Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2013, 07:58 PM   #1

Vivitar series 1 lens mounting

I have one question regarding using an old lens with the K-30:

Have an old Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm lens (and a smaller 50mm), does not completely mount as there is a tiny ~1/8" metal flange that prevents it from completely locking with the camera body. I can still focus and take photos, but I'm afraid a small jolt will knock the lens out of the body while shooting. Is there an adapter that will fix this problem? Or is this lens just not compatible?

Here are some photos showing what I believe to be the flange causing the mounting issues. Maybe I am just missing something simple?

Thank you in advance!

06-20-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by send2nate Quote
I have one question regarding using an old lens with the K-30:

Have an old Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm lens (and a smaller 50mm), does not completely mount as there is a tiny ~1/8" metal flange that prevents it from completely locking with the camera body. I can still focus and take photos, but I'm afraid a small jolt will knock the lens out of the body while shooting. Is there an adapter that will fix this problem? Or is this lens just not compatible?

Here are some photos showing what I believe to be the flange causing the mounting issues. Maybe I am just missing something simple?

Thank you in advance!
Are you sure it's a K-mount lens? The lower image looks suspiciously like an old Nikon mount to me. Not absolutely sure because I don't have any around for comparison.
06-20-2013, 08:15 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's a Nikon mount. The second photo shows N/AI in the black metal ring around the rear element. You can get it to mount and work but not exactly like it's a K mount, so it depends on how much you want to use these lenses.
06-20-2013, 08:15 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by John Poirier Quote
Are you sure it's a K-mount lens? The lower image looks suspiciously like an old Nikon mount to me. Not absolutely sure because I don't have any around for comparison.
Hey, John! Yes in fact these are lenses I borrowed from an old Nikon FE. Is there an adapter that can be used in this situation?

06-20-2013, 08:21 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
It's a Nikon mount. The second photo shows N/AI in the black metal ring around the rear element. You can get it to mount and work but not exactly like it's a K mount, so it depends on how much you want to use these lenses.
Thanks, Dave! I would like to use these lenses in the interim as they are all I have at the moment. I do get them to mount, but not completely. The series 1 is very heavy, and pops out with any big swing or bump.