

Don't Believe anything that the others say! This is radio active and and that is probably why the previous owner is selling it. What can be done about it? Well I have studied the science of this problem and the only solution is to send it to me as fast as you can. I have acquired all the advanced patent pending equipment necessary to handle such dangerous objects Namely the K-7 with its CMOS (radio) active pixel sensor, capable of capturing at 14.6 MP [Million alpha Particles], 5.2 times every second. :evil:

Just kidding, Its harmless. Alpha particles can barley penetrate a piece of paper.
04-29-2012, 09:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
I knew I shouldn't have tried the spider in the jar experiment from that thread!
There is always my thread on the issue....

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/63093-your-tak...dioactive.html

"I think we have all learned a very valuable lesson here.....don't lick your lens clean...especially after eating a banana while wearing a Timex standing under a wasp nest listening to Barry Manilow."
04-29-2012, 09:12 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just send it to me as I already glow in the dark from working at a nuclear power facility for 5 years. I know how to handle it safely. I already have the lead lined gloves and apron along with the de-contamination area all set up.....

04-29-2012, 09:48 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Whatawaytogo Quote
Well, assuming you are not pulling our leg(s)....

Seriously you get more radiation exposure on a day at the beach, or on an airplane flight. I have read that the radiation from a thoriated lens cannot be detected above background levels at a distance of 3 feet. If it is going to freak you out that you won't enjoy the lens then sell it on. But the radiation danger is less than from all the other dangerous things you live with every day: cell phones, microwaves, cell towers, radon gas, computer crts, television screens, living in a house made of masonry, burning coal for heat or power..........
04-29-2012, 09:54 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Don't believe these people, they haven't been through what I have with this lens. Eeeek, there goes another giant spider.
04-29-2012, 10:53 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
If it was giving off any significant radiation it would ruin film. They didn't stop making them because they were dangerous, they stopped because they were expensive to make.

Worst side effect you'll ever see from the thorium in this lens is the yellowing of the glass in the lens, which is easily resolved with a good dose of UV light.
04-30-2012, 02:30 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I don't know about the health effects of the lens, but it surely is addictive. Once you receive it, you will find out that everything about it is to die for.
04-30-2012, 02:41 PM   #12

Should I be worried?

The Takumar I'm about to purchase seems heavily dosed. Should I be worried about using my dog as a monopod with this lens? Normally I steady my shots with the aid of my furry friend and the device I built specially to attach my setup to him, but now it looks like he might get radiated. As dogs might be more prone to radiation sickness, I'm curious whether you all think this is a good decision. (I'm thinking "buy the Takumar")
04-30-2012, 03:40 PM   #13

Introduction of Thorium Oxide into Super Takumar Lenses
http://homepage1.nifty.com/nekocame/camera/atomlens.htm

According to the second link, you could expect ~ 1uSv per hour of exposure. According to the following chart, you expect to get around 10 uSv per day anyway, so the extra exposure is unlikely to cause problems.

http://xkcd.com/radiation/

Last edited by alphanerd; 04-30-2012 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Adding link
04-30-2012, 05:49 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Check this out then find it out from the above chart.

04-30-2012, 06:12 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ultraviolet Quote
Check this out then find it out from the above chart
Oh, now I need to get one of those lenses! I'll store it next to my wife's synchrotron dosimeter and she might get an extra day off each year!