Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2008, 06:51 PM   #1

adapting a minolta lens to the K10D

I just purchased my 10D and and have been having an incredible time with it. A friend of mine gave me a Sigma 400mm f5.4 lens autofocus lens with a Minolta mount. I would love to adapt it to the k10d. I know there is an issue with distance to the sensor and losing the ability to focus on infinity when adapting some lenses to some bodies. I am having trouble laying my hands on this information.

Thanks

02-02-2008, 10:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This is one of those times when you will lose infinity focus. I'm not sure if they even make an MD -> anything mount...well I think I've seen EOS but those still lose infinity.
02-02-2008, 11:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Registration Distance:

K-mount 45.46

Minolta MD 43.50

=> No infinity focus. I would say just sell it to fund for your other lenses. At this focal, no infinity focus would mean limited usage.
02-03-2008, 07:18 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks

Thanks for the info.

02-03-2008, 07:55 AM   #5

I actually did this with a Nikon MF macro lens. I had to get the K-mount off of a donor M50/2 lens and run it through a lathe to get it down to the right size to fit on the Nikkor. Then I had to drill out holes because the set-screw locations on the Nikkor didn't match those on the K-mount.

I also had to change the aperature ring because the Nikkor was the type that the aperature ring had an exterior connection to the camera that interfered so it had to be removed.

The end result is a K-mount Nikkor macro lens. It won't focus to infinity but it'll focus even closer than it's supposed to on the near end!! Also the aperature ring has no detents to keep it in a certain stop.... so you have to be careful when setting it.

My suggestion is that if the lens is worth any money at all as it is, then sell it because it's value will be absolutely nothing once you modify it. But if it's of nominal value anyway (as my old Nikkor was) then cut, grind, drill and hack away!!
02-03-2008, 10:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

paden,
Nice work. Many of the Nikon lenses have the diaphram tension spring attached to the inside of the bayonet. If you reattach the spring to the new bayonet, you will have a nice preset lens. If you shim the bayonet flange to increase the height of the flange by 1mm, it will focus at infinity. The PK is 45.5mm and the Nikon is 46.5mm regristration distance. I modified a 2X teleconverter to take Nikon lenses with a new female bayonet on a PK unit. I shimmed the Nikon bayonet by 1mm extra also.

Dave
02-03-2008, 11:02 AM   #7
Veteran Member

grindel,
You should sell it on Ebay. It will fit all of the new Sony Digital SLR's and should bring enough to by a K-mount lens. Do a search for items sold and you will be suprized at now much they are going for.

Dave

02-03-2008, 11:07 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Note: The OP said minolta AF mount...this is the ALPHA mount, not the minolta MD mount.

I wouldn't bet my life that the lens is chip compatible with the AF of minolta DSLR's though. Tread carefully.