Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 106 Likes Search this Thread
07-30-2013, 10:48 PM   #181
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LB1103 Quote
There's a K100D in the marketplace that I am thinking of snapping up if it can indeed be used to perform this hack.
I posted the instructions how to activate the K100D debug menu just recently and verified that I could see the required menu entries for loading/saving the lens EEPROM contents and even for editing the lens EEPROM contents directly.

I personally would first save the lens EEPROM (to have a backup) and then use the built in EEPROM contents editor to make the changes. See the the post of this thread where it says "Using the DSLR directly" for the change in line numbers when you go this route. You then don't have to worry about using a suitable editor on your computer or even downloading one just for this purpose.

07-30-2013, 11:43 PM   #182

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I posted the instructions how to activate the K100D debug menu just recently and verified that I could see the required menu entries for loading/saving the lens EEPROM contents and even for editing the lens EEPROM contents directly.

I personally would first save the lens EEPROM (to have a backup) and then use the built in EEPROM contents editor to make the changes. See the the post of this thread where it says "Using the DSLR directly" for the change in line numbers when you go this route. You then don't have to worry about using a suitable editor on your computer or even downloading one just for this purpose.
Thanks so much for the info, hopefully when I get the camera I'll be able to figure this out. I'm looking forward to being able to use AF again.. I have subscribed to this thread so I can easily find it and the valuable info here. Thanks again.
08-11-2013, 05:22 PM   #183

help

All right, I purchased a K100D from the marketplace (thank you MightMike). I am just now (had to work all week and OT yesterday) trying to access the lens eeprom in the debug menu. I have managed thus for to get into the debug menu, then by pressing menu again gain access to "lens eeprom r/w". From there I am a bit confused. Do I scroll down to read, press okay or do I press store first, and finally, how in the world do I save the info? Last, once I manage to save the info, how do I edit it in the camera? I know which lines to edit as I have saved a couple of the files that other users have graciously posted for reference. I'm sorry for being an idiot, but I'm more lost than I thought I would be. Any and all help would be more than greatly appreciated.
08-11-2013, 10:43 PM   #184

Success!!!! My 16-50 is now auto-focusing!!! I could never figure out how to save the original file, though. The lens is working and in my book that's a very good thing.

08-11-2013, 11:43 PM   #185
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Success!!!! My 16-50 is now auto-focusing!!! I could never figure out how to save the original file, though. The lens is working and in my book that's a very good thing.
Is it working with the silent SDM or the noisy screw drive? Unless it is the latter your work is not yet done....
08-11-2013, 11:51 PM   #186

Noisy screw drive, which is sooo much better than no AF.
08-11-2013, 11:58 PM   #187
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Noisy screw drive, which is sooo much better than no AF.
Congratulations, and welcome to the club

08-12-2013, 07:13 AM   #188
Veteran Member

Good stuff!
I find my 50-135mm micro hunts occasionally but like you said better than no auto focus at. Couple of years I am going to get it repaired when I know it will be a better sdm

Cheers

Randy
08-15-2013, 07:50 PM - 1 Like   #189
Inactive Account

I was able to disable the SDM of DA* 16-50mm on my K-x using a PC.
(1) download MODSET.492 from RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: K-x Debug Mode Tutorial - AF Adjustment, put it on the root of your SD card using the PC.
(2) insert SD card into K-x, hold AV+/- button while turn the camera on (release the AV+/- button until the debug menu is brought up).
(3) scroll up or down to Development Menu4, choose 'LENS ROM DAT CAMERA=>SD' to dump LENSEEP.LNS to the SD card. turn off camera, eject the SD card and insert it into your PC.
(4) download the portable version of Notepad++ Notepad++ v6.4.5 - Current Version and unzip it to somewhere.
(5) make a copy of LENSEEP.LNS in case you mess up with anything.
(6) open LENSEEP.LNS in Notepad++, replace those few hexadecimal C0 with 80 (as specified in the original post), and save.
(7) insert the SD card back into the camera, enter Development Menu4 as in (2), (3). Now choose 'LENS ROM DAT SD=>CAMERA' and wait for the completion.
08-21-2013, 01:57 AM   #190
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by htwxq Quote
(1) download MODSET.492 from RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: K-x Debug Mode Tutorial - AF Adjustment, put it on the root of your SD card using the PC.
(2) insert SD card into K-x, hold AV+/- button while turn the camera on (release the AV+/- button until the debug menu is brought up).
(3) scroll up or down to Development Menu4, choose 'LENS ROM DAT CAMERA=>SD' to dump LENSEEP.LNS to the SD card. turn off camera, eject the SD card and insert it into your PC.
(4) download the portable version of Notepad++ Notepad++ v6.4.5 - Current Version and unzip it to somewhere.
(6) open LENSEEP.LNS in Notepad++, replace those few hexadecimal C0 with 80 (as specified in the original post), and save.
(7) insert the SD card back into the camera, enter Development Menu4 as in (2), (3). Now choose 'LENS ROM DAT SD=>CAMERA' and wait for the completion.
That's awesome that you tell us how to do it with a K-x ! thank you !
09-19-2013, 05:28 PM   #191

Photos: Gallery
Mi lens starts to show some signs of SDM faults, have to wake it up before i use, so have decided to deactivate SDM.
The question is, do i have to modifie file from mi lens, or wil work already modified file from any other DA*16-50?
Thanks
09-23-2013, 12:08 PM   #192
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did anyone figure out how to do this on the K-5?
09-23-2013, 12:09 PM   #193
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
Did anyone figure out how to do this on the K-5?
Tired of the repairs?
09-23-2013, 02:02 PM   #194
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This thread is awesome and shows exactly what my "old" DA*16-50 needs !

Sadly though ...

1. I am absolutely not a computer/software expert and I wouldn't even know where to start in spite of the instructions. I mean, I am so totally the "visual" type that complicated written instructions always become a real problem for me.

2. In the case where I could find someone do this SDM deactivation (and screw drive activation), can a K7 be used ?

Is there any "visual" help available which actually shows how this is done?

Sorry about such (stupid) questions.

Cheers.

JP
09-23-2013, 02:04 PM   #195
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by htwxq Quote
Do you know if there is anything similar available when using a K7 instead of a K-x ?

Thanks

JP

Edited: I found where the instructions are for a K7 .... thanks anyway!

Last edited by jpzk; 09-23-2013 at 02:17 PM.