Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2012, 10:56 AM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The ultimate ultra-wide zoom comparison!

Yup, we now have a 5-way in-depth comparison of all current ultra-wide zoom lenses for Pentax, with the exception of the Sigma 8-16mm, which has already been reviewed separately (and is in a different league IMO).

The lenses being compared are:

First you will want to want to read the 3-way review of the Pentax 12-24mm, Tamron 10-24mm, and Sigma 12-24mm:
DA 12-24mm vs Sigma and Tamron 10-24mm Comparison - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

We've just made an addendum with the Sigma 10-20mm's and the bottom line, in which all 5 are rated:
Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 vs F4.0-5.6 - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

Enjoy!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-29-2012, 11:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I'm about to run off for a few hours -- yeah, the real world intrudes -- so TL;DR right now -- so, can you give us a hint? An executive overview?

Last edited by RioRico; 05-29-2012 at 05:22 PM.
05-29-2012, 12:10 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RioRico - a brief conclusion is that your ultrawide zoom, the Tamron 10-24, has slipped to 5th place behind the older Sigma 10-20 (f/4-5.6) model, by a few percentage points (8.5 versus 8.7.) Still, the review notes that the Tamron is sharp when stopped down, and has a wider zoom range on the long end that may be more useful to some people. As these two models are the cheapest ultra-wide zooms available for Pentax and are close in price when bought brand-new ($450 after rebate for Tamron, $479 for Sigma), people may be very interested to see which is "better"-- at least I am! I'm not sure which one to choose, and it may come down to sharpness (Sigma) versus the extra 4mm telephoto (Tamron). Although I'm worried about the QC issues of the Sigma lens, which you have mentioned before made you pick the Tamron model. And I don't even really need this kind of lens because I have the DA15, although I wouldn't mind having some of the zooming convenience. Ah, LBA...
05-29-2012, 01:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QC of sigma lens definately is a issue
as for the review of 8-16, the score of sharpness is pretty low compare to other ultra-wide zooms
but if it is a good copy, the situation should be different.
always test out after you purchase a new lens.

Last edited by liukaitc; 05-29-2012 at 01:08 PM.
05-29-2012, 01:24 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Merde ... my top future wish-list purchase came in 5th ?! C'est la vie ... J
05-29-2012, 02:27 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by liukaitc Quote
as for the review of 8-16, the score of sharpness is pretty low compare to other ultra-wide zooms
Adam's test on the K-x does look bad
compared to the Photozone review of that lens
(Sigma AF 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM (DX) - Review / Lab Test Report - Analysis)
on the Nikon with essentially the K5 sensor.
Looks like a flipped version of the concerns we've been having
with Imatest tests of the FA Limiteds recently
(which were better on the less dense sensor).

QuoteOriginally posted by liukaitc Quote
but if it is a good copy, the situation should be different.
Yes, this may be another case of Sigma's (lack of) QC.
05-29-2012, 05:29 PM   #7
Veteran Member

OK, I'm back, and I'll check the comparisons after the painkillers wear off.

Some of you may have seen this before, but I'll say it again: Xmas before last I had the opportunity to buy any of the UWA zooms I wished, and I chose the Tamron because of range, IQ, price, warranty, and especially Sigma's QC issues. I've seen more than a few posts here talking of needing 2-3-4 returns|exchanges before getting a good Sig. I've talked to pro shooters and sellers who absolutely despise Sigma because of QC. Again, those who get a good copy are happy. I regularly advise that anyone buying ANY of these lenses make sure that the seller has a no-questions return+refund policy. That's only prudent.

Yeah, when my head stops spinning, I'll read that stuff...

05-29-2012, 06:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Glad to see I already own the top value UWA - the Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6
I read the new comparison between the two versions of the Sigma 10-20 .
There really isn't that much difference.

