Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2008, 12:36 AM   #1

Buttons on FA* 28-70mm f2.8

goodmorning to you all, I just bought an SMC FA* 28-70mm f2.8 and received it already. What a lovely (and bulky lens). A lot of people seem to have a hate/love relation with this lens, which suits me just fine, I like stuff out of the ordinary. But....there are some buttons on the lens for which I haven't found a function yet. There is the switch: AZ/PZ/Mode. I presume AZ is auto zoom, PZ is powerzoom, but what does 'Mode' do? Furthermore, the button doesn't seem to hold in that position...next to the switch there is a round button, which also doesn't seem to trigger anything, not even my ejectable seat : ) ('don't push that button!!'). Can anyone help?

02-12-2008, 05:11 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have some links for you:

Pentax Lens Power Zoom

And a manual of one of the PZ camera's - the only ones up to now that support the extended powerzoom functions. Check on P 78

http://www.pentaximaging.com/files/manual/PZ-1p.pdf

hope this helped.
02-12-2008, 05:46 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's all in the camera manual.

I will describe to you what it can do.

the lens can zoom during exposure, from min to max, to give streaked photos.

the lens can operate in "image size tracking mode" where zoom changes to keep the point of focus the same size.

the lens can snap zoom to return to a preset focal length.

In addition you can use the lens's motor to soom as opposed to manually zooming

the lens also when the camera is powered off, retruns to the minimum lens extension point.

All these functions are in the camera manual because the camera is what provides the functions not the lens, with the exception of the power zoom whuch has a HSM in the lens.

when the K10D came oout, pentax announced they would support power zoom lenses. they have since in writing to me said they have no plans to do so. today all you can do is electrically zoom the lens with a K10D or K100 Super.

the only function I liked was image size tracking, because you could frame a sports shot and the lens zould keep the image the same size, when things moved. It worked well on my PZ-1, except when I put my daughter on a swing. motion needs to be linear.