Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2007, 11:32 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I caught a fish!

The Pentax Fisheye Zoom that is! And I thought I was going to have LBA! My wife got her first taste of this lens and instantly dropped the money for it. (IN CASE SHE READS THIS - THANK YOU HONEY!!)

These are my first pics ever posted on this site and they had to come from this lens! They were just test shots, nothing special, but the lens is already our household favourite.

All images below shot handheld in P mode. ISO 800. Resized in MS Paint (laugh at me now! I am too!)

Shooting myself at the closet (10 mm)

Mississauga City Hall from my apartment (sorry, glare coming from window, and a tad underexposed) (17 mm)

City Hall again (10 mm) note the building to the left. Gawd! I can see the other side (sorry about the reflections and underexposure again I'm scared to crash the lens through the window!)

My son taking a closer look at the fish - 6 inches from the lens (10mm) He's been itching to get his hands on my camera since this shot was taken and he couldn't stop giggling, until he went to bed.

01-07-2007, 12:22 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Hi Alvin:

It looks like you're having too much fun. Great shots.
01-07-2007, 05:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks SpecialK!

As excited as I am about this lens I quickly learned this is not for everyone. You have to be specific about where your subject is in the frame and make sure it is not lost. To me and my wife, and perhaps my son (you know children - they can think up the weirdest things at times), that's going to be fun, but for others, I can see this may drive an owner up the wall.

I'll be going to downtown Toronto today - my wife needs ideas for her sister's upcoming wedding so we'll be a the Bridal Show. While she's there, I'm going to see what this lens can do
01-07-2007, 05:36 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Great shots Alvin,
Your right about this lens not being for every one. It really does have many advantages especially in landscape shots. The only bad thing to this lens is you had better know where your feet are or they will also end up in the shot.

Congrats on the purchase and I'm looking forward to seeing more shots with the lens.

Good Shooting.
Cheers: David

01-07-2007, 07:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
Thanks SpecialK!

As excited as I am about this lens I quickly learned this is not for everyone. You have to be specific about where your subject is in the frame and make sure it is not lost. To me and my wife, and perhaps my son (you know children - they can think up the weirdest things at times), that's going to be fun, but for others, I can see this may drive an owner up the wall.

I'll be going to downtown Toronto today - my wife needs ideas for her sister's upcoming wedding so we'll be a the Bridal Show. While she's there, I'm going to see what this lens can do
cool shots, Alvin!
one thing to note..... don't take wedding photos with that lens unless the bride is REAL skinny
have fun in TO,

cheers

randy
01-07-2007, 07:27 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Photo Tramp Quote
The only bad thing to this lens is you had better know where your feet are or they will also end up in the shot.
David, you are right about that one. When I tried this out at the store the first time when the DS came out, I didn't realize it until I examined the shots fullsize. Tilt the camera down just ever so slightly, voila!. You can tell how long I've been waiting for this lens (and more especially a system)

I know this lens has a field of view of 180 degrees left to right at 10mm and about 100 degrees at 17mm but how about up and down? I'm guessing 90? Anyone?

My GBA (Gear Buying Addiction, although I do have a Game Boy Advance) - Three things I still want...telephoto zoom (think I'm going with the Tamron 70-300 but the used lens selection is very good at Henry's), a fast prime or should I go with a fast zoom (aaagh! so many choices!!) and a flash (also undecided. Need bounce, but swivel?).
01-07-2007, 07:39 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
a flash (also undecided. Need bounce, but swivel?).
Congrats on the fun lens! I went the cheap route and got the Zenitar 16mm FE, and I really enjoy it. Not quite as fishy as 10mm, but still pretty nifty! As for flash, I didn't think I'd need one, but now I've got it, I use it a good bit. Swivel is a Good Thing. Very handy if you want to do portrait orientation and still bounce off the ceiling. Good luck with the GBA, it's impossible to shake.

Julie

01-07-2007, 08:23 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
cool shots, Alvin!
one thing to note..... don't take wedding photos with that lens unless the bride is REAL skinny
have fun in TO,

cheers

randy
It's either that or she going to be quite some distance AWAY from the lens!
01-07-2007, 08:37 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by foxglove Quote
Congrats on the fun lens! I went the cheap route and got the Zenitar 16mm FE, and I really enjoy it. Not quite as fishy as 10mm, but still pretty nifty! As for flash, I didn't think I'd need one, but now I've got it, I use it a good bit. Swivel is a Good Thing. Very handy if you want to do portrait orientation and still bounce off the ceiling. Good luck with the GBA, it's impossible to shake.

Julie
Thanks, Julie. I was looking at that lens you've got too but my wife really wanted that exagerated "fishbowl" effect. Oh well, she's the "Financier" - lol. "Yes, dear?" (haha - am I being a good hubby yet? it will be 10 years in August.? )