In the sharpness test especially with the chart, your f3.5 seems to have some focus issues . The old version is definitely sharper to me.
Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 vs F4.0-5.6 - Image Quality:Sharpness - PentaxForums.com

For the field test images, yes wide open the 10mm f3.5 is sharper than the old lens at 10mm f4.0 . However the f3.5 picture is really way overexposed, this is not a shot you would actually ever take. Maybe your subject was too bright.
The sky seems too bright in all your HSM lens field shots. I agree with you the new lens overall produced sharper images though.

I now see that you manually focused for the chart with the old lens, but not for the field test. This probably explains why the field tests on the old lens are not as sharp.
It sounds like you have a problem with the AF on the old lens, maybe should have used MF for all shots, or get a replacement.
05-29-2012, 07:00 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Would've been a convenient review... if I didn't already buy my Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 a couple months ago

Totally worth it though
05-29-2012, 07:07 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Adam's test on the K-x does look bad
compared to the Photozone review of that lens
(Sigma AF 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM (DX) - Review / Lab Test Report - Analysis)
on the Nikon with essentially the K5 sensor.
Looks like a flipped version of the concerns we've been having
with Imatest tests of the FA Limiteds recently
(which were better on the less dense sensor).
not just photozone, lenstip also give praise to this lens. they say it is one of the best zoom they ever tested.
Sigma 8-16 mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM review - Summary - Lenstip.com

also I owned this lens for a short period of time, and I did got a bad copy.
when I use auto focus, the img is relative soft, but if I got the focus right manually, it is super sharp.
05-30-2012, 07:49 PM   #11
Veteran Member

My 8-16 absolutely rocks! I got it right after Photozone reviewed it and haven't looked back.

I'd feel lost "only" being able to go to 12mm now! The difference between 8mm and 12mm is startling!
09-04-2014, 04:57 AM   #12

I am so frustrated. I think I really want the sigma 10-20 older version, or possibly he tameron that to me appears almost identical depending what is on sale. But I can't help but want the wr like I have with my pentax lens. From what I understand the range 10-2mm is really sigmas thing with tameron giving them a good run of their money. But neither is wr. From the reviews is appears the pentax are not even close to the sigma. I live the sigma 10-20 club thread and their photos. Part of me thinks this lens must be good if there is a 215 page thread about people who love this lens. It doesn't appeare that any of the other lens have that kind of following. But it's not waterproof... I don't have a late budget and right now the sigma is on sale. Some realistic advise for a guy who is starting out, likes the feel of bothe sigma and tameron but probably prefers the sigma and yet fears the fact they are not wr. Ps it appears that pentax is not only a little behind in this mm range but the ones in this range appeare to be more expensive, way more expensive. Any suggestions , and if not the sigma 10-20 what else is close and wr. Any advise would be appreciated.
09-04-2014, 05:12 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well you can't have a WR ultra-wide zoom, so don't be frustrated: buy the Sigma or the Tamron, if that's what you want.
09-04-2014, 06:45 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nort Quote
I am so frustrated. I think I really want the sigma 10-20 older version, or possibly he tameron that to me appears almost identical depending what is on sale. But I can't help but want the wr like I have with my pentax lens. From what I understand the range 10-2mm is really sigmas thing with tameron giving them a good run of their money. But neither is wr. From the reviews is appears the pentax are not even close to the sigma. I live the sigma 10-20 club thread and their photos. Part of me thinks this lens must be good if there is a 215 page thread about people who love this lens. It doesn't appeare that any of the other lens have that kind of following. But it's not waterproof... I don't have a late budget and right now the sigma is on sale. Some realistic advise for a guy who is starting out, likes the feel of bothe sigma and tameron but probably prefers the sigma and yet fears the fact they are not wr. Ps it appears that pentax is not only a little behind in this mm range but the ones in this range appeare to be more expensive, way more expensive. Any suggestions , and if not the sigma 10-20 what else is close and wr. Any advise would be appreciated.
Just go for the Sigma or Tamron. As of right now, the widest weather sealed lens that Pentax makes is the DA *16-50. If you can find a copy, the best ultra wide is probably the Sigma 8-16mm