Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2013, 11:11 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Sigma to start changing lens mounts

According to an article in the German Foto Magazin Sept 2013, Sigma is starting a service which changes the mount of the lens to another one for some 150-300 €. This applies to current lenses in the classes "Art", "Contemporary" and "Sports" and the lens has to be available in both mounts.

I wonder if there's really a demand for a service like this? Let's say I was switching from NEX to m43 and wanted to have my 5 Sigma lenses converted. That would cost me some 750-1500 €. I suspect I'd be better off selling the current lenses and buying similar 2nd hand ones in the new mount. Just how many Sigma lenses do you consider good enough to justify custom work like this?

Last edited by Raffwal; 07-28-2013 at 11:44 AM.
07-28-2013, 11:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
depend if it applies to previous lens too ! if only for current lens, i see this useful for big guns, not "normal" ones.

it's a good start for sigma to show it's attempt of be a good alternative to Canikon on customer service.
07-28-2013, 11:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
depend if it applies to previous lens too ! if only for current lens, i see this useful for big guns, not "normal" ones.
Nope. Only the three new mentioned lens classes.
07-28-2013, 11:40 AM   #4
Pentaxian

This will obviously be most interesting for those with Sigmas expensive FF glass, and mostly for users switching between Canon and Nikon DSLR.
This is a way of adding value to Sigma lenses and might get more users to buy their lenses, as the user will be less locked into a mount.

07-28-2013, 11:47 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If it's 300E and I had the 300 F2.8 or the 500 F4.5, I'd do it.
07-28-2013, 12:24 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Well, so much for getting the 120-300 f/2.8 and the 300-800 in Pentax mount...
07-28-2013, 12:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Smart, it provides added value for high-end lens owners.

07-28-2013, 04:24 PM   #8
Veteran Member

What is being reported in this thread is probably related to what is being reported here:

Sigma Poland is counting down to a “revolution” in 4 days
QuoteQuote:
"Sigma Poland has published a new website called Sigma Foto Revolution (rewolucja.sigma-foto.pl) that has a running countdown and a slogan that translates to "Destroy the system with Sigma, release is coming" or something like "Overthrow the system with Sigma, there is liberation". The use of the word "system" is very interesting."
But if it involves people having to pay hundreds of euros to change a lens mount, this idea won't exactly be setting the photo world on fire.

A modern implementation of the Adaptall concept may, however, be more attractive. Maybe that's what they have planned.
07-28-2013, 06:03 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The only other mount changing service I know of is Leitax.They charge anywhere from 58 to 75€. for the mount hardware and another 50€, if you want them to make the swap plus shipping. So, that is about 130€. for the entire process. Leitax had to do all the reverse engineering and parts manufacturing. Additionally, they support Contx, Leica, Olympus, Voigtlander to a wide range of mounts, K, Nikon, Canon, 4:3, M42, etc.

This has to be a lot simpler for Sigma since these are their own lenses and designs. No reverse engineering, plus they have all the original parts, and knowledge of the target mounts. I am not against anyone making a profit, it just seems that the freight is a bit high.

07-28-2013, 07:42 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
A modern implementation of the Adaptall concept may, however, be more attractive.
That's what Schneider-Kreuznach do:

Schneider 28mm f/2.8 PC Super-Angulon Manual Focus 06-039789NO

"Please be sure to purchase the T-Mount adapter that fits the camera you will be using."