Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2013, 11:43 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Help needed with M 75-150 4 ! Problem solved !

Hi!

I just bought 75-150 just for 8euros. Wonderfull lens but, previous owner dropped it, and now there is bumb on the barrel.
I'm going to open lens to trying to repair it, and if You have repair manual or You have dissassembled this lens I like to know that.

Reason for repair is jamming zoom from 100mm to 150mm.

Thank You

LeGuillotine

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 30D  Photo 

Last edited by LeGuillotine; 01-26-2013 at 12:03 PM.
01-24-2013, 11:51 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Even if you do manage to take it apart, fixing a dent like that won't be easy. I would just pick up another copy, shouldn't cost too much!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-24-2013, 12:03 PM   #3

Original Poster
Hi

Yes I know it will be a hard job to do, but I'll do it just for hobby
If I can't repair it, I'm not loosing anything.
But if I can then I'm just winning

LeGu
01-24-2013, 12:03 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Agree, my copy is quite nice but the chances of you ever getting that to work properly are very small. Not worth the time. Get a good copy.

01-24-2013, 12:11 PM   #5

I wonder if a car bodywork repair shop could do anything with it? They have equipment to 'pull out' dents.
I wouldn't hold out too much hope of it working, but you've nothing to lose by asking them - and it would save dismantling it.
01-24-2013, 12:17 PM   #6

Original Poster
Hello

I know those "pull out" tools, but they are welded or boltet on that bumbed piece.

Btw Adam and jatrax... you are not very encouraging (maybe U r just realistic)

LeGu
01-24-2013, 12:39 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LeGuillotine Quote
Btw Adam and jatrax... you are not very encouraging (maybe U r just realistic)
I have fixed a number of lenses, there are lots of little things that can go wrong that you can repair if you have the tools and are handy. But getting the metal tube back into perfect alignment by pulling the dents is not something I would try. You will have to completely disassemble and then have a machine shop straighten the barrel. That might be possible using auto exhaust tools. But I doubt it would be pretty when done. And unless you have a friend who do it for free the cost of fixing the barrel will exceed the cost of a different lens.

If you want a hobby project, sure go ahead. But do not get hopes too high. And if it works you can come back and say "I told you, ha ha".

01-24-2013, 12:43 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
And if it works you can come back and say "I told you, ha ha".
I will...

Seriously, I'm pretty sure that I can't repair it, I have repaired some primes but in zoom lenses there are lots of moving parts etc.
But I will try..

LeGu
01-24-2013, 01:57 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Never opened this lens, but I suspect it will be similar to other lenses.
If it is only the tube behind the focus/zoom ring that is damaged, then just remove it, it has only a cosmetic function,
It will be fixed with three screws, when these are loosened,you can shift the tube up (if the dents allow it),
You will find new screws, which hold the rest of the front tube, and are also responsible for the adjustment of the constant focus during zoom action.
When the front section is removed, you can separate the dented tube from the rest, and try to 'fix' it.
01-26-2013, 11:37 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I don't think a body shop dent puller would be a realistic approach. It involves either drilling a hole, inserting a screw and pulling it out or spot welding a stud and pulling, both of which could damage internal parts. The lens still will need to be disassembled. A possible solution suggested by my evil twin, Joe the Cobber, is to cut the dented section out with a Dremel tool and wrap the barrel in duct tape.
01-26-2013, 12:01 PM   #11

Original Poster
YES!! I made, it was allmost easy job! Now it works like a dream!

If you want a hobby project, sure go ahead. But do not get hopes too high. And if it works you can come back and say "I told you, ha ha".
I don't say anything...

QuoteOriginally posted by glasbak Quote
Never opened this lens, but I suspect it will be similar to other lenses.
If it is only the tube behind the focus/zoom ring that is damaged, then just remove it, it has only a cosmetic function,
It will be fixed with three screws, when these are loosened,you can shift the tube up (if the dents allow it),
You will find new screws, which hold the rest of the front tube, and are also responsible for the adjustment of the constant focus during zoom action.
When the front section is removed, you can separate the dented tube from the rest, and try to 'fix' it.
It was just "cosmetic" piece.
First I took bayonet away, found some new screws to open etc. finally I could remove that tube with dent, and I managed to reshape it.

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I don't think a body shop dent puller would be a realistic approach. It involves either drilling a hole, inserting a screw and pulling it out or spot welding a stud and pulling, both of which could damage internal parts. The lens still will need to be disassembled. A possible solution suggested by my evil twin, Joe the Cobber, is to cut the dented section out with a Dremel tool and wrap the barrel in duct tape.
I'm glad that I managed to solve my problem without dremel

I took some photos of process, if someone NEED those pictures I can mail those.

LeGu
01-27-2013, 10:54 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LeGuillotine Quote
YES!! I made, it was almost easy job! Now it works like a dream!
Well done! Congratulations you have succeeded in restoring a wonderful lens. Nothing makes me happier than seeing a vintage tool brought back to use. I have restored electric saws, drill presses, numerous hand tools and a number of camera lenses. All of those things were made by craftsmen who expected them to have a long and useful life, and it gives me great joy to see them able to be used again.
01-27-2013, 03:12 PM   #13

Original Poster
Well done! Congratulations you have succeeded in restoring a wonderful lens. Nothing makes me happier than seeing a vintage tool brought back to use. I have restored electric saws, drill presses, numerous hand tools and a number of camera lenses. All of those things were made by craftsmen who expected them to have a long and useful life, and it gives me great joy to see them able to be used again.
Now it is part of geMs collection, I hope that I can get more geMs.

Some test shot.

Last edited by LeGuillotine; 05-29-2013 at 01:11 PM.
04-11-2013, 04:41 PM   #14

Hi!

Recently I inherited a MX with a M 75-150 f4 but, as it was improperly stored for a long time, it have fungus in all it's elements.

QuoteQuote:
I took some photos of process, if someone NEED those pictures I can mail those.
They could be invaluable for me, as I want to do the cleaning of this lens.

Could send-me the photos you took when disassembly yours?

Thank you and greetings from Brazil.
05-29-2013, 01:02 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rghisi Quote
Hi!

Recently I inherited a MX with a M 75-150 f4 but, as it was improperly stored for a long time, it have fungus in all it's elements.

They could be invaluable for me, as I want to do the cleaning of this lens.

Could send-me the photos you took when disassembly yours?

Thank you and greetings from Brazil.
Hi!

Welcome to forum.

I will send You those photos, and some tips tha I have learned my self. But Unfotunately You have to wait couple of days more.

LeGuillotine