Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2008, 01:03 PM   #1

Vivitar 90MM 2.8 Auto

So I did something of questionable intelligence, not because its probably a poor lens but because I didn't really know what I was buying.

I picked up on ebay for 20 USD a Vivitar 90MM 2.8 Macro Auto, I figured I really couldn't go too wrong but now I don't know how to get it on my K10D or what I need to do to focus the darn thing.

Can anyone help me out? I feel a little silly for jumping on something that I knew so little about.

--thrice

03-22-2008, 01:32 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I don't personally own the lens in question, but I'll go ahead and ask the obvious question. What lens mount does the Vivitar have? If it's a P/K mount, it should mount to the body like all your other lenses (assuming nothing on the lens is damaged). Maybe you could post a photo or 2 of the lens so we can help?
03-22-2008, 02:28 PM   #3

I have it and I have to say it is a wonderfull lens. A $20 it is a steal. I compared it to my Tamron SP 90/2.5, and the performance was very similar.

You can find samples at my flick page here:

Flickr: Photos from chr_sei
Flickr: Photos from chr_sei

And a thread about it at 'the other Pentax forum'

The Bokina 90mm sibbling shootout: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

And now take it go out and use it!
03-22-2008, 06:09 PM   #4

Original Poster
Groundloop, the part of this that is so embarassing is that I don't know what mount it is, it doesn't like look like a K mount for sure.

I'm beginning to wonder if its a Nikon F mount lens. The seller knew less about it than I do.

I'll post some pictures.

chse, the lens from you pictures has a silver ring near the base that my lens doesn't have, I hope I can make it work though because your pictures are great!

--thrice

03-22-2008, 08:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thrice, I would hazard a guess that you have this lens in T-mount (I seem to remember that's how it was produced, but I'm too lazy to go looking for the info). Now you have to go back to eBay and look for a T-mount to K-mount adapter. It'll probably cost you more than the lens did.

#1 Rule of eBay: Research your target product before bidding!

Of course, $20 for this lens is very good. I wonder how I didn't see it?

EDIT: Oops, I just read this, and I meant to write "TX" mount (similar to the "T4", its predecessor). This was Vivitar's "adaptall" mount of the 70's.

Last edited by Miserere; 03-23-2008 at 02:39 PM.
03-23-2008, 08:52 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks!

I guess I need to look into getting that adapter now...

--thrice
03-23-2008, 08:54 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by thrice Quote
chse, the lens from you pictures has a silver ring near the base that my lens doesn't have, I hope I can make it work though because your pictures are great!

--thrice
The Vivitar lens in the pictures is on the right side. The Tamron (with the silver ring) is on the left. Maybe post the number of the ebay auction and we can have a look on it, or paste a picture of the lens when you get it. If it is not for Pentax maybe you can sell it again with the right description.