Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2013, 03:16 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax 35mm f/2.4 -- stiff focus ring

I just received my order from BH today.. Pentax DAL 35mm f/2.4 lens.. my first autofocus prime. I was pretty excited until I realized it appears to be defective :c (

The focus ring is so incredibly stiff that my K-30 cannot even turn it. I should point out that I bought this from the used department where it was rated 9+ so be careful with those used buys.. they don't appear to test their products there fully before rating/selling them.

I've just sent BH an inquiry as I'm assuming this is going to require RMA. But anyone know WHY one of these lenses would have such an issue? Optically it appears gorgeous.. nothing else wrong except the incredibly stiff focus ring (that does turn from min to infinity but requires a bit more force than the camera can provide)

08-09-2013, 03:22 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The lens may have been dropped or the gears inside may have otherwise gotten damaged. I'm sure they'll take it back

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-09-2013, 03:31 PM   #3
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster
ah I see... Well sarcastic 'thank you' to whomever sold BH a defective/damaged lens on purpose knowing someone else would get your problem...

I'd be willing to take it apart if there was something easy to fix.. but at this point (knowing it could be physically damaged internally) I'll just not touch it and see if BH grants me a return.
08-09-2013, 09:21 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Return the lens. A lens rated 9+ should be in excellent condition and the focus ring should not be stiff. Bad on B&H for that... The lens focus ring should have been checked prior to sale.

My 5 cents...

08-09-2013, 11:14 PM   #5
Pentaxian

That lens normally has a very loose focusing ring. Don't try it on the camera again as it could bust the AF motor. Return it for a fix or replacement.
08-13-2013, 03:06 PM   #6
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, all. I returned it today got in on the Pentax Web Store deal.. 150 USD for the 35mm and 120 for the 50mm on-going NOW. (check deal forum)